Where's the Dayne info? And the FM?

Well, at least the Daynes get all the best names and monikers - Dorian Dayne, the Sword of the Evening, Samwell Dayne the Starfire...

Funny, how Samwell turned-out to be such a storied name and all of them except for our Sam were bad-ass warriors ;).

Sam is a bad-ass warrior. He is the first person for millenia, who killed an Other.

no way are the Daynes irrelevant.

The whole genesis of the House is steeped in prophecy. I figured the decision to exclude any tidbits is a result of the information being too revealing. Ironically, the exclusion of the info is revealing in the way those of us speculating to their importance know we're on to something,

no way are the Daynes irrelevant.

The whole genesis of the House is steeped in prophecy. I figured the decision to exclude any tidbits is a result of the information being too revealing. Ironically, the exclusion of the info is revealing in the way those of us speculating to their importance know we're on to something,

Don't want to get into a TV show debate here but if they were very important how will they get around the lack of Edric and (seeming) lack of Darkstar? Even the influence of Arthur on Jaimie as his true example of what it meant to be a decent man?

Right now, I'm thinking the only way to get around all that and still have them be important is if Ashara was Jon's mother. That makes them important dynastically without Edric, Gerold and Arthur. I would then have to guess the 'Blue Rose' at the Wall Dany saw was Arya? I don't believe that's true mind you but its hard to match the perceived importance of the Daynes and their lack of emphasis as a family.

Don't want to get into a TV show debate here but if they were very important how will they get around the lack of Edric and (seeming) lack of Darkstar? Even the influence of Arthur on Jaimie as his true example of what it meant to be a decent man?

Right now, I'm thinking the only way to get around all that and still have them be important is if Ashara was Jon's mother. That makes them important dynastically without Edric, Gerold and Arthur. I would then have to guess the 'Blue Rose' at the Wall Dany saw was Arya? I don't believe that's true mind you but its hard to match the perceived importance of the Daynes and their lack of emphasis as a family.

about the show: there's a lot missing. Rhaegar is a huge part of the story but he's only been mentioned a couple times in the series, there are already too many characters for the casual fan to keep track of and talking about more characters from the past with no face to put to them would just seem convoluted.

There's something to be said of Ned making the trip to bring Dawn to Starfall (and potentially Jon). The Daynes are up there with Howland Reed among figures who can tell us exactly what happened at the ToJ and their interest in prophecy can explain why it happened.

The book should have added some harmless details about the Daynes. I don't think we even know the names of Arthur and Lyanna's parents at this point. A little tidbit about them would have been nice and harmless. Or a cool story about young Arthur doing something improbable and heroic at a young age.

argh... that's my only discontent with the book, tbh. I was hoping to get some house words: Freys, Daynes, Griffins and Cleganes. Of the important houses, I think those are the only ones missing.

How could it be spoilers? I mean their words are a public knowledge. Everyone in Westeros either knows them or can easily find out about them. It's not that their words are "We know who Jon Snow's mum is" or "We are the descendants of Azor Ahai".

I agree that a bit more non-spoilerish info on the family would have been appreciated.

How could it be spoilers? I mean their words are a public knowledge. Everyone in Westeros either knows them or can easily find out about them. It's not that their words are "We know who Jon Snow's mum is" or "We are the descendants of Azor Ahai".

I agree that a bit more non-spoilerish info on the family would have been appreciated.

He means spoilers for us, not for the Westerosi.

For example, if the words of House Dayne were "We ended the Night", one would certainly think "Hey, Dawn = Lightbringer".

They can still add the Daynes to the show in the 6th season. Edric only had one important scene in the books, it's too expensive to have an actor for 1 scene. They can let him meet Arya when he becomes more important in the books.

The book should have added some harmless details about the Daynes. I don't think we even know the names of Arthur and Lyanna's parents at this point. A little tidbit about them would have been nice and harmless. Or a cool story about young Arthur doing something improbable and heroic at a young age.

And yet out of place. Daynes should generally not get more detail than Yronwoods, and if they get more than Fowlers then only because Starfall is closer to Oldtown.

He means spoilers for us, not for the Westerosi.

For example, if the words of House Dayne were "We ended the Night", one would certainly think "Hey, Dawn = Lightbringer".

Indeed. Or "we carry the light/dawn". Considering that there were Blackwood and Daynes ancestor for the current Targaryens (Maekar's wife, right?), that would put Arthur and Rhaegar as (third? fourth?) cousins and would give him a bit of First Men blood. There might be something there.

Freys and Cleganes not having words that I won't understand. It's not like they are big families. And the Griffin words are probably something like "we don't get fooled, never". :/

Better face and better wife too.

He didn't have a sexy sorcerer, though. Maekar got BR.

Mel without her glamour or BR is a pretty horrifying decision to make regardless of how much I drank, don't think I'd be too excited to bed either one.

Maybe BR was quite handsome in his youth? he was after all a Targaryen.

I guess you're right, when maekor ruled BR wasn't what he is now, though I was actually thinking about as they are now, barely alive and weir-root infested BR vs horrifically wrinkly and ancient glamourless-Mel, and the terror having to make such a choice would entail.

Maybe BR was quite handsome in his youth? he was after all a Targaryen.

I am shocked and appalled his handsome figure is even questioned. Shame on those who doubt it.

(GRRM described him as stern and forbidding, thin, not as tall as the other two male Great Bastards - but he was an exceptional archer and warrior, so he was strong too. Strong = muscles.)

House Clegane's words are "I don't bloody know, something about bite is worse than bark? You think up something clever or I'll cut your manhood off and shove it down your throat." They're rarely mentioned out of of embarrassment.

Archived