[TWOIAF Spoiler] Why didn't Tywin buy a Valyrian Steel sword from....

Sages

Why didn't Tywin buy a valyrian steel sword from.... Qohor. They are the only ones that still know the secret to making it like the Valyrians. According to the world book its a closely guarded secret. It's even said that they cut a maesters hands off because they suspected he was stealing secrets!

Why didn't Tywin buy a valyrian steel sword from.... Qohor. They are the only ones that still know the secret to making it like the Valyrians. According to the world book its a closely guarded secret. It's even said that they cut a maesters hands off because they suspected he was stealing secrets!

Doesn't it state that they know how to rework Valyrian steel, rather than create it? Tywin obviously took advantage of this when he had Ice reworked by Tobho Mott (who was trained in Qohor) to make Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. To rework Valyrian steel, you need to have it in the first place.

They can rework it, but it can't be reforged and Tywin would have a tough time buying it from pretty much anywhere. I think Jon stated Lords would be more likely to sell their daughters than swords (or something to that effects), they are objects of immense value.

Doesn't it state that they know how to rework Valyrian steel, rather than create it? Tywin obviously took advantage of this when he had Ice reworked by Tobho Mott (who was trained in Qohor) to make Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. To rework Valyrian steel, you need to have it in the first place.

Ahh yes I just reread this bit. You are correct. Still though if I were tywin I would imagine that buying some valyrian steel from across the seas such as small arakah and such and having it reworked into a blade would be much more realistic than trying to get the noble houses in westeros to give up their blades.

Ahh yes I just reread this bit. You are correct. Still though if I were tywin I would imagine that buying some valyrian steel from across the seas such as small arakah and such and having it reworked into a blade would be much more realistic than trying to get the noble houses in westeros to give up their blades.

The issue is probably how much Valyrian steel is required to make a blade. It could very well require far more Valyrian steel than is easily attainable in small amounts. For all we know he may have been trying to acquire bits and pieces of Valyrian steel to get his own sword made but wasn't able to before Ice became available

Archived