Will Dany's dragons reproduce?

Eat My Steel

There has been much discussed about whether dargons may be ridden, who will ride, and why, but the prequel books made me think about the numbers of dragons there once were. It is a pretty straight forward question: Since dragons are essentially asexual (an-dragon-ous? ba dum dum!) and have been released into the wild, could they or will they reproduce somehow? Will dragons as a breed repopulate planetos?

I read a theory that the dragon that made a cave inside the temple room where they were kept had made a nest there to lay eggs, not based on anything other than the cave but it doesn't seem out of the question. There is also the possibility of other eggs hatching, or being hatched, for instance the supposed cache of dragon eggs on dragonstone.

I think not. Dany is the last of her line and so are her dragons. The bittersweet element is to see Daenerys of House Targaryen and her dragons extinguish and be forgotten like everything else in this world. As mighty as both her house and beasts are, everything must die. Valar Morghulis.

What's the point in dragons being born again into the world for the first time in a century for them to just die out again? I hope they reproduce. It would have to be at the end though. Another hatchling won't do anyone any good in the present timeline.

I am wandering if they, or at least one, will survive until the end of the books, reproducing is like a dream.

I think not. Dany is the last of her line and so are her dragons. The bittersweet element is to see Daenerys of House Targaryen and her dragons extinguish and be forgotten like everything else in this world. As mighty as both her house and beasts are, everything must die. Valar Morghulis.

Oh is she? Interesting.

There's no time. Two books to go. What could eggs or hatchlings contribute to the plot in that time?

What Dany's chicks can contribute to the real was?

I think dragons in this saga literally represent playing with fire and biting of more than you can chew. I think when the first dragons were created, long ago, by the forgotten people in Asshai, it was bad for the planet. I think the question should be 'should Dany's dragons reproduce?' And I think the answer to that is no.

I don't think so. But I hope they do. Dragons, just like direwolves, unicorns and mammoths, shouldn't die off because men don't want them around.

Unlike the other critters, I think men made dragons, in the ASoIaF universe. They are not indigenous - they are like a nuclear weapons, or an oil spill.

Why do you think that? I thought the books indicated the Valyrians found them. Just like fire wyrms.

They found what was left of them, after the Long Night. Before the Long Night they were everywhere. There are 3 origin theories (in TWoIaF) but I think I'm going with the Asshai one, because the Red Waste and shadowlands represent what happens to the world when dragons get out of control.

I was pretty sure they were born in Asshai before reading TWoIaF anyway, because of Bran's dream.

Oh, re the fire wyrms - I think they are more a byproduct of the dragons. Dragons (and fire wyrms) are magical, fire made flesh - they are the result of people in the deep dark history of Essos pissing around with things they shouldn't have, I am certain. The other critters in the universe are earthy and tangible.

I don't think Dragons are good for humanity.

Dragon rule seems damn stagnant (I got the dragons, I rule!) and if Westeros is to move forward and unstuck itself from perpetual middle ages, they need to shed the Targaryen heritage that, while glorious, seems to amount to three century without progress whatsoever, both societal and technological. So more of the same doesn't strike me as a very good thing.

They found what was left of them, after the Long Night. Before the Long Night they were everywhere. There are 3 origin theories (in TWoIaF) but I think I'm going with the Asshai one, because the Red Waste and shadowlands represent what happens to the world when dragons get out of control.

I was pretty sure they were born in Asshai before reading TWoIaF anyway, because of Bran's dream.

Oh, re the fire wyrms - I think they are more a byproduct of the dragons. Dragons (and fire wyrms) are magical, fire made flesh - they are the result of people in the deep dark history of Essos pissing around with things they shouldn't have, I am certain. The other critters in the universe are earthy and tangible.

Are you calling the dragons Jinn?

Also, by your reasoning, we should wipe out cows, and pigs, and dogs because we made them.

Tir take nature.

Are you calling the dragons Jinn?

Also, by your reasoning, we should wipe out cows, and pigs, and dogs because we made them.

Tir take nature.

Well, I'm not trying to get into real genetic manipulation of animals on Earth - other than I personally think house cats are a step too far but dogs are ok :D

This isn't quite the same thing as using blood and fire magic (possibly with a touch of demonic fornication) in a fantasy universe to create something totally unnatural to the world, which seems to have had devastating effects on it and quite possibly caused the Long Night. I'm saying that in the ASoIaF universe dragons are a fantastic parable for something like a nuclear weapon, for humans playing with fire and creating something beyond their control. I'm not sure if this lines up exactly with what a Jinn is? I thought a Jinn was more like an evil spirit?

Once a dangerous magical creature is created, even if by unsavory means, we can argue the ethics of its right to exist, for sure :D

What's the point in dragons being born again into the world for the first time in a century for them to just die out again? I hope they reproduce. It would have to be at the end though. Another hatchling won't do anyone any good in the present timeline.

i think the point is to defeat the Others and save Westeros, and basically to fulfill the prophecy. it's no coincidence the others are making their way back, dragons are hatched, and magic is more powerful. I think these dragons were born to fulfill the prophecy and to save Westeros. Dont think much else will happen with them after the Others are defeated and Dany and Jon sit the Iron Throne

Unmester, I really don't think dragons created the shadowlands or the Red Waste, and I don't think you really understand what the shadow lands are. The shadow lands are not a desolate wasteland, its a mountain valley that is so tall and narrow is almost always in the shadow of the mountains. The Red waste would not make sense to have been caused by dragons either, the Valyrians never extended their empire over there so any dragons that were present would be extremely old. Second when grass is burnt it comes back, dragons cannot change the climate of an area, the Red Waste was probably created by the breaking of the Arm connecting Westeros and Essos, which would have changed global ocean currents, in turn effecting the entire world, or the destruction of Valyria which would have also had a huge effect on climate.

I'm saying the Red Waste was caused before the Valyrian Empire aryannokill#2.

The Valyrian empire is 5,000 years old or so. Valyrians did not make dragons - people need to get this out of their heads. Valyrians found dragons hiding in a volcano chain and bonded with them - possibly on their own or possibly with help from the people of Asshai.

I'm saying the dragons were first created in Asshai more than 10,000 years ago. From here, they spread across the planet but were most concentrated on that mountain range you mention.

Have you rad any of TWoIaF yet?

No I will hopefully be getting it today.

However I still maintain that dragons would not have caused the Red Waste, we know there are cities in there that have turned to Ghost cities, but there had to have been food and water in plentiful supply once if those cities sprang up. That means at some point there was a real climate change, that's why I mention the arm or the doom.

Dragons did not cause the Red Waste. It appears to be part of an Essos-wide climate change resulting in the Red Waste, the Great Sand Sea, the Shrinking Sea, the Silver Sea, etc. The cause of this is unknown.

However, the Red Waste appears to have dried up after the Doom, as the Dothraki took the statues at Vaes Toloro north to Vaes Dothrak. Same with the Great Sand Sea, since the Dothraki pillaged two Hyrkoonish cities.

Really, what exactly happened during the Century of Blood?

Archived