Find the hidden man in the Night's Watch

Valyrian Lance

"If a faceless man is going to come here and hide, he'd probably kill me and take my face. Not that I'm complaining, though. I never liked my face anyway."

- Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd, next Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, just you wait & see.

"I didn't choose the Commander life, the Commander life chose me. Literally actually, they picked me out of a hat, I had nothing to do with it."

Jaqen H'ghar was with Yoren, travelling to the Wall to join the Night's Watch. I can not think of any likely target to assassinate there, I think that he may have been on a surveillance mission, to report back to the House of Black and White on what was happening at the wall. This means that the Faceless men are aware of The Others and the threat that they represent. Although H'ghar's mission was interrupted when Yoren was killed, he could still have made it to the Wall or another Faceless Man could have been sent.

Dolorous Edd, next Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, just you wait & see.

"I didn't choose the Commander life, the Commander life chose me. Literally actually, they picked me out of a hat, I had nothing to do with it."

Yes, but only as place holder for Lord Commander Slayer.

Not really seeing the point. Jon is a better swordsman and fighter than any that you named, so I don't really see why they would be useful in saving him if the time came.

the raven did save him, technically. Told him to "burn" the wight.

the raven did save him, technically. Told him to "burn" the wight.

Well, I specifically was talking about the men named. The raven is definitely supernatural help (probably BR), just like Ghost is. My thoughts are that BR is watching over Jon.

Well, I specifically was talking about the men named. The raven is definitely supernatural help (probably BR), just like Ghost is. My thoughts are that BR is watching over Jon.

more than likely bloodraven, agreed. still, i would like it to be someone else because it's so expected to be bloodraven.

thing is, i know in bran's dream when he FIRST meets the three-eyed crow, it asks him for corn, and thats specifically the connection to mormonts raven and it doesnt have to be.

could it be another? a previous lord commander trapped in the crow via second life (varamyr) logic?

more than likely bloodraven, agreed. still, i would like it to be someone else because it's so expected to be bloodraven.

thing is, i know in bran's dream when he FIRST meets the three-eyed crow, it asks him for corn, and thats specifically the connection to mormonts raven and it doesnt have to be.

could it be another? a previous lord commander trapped in the crow via second life (varamyr) logic?

I don't think it's a previous LC for this reason:

In TWoW Theon chapter, we have a bunch of ravens all chanting 'tree! tree!" knowingly when Asha suggests that Theon be executed "Northerner-style"...by being beheaded in front of a heart tree.

BR has a thousand eyes and one...he can see through many ravens and I think he is watching Jon through LC Mormont's raven just like he's watching Theon with those other ravens.

I don't think it's a previous LC for this reason:

In TWoW Theon chapter, we have a bunch of ravens all chanting 'tree! tree!" knowingly when Asha suggests that Theon be executed "Northerner-style"...by being beheaded in front of a heart tree.

BR has a thousand eyes and one...he can see through many ravens and I think he is watching Jon through LC Mormont's raven just like he's watching Theon with those other ravens.

oh no i agree, i too think it's bloodraven. i also acknowledge it could be someone else. and i actually hope it is, thats just the kind of twist im looking for -- unexpected

i think it's also my extreme discomfort with bloodraven in general. ever since he was introduced, now automatically he's behind everything, warging everyone, and in every animal.

it's the concept im against moreso than the logic, i promise.

oh no i agree, i too think it's bloodraven. i also acknowledge it could be someone else. and i actually hope it is, thats just the kind of twist im looking for -- unexpected

I agree- there's always a chance it's someone else. But BR is definitely the most likely culprit.

I believe there may be a hidden man in the Night's Watch. Someone who is more than what they seem.

Maybe he is an agent of Howland Reed sent to keep Jon safe. Maybe he is an agent of Howland Reed sent to deliver Robb's Will to Jon at the right moment. Maybe he is Howland Reed. Maybe he is an agent of someone else working against Jon. Maybe Benjen is a faceless man, and he is still alive in the Night's Watch. The reason can shape the person that ends up being the hidden man, but any reason could work.

A couple of premises:

1. He most likely would want to be assigned to the order of Steward because that is where Jon was assigned.

2. He most likely would want to be assigned to the order of Steward because they for the most part are left out of the fighting.

3. He may have came to the Night's Watch around the same time or after Jon Snow, but that is not a necessity.

4. He stands out in some way in the story so far, or else there would be no way to know him yet (which may be true, but doesn't help with theory making)

I have some likely candidates and would happily add to them or exclude some.

Satin: The Oldtown whore, found in Gulltown, who admittedly followed the seven, but swore his vows in front of the heart-tree seems to be around Jon a lot and is named his personal steward.

Hop-robin: Howland Reed. The clubfoot makes him ill-suited for ranging or building. Came to Castle Black after Jon. Jon helps to train him.

Owen the Oaf: Skilled carpenter yet very dim-witted due to his mother dropping him on his head (likely excuse). Always seems to be around. Prophetic dream about Stannis Baratheon's saving of the wall. Steward.

Alliser Thorne: Looks to be working against Jon, but is there a better cover than his if he was actually trying to help Jon (I know not likely)

Bowen Marsh: same as Alliser

Are there any I missed? Could any of these guys not be the hidden man? Is it crazy to think there is a hidden man in the Night's Watch?

Hate the idea, love the idea, I don't care. I will be there to say I told you so, when a hidden man in the Night's Watch is revealed in the coming books.

Sorry pressed the wrong button in last non post.

Bedwyke(Giant),he seems about the right size, he is skilled at climbing trees, he is discribed by Jon as a well repected Ranger (demonstrating skills that he could have passed on to Meera) Unfortunately Jon promoted him and packed him off to Icemark,which would add a nice peice of dramatic irony to the plot.

Bowen Marsh seems like a fine option. His name is Marsh, which seems to indicate he is from the Neck. Howland Reed probably received supernatural guidance that told him Jon would take the Black, and that he should send a capable individual to the Wall to make sure everything would be in order when Jon became LC.

He did his best to give wise council to Jon, and it's plain to see that the Ides of Marsh was merely an attempt to temporarily incapacitate him, to stop him from getting killed for real when he went after the Boltons.

Also, it was needed so that Jon becomes AAR. Marsh realised that there was a star bleeding, wounds smoking, and then purposely shed a tear to complete the set of signs and fulfill the prophecy. He will also put Jon besides all that salted and smoked food (just to make sure).

(that was the real reason why he was so worried about the shortage of food. If the smoked and salted beef wasn't around when needed, how could Jon be revived and save the world?)

It's probably Satin though.

Archived