Why didn't (f)Aegon get a dragon egg from Magister Illyrio?

Murat

I get what you said now, that's an interesting possibility. However I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't have given him the eggs long ago.

It just seems extremely likely to me that Illyrio and Varys would have known about the prophecy regarding Rhaella and Aerys line - why not give her some eggs and see if it works, and if it does, try to recuit her into Aegons cause? These are WMD we are talking about after all.

Maybe he did. Did Tyrion check the entire poleboat and got an inventory from five years ago? No? Then how could he even know?

Also A poor first mate on a pole boat with dragon eggs may draw some suspicion?

This is the first argument I've seen about this that makes sense

What bothers me about the eggs is that they can function to prove Aegon's legitimacy as a Targ. Of course, they're not a conclusive proof but they would convince some people

Not knowing they would hatch is not a good enough reason, because after they did hatch wouldn't you think he would try to get more to give to Aegon.

True, if Illyrio knows that he is a fake then it would be unnecessary.

The real reason IMO: GRRM did not know he would bring fAegon back until after he wrote GOT, and giving more dragon eggs would be weak storytelling.

Not knowing they would hatch is not a good enough reason, because after they did hatch wouldn't you think he would try to get more to give to Aegon.

True, if Illyrio knows that he is a fake then it would be unnecessary.

The real reason IMO: GRRM did not know he would bring fAegon back until after he wrote GOT, and giving more dragon eggs would be weak storytelling.

:bs:

1) You don't know whether Illyrio gave any eggs to Aegon either way.

2) Clues for Aegon's possible survival were included as early as Game.

If he thought there was the slightest chance of them hatching there's no way they're ever out of his sight, much less given to anyone else.

He considered them rare and pretty rocks.

he knew they could not hatch if he kept them. There was a infinitesimal chance of the prophecy being true so he sent them with the Targ kids.

:bs:

1) You don't know whether Illyrio gave any eggs to Aegon either way.

2) Clues for Aegon's possible survival were included as early as Game.

1. Well I don't disagree here, but I am going off the basis of this question, which is that he didn't give him an egg or eggs.

2. Clues for possible survival are not the same as what I am talking about. There are clues that Tyrion could be a Targ, or that Ashara Dayne is Jon's mother, or any number of theories. That doesn't mean that they aren't coincidences, or clever writing to leave doors open or to leave false paths. The conversation between Illyrio and Varys that Arya overheard never even hints to Aegon. The only mention is Daenerys. While it's true that they could have talked about him out of earshot, why do things need to be delayed for Dany to conquer with Dothraki if Aegon is their real plan. Yes, this conversation or lack of mention doesn't prove anything, which is why I said IMO.

If Aegon is not the real deal and is only a speed-bump for someone else, then why is it necessary for GRRM to have thought about him before he wrote the first book. GRRM has mentioned numerous times that he doesn't have everything figured out, but he knows the end game of the major characters. I wouldn't consider a fAegon a major player.

What clues were in Game?

For example that Aegon's face was gone. But you should probably ask some od the really old oldtimers. Because the theory that Aegon would show up was around back then, but I wasn't.

1. Well I don't disagree here, but I am going off the basis of this question, which is that he didn't give him an egg or eggs.

2. Clues for possible survival are not the same as what I am talking about. There are clues that Tyrion could be a Targ, or that Ashara Dayne is Jon's mother, or any number of theories. That doesn't mean that they aren't coincidences, or clever writing to leave doors open or to leave false paths. The conversation between Illyrio and Varys that Arya overheard never even hints to Aegon. The only mention is Daenerys. While it's true that they could have talked about him out of earshot, why do things need to be delayed for Dany to conquer with Dothraki if Aegon is their real plan. Yes, this conversation or lack of mention doesn't prove anything, which is why I said IMO.

If Aegon is not the real deal and is only a speed-bump for someone else, then why is it necessary for GRRM to have thought about him before he wrote the first book. GRRM has mentioned numerous times that he doesn't have everything figured out, but he knows the end game of the major characters. I wouldn't consider a fAegon a major player.

1. And I criticize that baseless assumption.

2. GRRM is a good author.

I think the original plan was for Viserys/Drogo to invade Westeros, and having the dragon eggs would lead the commons to believe that they were another of the "crazy" targs who were hellbent on conquest and dragons. "A Mad King"

Then, he has Aegon come swoop in and save the day as the "people's king" and the son of Rhaegar that everybody loved.

