*SPOILERS* The Slow Regard of Silent Things *SPOILERS*

Slick Mongoose

While I can sympathize with Auri to some extent (her hands must be a real mess from all that washing!), I guess I just don't find her all that interesting, so I was more irritated than intrigued by such a long account of her eccentricities.

I also got the impression that she'd been (nearly?) sexually assaulted at some point in her past, but it's also possible that she was remembering some unwanted human contact that happened after she "cracked". In that state, pretty much any interaction with other people is going to be scary.

Before reading this story, I'd just assumed that her insanity was magic-induced. Now I'm not so sure.

Second post is up.

We really only have confirmation that she used any magic at all for the candle. The rest could still just be things. In fact, the kiss and the safe place to stay, while full of meaning, appear to be entirely mundane. I'm certainly interested to konw if there are hints one way or the other about the rest, though.

I agree and didn't mean that she shaped any other gift, but I think we have confirmation that the qualities the thing losses are "true" and that she "saw" them in the name of the thing. The ring really does keep secrets in some sense. Auri "knows" that.

As I read Auri's story, I was very much reminded of the hermit in the Jax story.

WMF, Ch88:

"I am a listener," the old man said. "I listen to things to see what they have to say."

"You need to get a long ways away from people before you can learn to listen properly."

"It's tricky, proper listening. But once you have it, you'll know the moon down to the bottoms of her feet."

He lifted the pack until the knotted cord was in front of his face. "I'm terribly sorry," he said. "But would you open up?" He paused. "Yes. I apologize. He won't do it again." The knot unraveled

"Can't you hear them? Most things whisper. These things shout."

Two peas in a pod, Auri and the Hermit.

Ninefingers, tbh that's what I figured her secret at the bottom of things, that even Mandrag didn't know, was. Listening.

So,

E'lir = Seer

Re'lar = Speaker

El'the = tbd

Gilthe* = Listener?

*This term shows up once ever, and I've always taken it to be the name for the rank one attains when getting their guilder, as opposed to the object itself.

I personally could not have been less thrilled with this novella. 96 pages of a schizophrenic girl playing in the sewers was about the most boring read that I have had in years. It is such a shame also, because if the character would have been more explored as far as back story and human interaction, it could have been interesting. As it stands, I feel like I paid $1 for every item that Auri moved to its perfect place.

I personally could not have been less thrilled with this novella. 96 pages of a schizophrenic girl playing in the sewers was about the most boring read that I have had in years. It is such a shame also, because if the character would have been more explored as far as back story and human interaction, it could have been interesting. As it stands, I feel like I paid $1 for every item that Auri moved to its perfect place.

Thank gawd I wasn't the only one feeling this way. I agonized through it. It saddens me because I love the series so far. The Lightning Tree was excellent, but this one made me feel like I was drudging through the mind of the mentally ill. That said, I think she is a moon godess who obviously looks at the world through a different lens. when Kvoth gets the pandoras box open (because he's the nephew of Lackless) then he will set her free and everything will be in their proper place...back to the moon. I loved Auri before reading this... Now I'm concerned she's going to hurt Kvothe...

It's funny, I thought Rothfuss' little afterword where he apologizes if you didn't like it was crazy, I thought it was a good story, better than his normal, bloated books.

Yet, it seems he wasn't wrong in that a lot of people really wouldn't like it.

Was anyone else hoping for some tiny hint that perhaps she's not completely insane and that she just senses things that others don't? If there was some such hint, then I missed it, but then I can't remember all the details about how magic works in these books.

Was anyone else hoping for some tiny hint that perhaps she's not completely insane and that she just senses things that others don't? If there was some such hint, then I missed it, but then I can't remember all the details about how magic works in these books.

I think it's clear that she's a listener, like the hermit in the Jax story.

Rather than "insane", I'd categorize her as "has other priorities" that the rest of us can't understand.

There were hints. If your memory wasn't serving you well, they were probably overwhelmed by the surface craziness of anthropomorphizing objects and whatnot. Ninefingers notes one of tge parallels that, if it had been fresh in your mind, would have suggested that she wasn't only cracked. That rather she was perhaps listening to them like the hermit listened to the knot and the folding house.

When you compare that to Alder Whin raving about the cobblestones it seems like an intentional spectrum of responses tobthe same stimuli. Some folks can handle it well. Others crack.

There were hints. If your memory wasn't serving you well, they were probably overwhelmed by the surface craziness of anthropomorphizing objects and whatnot. Ninefingers notes one of tge parallels that, if it had been fresh in your mind, would have suggested that she wasn't only cracked. That rather she was perhaps listening to them like the hermit listened to the knot and the folding house.

When you compare that to Alder Whin raving about the cobblestones it seems like an intentional spectrum of responses tobthe same stimuli. Some folks can handle it well. Others crack.

None of this sounds familiar, I'm afraid. Guess I should've studied harder for the test.

Heh. I kind of enjoyed it but I definitely can't remember the last time I was frequently thinking about how much I paid for a book during reading it.

Oddly enough, I wound up liking this. Oddly because I haven't read any Name of the Wind or sequels. I read it in the store, and it grew on me -- VERY slowly -- to the point that I bought it.

The cover was an influence, I admit. (That and the fact that it was signed.) But seriously, I think coming into the thing from a position of near-complete ignorance** might have been best. For me it was just a character study of an unknown girl, but the language was evocative and I did care about her and wanted to speculate about her motives.

Also there's a big (and annoying. I was annoyed. I'm sorry!) intro telling me "You'll HATE this if you haven't read the series" so maybe I'm just really contrary.

**I know a bit of character and plot info from summaries, but I couldn't tell you what the overall point of the series is.

You're right. :wideeyed:

(I've just gone to check and see if the US version had the same intro, along the lines of "everyone is going to hate this book except everyone I showed it to loved it!" And huh. If the Amazon preview is anything to go by, the US version does NOT seem to have this section. Hmm.)

Anyway it took me a while to get into, and then a while after I was done to decide how I felt about it, but overall yeah, I think I liked it.

Archived