Why didn't (f)Aegon get a dragon egg from Magister Illyrio?

Murat

well? I just thought about it. If the Spider and the Fat Man have planed for (f)Aegon to become the next king why didn't he get one?

I mean there where 3 for the Targeryans and none for him - he could have given one to Deanerys one to Viserys and one to f(Aegon).

So why didn't he - and please don't say because it was a gift for her marriage - he could have easily given it to them on some other occasion.

Illyrio had no idea the things would have hatched. They were three rocks that he believed were practically worthless other then their luxury value, making them perfect for a wedding gift to Daenerys.

^^ This^^ Old fat Illyrio would have sat on those eggs himself if he though that would hatch them. He hadn't the foggiest notion that anyone could bring forth dragons from those rocks.

I think it's because he was hoping that Dany or Viserys would hatch them, being the last remaining members of Aerys and Rhaellas line.

Given that there was a prophecy that was pretty well known about this, it wasn't a bad gamble.

They weren't counting on it by any means, of course.

Illyrio had no idea the things would have hatched. They were three rocks that he believed were practically worthless other then their luxury value, making them perfect for a wedding gift to Daenerys.

Well he most definitely know that they are worth alot. So I think he would have used them wisely - and giving it as a wedding gift to a beggar princes shortly before she moves in to the Dothraki Sea without knowing that she will come back again for sure ... something is wrong here in my opinion.

"Before the lighting of Drogo's funeral pyre Ser Jorah tells Dany that one of her dragon's eggs could buy a ship to take her back to the Free Cities. Sell all three and she could be a wealthy woman all her days."

- from http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragon_egg

"If he’d known they were like to hatch, he’d would have sat on them himself."

- Ser Jorah toDany, on Illyrio's gift of dragon eggs

So I realise that it was not because he belived that they could hatch. but It could be used as a form of legitimation for f(Aegon) since the Targaryen children all got a dragon egg as a present. (Dunk & Egg)

^^ This^^ Old fat Illyrio would have sat on those eggs himself if he though that would hatch them. He hadn't the foggiest notion that anyone could bring forth dragons from those rocks.

Of course Illyrio didn't think sitting on them would hatch them - OTOH thinking someone from Aerys and Rhaellas line would hatch Them was actually prophecied.

Since they were worthless to him otherwise, as you say, why not go for it?

I think the original plan was for Viserys/Drogo to invade Westeros, and having the dragon eggs would lead the commons to believe that they were another of the "crazy" targs who were hellbent on conquest and dragons. "A Mad King"

Then, he has Aegon come swoop in and save the day as the "people's king" and the son of Rhaegar that everybody loved.

I think they were trying to play on a Mad King vs Rhaegar type of deal that may have almost happened before RR. He had no idea that the eggs would hatch though.

This question.

It was a gift for her marriage. Just because you refuse to accept it doesn't stop it from being true. Illyrio has the riches and power to just give three dragon eggs away. You fail to comprehend his financial power. They were dragon eggs and she was a Targaryen.

Look at it like this: Illyrio gave Dany 3 dragon eggs. Illyrio is trying to give Aegon the seven kingdoms (and possibly the sword Blackfyre).

I've mentioned before the Symbolism of the stone eggs.
Fossilised eggs from long dead dragons represent the dead House of Targaryens.
Dragons hatching have represented Targaryens coming to power before in dreams / visions, yet stone eggs can never hatch.

Illyrio is giving Dany a gift that says "You're from a dead House and you'll never gain any power."
But on the surface it's a very expensive gift, worthy of any princess. So taken at face value it seems to be an excellent gift but deeper down it's laced with meaning.

Of course the gift some what back-fired when they did actually hatch...

He gave them to her as a wedding gift because he could give them to her. Illyrio has a huge amount of wealth. Dany is a Targaryen - what better gift for a targaryen than dragon eggs - remember, the plan was for Dany to marry Drogo and bring his horde to Westeros, so keeping them on side with this gift only he could give was a smart play. An expensive wedding gift, but essentially meaningless...until she managed to hatch them.

Kind of backfired on him there.

He gave them to her as a wedding gift because he could give them to her. Illyrio has a huge amount of wealth. Dany is a Targaryen - what better gift for a targaryen than dragon eggs - remember, the plan was for Dany to marry Drogo and bring his horde to Westeros, so keeping them on side with this gift only he could give was a smart play. An expensive wedding gift, but essentially meaningless...until she managed to hatch them.

Kind of backfired on him there.

This and most posts in this thread totally dodge the question of why he wouldn't have given an egg to Aegon since it would be just as "appropriate" a gift.

If the eggs are an easy thing for Illyrio to get, he ought to get another one (or three!) for Aegon to support his Targ-ness. If the eggs are hard to get, he should keep one of the three for his dragon, not give them away to someone he expects will probably die.

Because he's not a real Targaryan?

First, the Blackfyres have just as much dragon association as the main Targ line as they were all dead by the time the split occurred. Second that's al the more reason to give him an egg since they are trying to pass him off as a Targ.

If the eggs are an easy thing for Illyrio to get, he ought to get another one (or three!) for Aegon to support his Targ-ness. If the eggs are hard to get, he should keep one of the three for his dragon, not give them away to someone he expects will probably die.

As I already said, illyrio probably had a stash saved up for him. But after Dany hatched theirs, Aegon showing up with one would be counterproductive: "What, you mean you can't hatch yours? Aren't you a Targ? That girl did!"

I think the dragon eggs were initially just given as a symbolic gesture and is evidence that Viserys and Dany were Illyrio and Varys' plan A as it were. When Viserys died and Dany exiled herself to Slavers Bay, only then did they decide to go with young Griff.

If Aegon was who he said he was, he would've been the primary plan as his claim is more legit and he seems less insane than Viserys.

As I already said, illyrio probably had a stash saved up for him. But after Dany hatched theirs, Aegon showing up with one would be counterproductive: "What, you mean you can't hatch yours? Aren't you a Targ? That girl did!"

I get what you said now, that's an interesting possibility. However I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't have given him the eggs long ago.

It just seems extremely likely to me that Illyrio and Varys would have known about the prophecy regarding Rhaella and Aerys line - why not give her some eggs and see if it works, and if it does, try to recuit her into Aegons cause? These are WMD we are talking about after all.

Archived