I think they were trying to play on a Mad King vs Rhaegar type of deal that may have almost happened before RR. He had no idea that the eggs would hatch though.

I'm into this idea. The old good Targaryen/bad Targaryen routine.

For example that Aegon's face was gone. But you should probably ask some od the really old oldtimers. Because the theory that Aegon would show up was around back then, but I wasn't.

Another one from Game: Varys talks to Ned about Rhaenys's death but doesn't say anything about Aegon's.

As for Illyrio: There is no way they knew the eggs were going to hatch. This "ooh because prophecy" thing doesn't make much sense; if they thought the eggs would hatch, why not maintain possession of the Targs AND the eggs, so they could take custody of any hatchlings? If Illyrio thought they might hatch, ceding custody of them was the stupidest thing he could have done. He gave them to her to show Drogo got what he paid for, and to potentially pay for ships/sellswords.

As for Aegon, we have no real idea of what he does or doesn't have or what they ultimately intend to give him. So posing any questions based on what Aegon has or doesn't have is ultimately moot, because we don't know.

1. And I criticize that baseless assumption.

2. GRRM is a good author.

1. That's fine.

2. I never said he isn't. These things are not mutually exclusive. He himself has said that he hasn't had everything figured out from the beginning. Believe me, if Aegon is real and/or ends up playing a major part in the end of this series, I will be the first person to say, "Wow those subtle hints in the first book ended up coming to fruition in the final." But if he is a fake, I don't see any problem with GRRM thinking of that angle after he wrote GOT. Did he also have Quentyn or Victarion fully figured out at the beginning as well? Maybe, maybe not. In fact, his ability to work it in rather seamlessly is a testament to his writing and not a knock on it.

1. That's fine.

2. I never said he isn't. These things are not mutually exclusive. He himself has said that he hasn't had everything figured out from the beginning. Believe me, if Aegon is real and/or ends up playing a major part in the end of this series, I will be the first person to say, "Wow those subtle hints in the first book ended up coming to fruition in the final." But if he is a fake, I don't see any problem with GRRM thinking of that angle after he wrote GOT. Did he also have Quentyn or Victarion fully figured out at the beginning as well? In fact, his ability to work it in rather seamlessly is a testament to his writing and not a knock on it.

As far as I remember, the three initially planned books were named A Game of Thrones, A Dance with Dragons and A Time for Wolves. The second one features Aegon pretty prominently.

I've mentioned before the Symbolism of the stone eggs.

Fossilised eggs from long dead dragons represent the dead House of Targaryens.

Dragons hatching have represented Targaryens coming to power before in dreams / visions, yet stone eggs can never hatch.

Illyrio is giving Dany a gift that says "You're from a dead House and you'll never gain any power."

But on the surface it's a very expensive gift, worthy of any princess. So taken at face value it seems to be an excellent gift but deeper down it's laced with meaning.

Of course the gift some what back-fired when they did actually hatch...

Agreed. Love the symbolism of egg hatching.

He fancied himself in love with Dany and fully expected he was sending her to her death, this was going to be the last time he'd ever see her. So he gave her an over the top wedding gift, perfectly fitting for a Targaryen and one which he can afford, to make her happy, see her smile, earn her gratitude.

If he thought there was a possibility they'd hatch he'd not given them to her, if he thought the eggs would make a difference to the perception of Aegon's legitimacy he'd not have given them or he has more for Aegon.

I think the dragon eggs were initially just given as a symbolic gesture and is evidence that Viserys and Dany were Illyrio and Varys' plan A as it were. When Viserys died and Dany exiled herself to Slavers Bay, only then did they decide to go with young Griff.

If Aegon was who he said he was, he would've been the primary plan as his claim is more legit and he seems less insane than Viserys.

but JonCon had been grooming Aegon since he was 4-5 years old. He was always plan A. Viserys was older and could be used to be the initial wave of his invasion.

Apparently anybody can get their hands on eggs with enough money. Dragon eggs wouldn't convince anybody.

They would convince the smallfolk and even some gullible lords. I mean, we're talking about people who thought Renly's ghost showed up to fight in the Blackwater

And dragon eggs will always be better than nothing

Archived