Your Strategy to Conquer this Region: The North

James Steller

Here's a new series of topics starting with the conquering of the North.

You are in command of an army. You can start from ONE of these regions: Iron Islands, Riverlands, Vale, Essos. However, you CAN divide your army and send it to attack different parts of the region.

Your army numbers 30,000 men, a third of which is cavalry. You have enough money to buy transport for all of them and twenty warships should you need to sail on water.

The North isn't involved in any other war so it will rally under the Starks against you, however slowly or not. On your side though, we're assuming the North is independent and has no allies in Westeros to call on. Also, no access to story characters on your side whichever region you choose to come from.

What is your strategy to conquer it?

I'd say twenty warships are more than enough to carry a force that'll stabilish a bridgehead somewhere in the Northern shore, fortify it and hold the position as the warships slowly carry the rest of the army. I'd land somewhere in the Wolfswood shore, plenty of lumber to build a fortified camp and hold it for a few days.

Turn his lords of the dreadfort by promising them the power of the North, grant the Dustin's extended land as well as the hand of my daughter, marry heir to Manderly's granddaughter, convince the II to join with promise I will defend their rights to rule BI, and from their wait till my allies take MC and march to the heart of the North, Winterfell.

Step 1: Command best Nights to take Black.

Step 2: Send them to the Wall, with commands to kill off Black Brothers

step 4. Let the Wildlings invade the North, ravaging it.

Step 5: swoop in to save the north.

Step 2.5: Be mobbed by entire Westeros.

Step 4.5: The Wildlings are massacred by about 1% of the Northern forces.

Starting from Braavos I'd go straight for White Harbor, bringing my full force on them. I'd capture their ships and close the port so the North can't send or receive reinforcements.

After that, I'd leave a reasonable garrison in WH and head for Moat Cailin that is not too far to the south-west. Capture it and hold it against any southron reinforcements.

With that done, I would use the same tactic Theon used and harass some village (probably Hornwood or Torrhen' Square) to lure Winterfell's army out of its walls and try to capture it.

After that, I would maybe consider peace from the Northmen on MY terms, telling them that I will leave their way of life intact, promise no more bloodshed on condition that I keep Winterfell.

I think that without taking WF early (and without dragons), a standard military conquest of the north would be quasi impossible because of the closed/isolated nature of the Northmen that made sure that they could be able to withstand prolonged siege.

Ok, apparently folks are taking that situation serious. Let's look at it:

Step one: I send my 20 warships out. Lord Manderly's 50 sink them.

Step two: The KitN tells me to try again, he'll even let me land unmolested since I'm now lacking a fleet.

Step three: I send my 30,000 men against the 70,000 men of the North and lose.

Step four: The KitN tells me to try again, he won't raise any troops this time.

Step five: I face the most difficult enemy of all, logistics, and lose.

Step six: The KitN suffers a heart attack from laughing at me floundering and dies. I win.

Again, the 50 ships Manderly has in ADWD is not in play here. He hasn't prepared for total war. And besides, who says he'll be completely prepared for your invasion? Who says any of them will be? You have the element of surprise and the ability to land on the east or west coasts, however north or south you want to start from.

And in answer to Blazfemur, I meant the term 'conquer' as in toppling the leaders of the North and claiming the title as your own. You can try to turn houses against each other, you can promise some of them rewards in doing so (ex. promotion in rank over their rivals?) but you need to be the one ruling the north.

And again, no southern reinforcements will be helping the north, and neither will the Night's Watch. The north on its own, unaware of your impending arrival, whether it's a peaceful-looking ruse to lull them into complacency, or a full on invasion from the start.

Starting from Braavos I'd go straight for White Harbor, bringing my full force on them. I'd capture their ships and close the port so the North can't send or receive reinforcements.

After that, I'd leave a reasonable garrison in WH and head for Moat Cailin that is not too far to the south-west. Capture it and hold it against any southron reinforcements.

With that done, I would use the same tactic Theon used and harass some village (probably Hornwood or Torrhen' Square) to lure Winterfell's army out of its walls and try to capture it.

After that, I would maybe consider peace from the Northmen on MY terms, telling them that I will leave their way of life intact, promise no more bloodshed on condition that I keep Winterfell.

I think that without taking WF early (and without dragons), a standard military conquest of the north would be quasi impossible because of the closed/isolated nature of the Northmen that made sure that they could be able to withstand prolonged siege.

You can't head for Moat Cailin when 5,000 Boltons, 2,000 Hornwoods, 2,000 Woolfields, 1,500 Lockes, and 2,500 Flints are besieging you at WH. And that's not even including any of the 8,000 Manderly men.

Really, unless you're an utter genius, you just can't militarily conquer any kingdom except maybe the Stormlands with just 30,000 men.

Again, the 50 ships Manderly has in ADWD is not in play here. He hasn't prepared for total war. And besides, who says he'll be completely prepared for your invasion? Who says any of them will be? You have the element of surprise and the ability to land on the east or west coasts, however north or south you want to start from.

So what? See step three.

Alright alright, let's up the manpower to 45,000 men, same cavalry-infantry proportions. And keep in mind you have all your soldiers at hand while the North takes a long time to muster its full force together.

Just admit that big alliances with several 100,000 men could not take the North. Not once in history. It's simply not going to work.

The only way you could conquer the North with less than 50 000 men is for someone to betray the Starks. You would need to have the Boltons on your side and hope that the Karstarks and other major houses don't get involved. Which of course they would get involved since you are trying to conquer their home.

Take Barrowtown by surprise landing your troops with the warships you have and wait for the Starks to gather their host. Have the dreadfort men and some of your own attack the Stark host by surprise like Ramsay did at the siege of Winterfell. Swoop in with your heavy cavalry during the confusion and break the Stark host.

Assuming that all goes perfectly you may be able to hold the North for a while. But eventually another host will be gathered and you will be killed with your 45 000 men.

Archived