Dany's perspective of her father

yankee211

It irks me that Barristan will not tell Dany the truth about how her father is a cruel person and that what he had done to the starks justifies the rebellion. Do you think Dany views her father as a just king in what is told to her by her brother and Barristan.

From my readings, she doesn't dwell on her father much at all. She does reflect on her brother though in the fondest lights. I think she's heard enough about her father to know she doesn't need to hear anymore. It's not Barristan's place to say, "her, your dad was a real prick, you know that?" If Dany asks, I'm sure Barristan will give an honest answer, although he'll do so as courteously as possible, as would be expect of a Kingsquard/Queensguard

that's a good point, I remember in the readings that her brother seems to give Dany vague facts about the Aerys. I don't remember which chapter it was, but Dany did ask Barristan what her father was like as a king and I remember Barristan giving her another vague answer (Jorah did the same thing as well).

I don't think Viserys was around Aerys all that much. he was just a kid when his mother took him to Dragonstone (about 8, iirc). So, he probably didn't know what was going on in the world too much. But I also think that his mother may have shielded him from his father's craziness (most mothers would). So Viserys really probably didn't have much to tell her other than what he parroted from men who were loyal to the Targs.

I would be wary about telling Dany too much that displeased her. She seems to not take too kindly to that...Barristan already had one sewer bath to remind him of that as well as seeing slavers executed and burned. And Aerys wasn't always crazy, who knows what Dany could turn into. I would keep my mouth shut if I were him too, or make sure to leave shortly after telling her the truth.

It irks me that Barristan will not tell Dany the truth about how her father is a cruel person and that what he had done to the starks justifies the rebellion. Do you think Dany views her father as a just king in what is told to her by her brother and Barristan.

I believe it will embolden Dany to restore her family name.

I think she knows deep inside, that her father was a prick. She is not stupid not to pick up the hints dropped by Barristan. If Viserys was his father's son, Dany would know what kind of man her father was. But she doesn't know how far his madness goes: which is why I'd love a meeting between her and Jaime, in which she listens to him at least for the sake of a show

Thinking about it, I don't think she and Barristan talk about her family all that much. And when they do it's almost always about Rhaegar.

I do think I remember Dany making an offhand comment about the "Usurpers" (specifically Ned?) and Selmy very lightly correcting her.

I agree with the sentiment that she needs a pretty thorough history lesson about her family ( the entire Targaeryan line ), and one not sugarcoated by all the "Rhaegar was sooo cool" stuff she usually gets. It's important for her to get that perspective if she wants to rule Westeros.

She definitely won't get that from Barristan, who seems intent on reliving the days when a Knight couldn't even breathe in a royals direction without begging their pardon.

However, I think we should remember that Tyrion is right outside tithe door ans is likely to meet Dany in the next book. I'd bet that we'll see Dany get the nastier details from him if indeed they do finally meet.

That's a good point, but I do remember reading that Barristan defended Ned. By mentioning that Ned refused to have Danny assassinated by Robert's order. But Danny is so arrogant and full of herself, that she didn't care what Ned told Robert, she still considers him an a usurper.

You have a point about Tyrion telling Danny the hard truth about her father, I think he was young enough to remember those days. But will Danny believe him or will see even listen to him if they meet.

People talk about aSoIaF as a sort of genre-busting, trope-twisting work. And it is, to a degree. But nowhere is George more conventional than with the Targaryens. Mystical dragon-riding heroes, noble conquerors, mighty kings... Heck, his next book of backstory is supposedly dedicated (almost?) entirely to House Targaryen, and is tentatively titled Fire and Blood.

I crave some more in-world comeuppance for House Targ, not more of the exiled heroine questing to claim her birthright. Inbred bunch of pyromaniacs...

I think she knows deep inside, that her father was a prick. She is not stupid not to pick up the hints dropped by Barristan. If Viserys was his father's son, Dany would know what kind of man her father was. But she doesn't know how far his madness goes: which is why I'd love a meeting between her and Jaime, in which she listens to him at least for the sake of a show

I think it's fairly clear that Daenerys has demonstrated a certain thick headednesses that is consistent with her brother's. Even a basic reflection on her government indicates this. In the wake of her rule she has spontaneously decided to overturn over 12,000 years of tradition. Let's reflect on the fighting pits. No matter how ridiculous, how savage a practice as gladiatorial combats are, how many natives of slavers bar were there that we're actually behind this policy of ending the fighting pits? I think it was her and Barristan Selmy who were opposed to them - if I'm not mistaken - that's it. No one else. What kind of serious ruler does that? Just wakes up one day and decides that - I'm going to change everything!

Even with how morally bankrupt a social institution like slavery is, how backward, evil and just wrong it is, you can't just wake up one day and decide to abolish it. Yet that's exactly what Daenerys does. GRRM leaves us no hint in the books that the abolishon of slavery is the political agenda of any political/religious group within slavers bay at all. This is not the 1850's - early 1860's (America) where the moral bankruptcy of slavery was a hotly contested issue. Not even Spartacus in Ancient Rome fought against the systematic destruction of slavery as an institution, and he was originally a slave himself. He was just fighting for his own freedom, and because he wanted to go home. Daenerys's attempt to remove slavery does not demonstrate to us her vigiligance for the cause of justice and place her in the cast of a sort of fantasy based political visionary (as I get the sense we're supposed to see her in the show at least) but a conceited child who lacks insight into the fundamental social mores and political conditions prevailing in the kingdom she's attempting to create. A stubborn child, whose attempts to reform slavers bay will result in failure.

What does this have to do with Daenerys and her brother? It just reveals that she has more in common with him than we're initially supposed to see. She has a lot of developing to do yet if she wants to rise above the churlish nature that her brother expressed in book .Although to be sure he was much worse, she's expressing her faults and deficits at the political level that he expressed at the interpersonal level.

I predict that Dany will have a big 'oh shit' moment when she realizes that although all of the decisions she made were for the greater good (or at least it seemed like they were at the time), she was well on her way to becoming as controlling and disconnected from reality as Viserys and her father. She will probably then change herself to be the hero that Westeros needs (although not necessarily the one it deserves).

But that's just what I hope will happen.

We don't actually know anything about where and when Danny was born. Our only source is Viserys (a nitwit psychopath).

Stannis was sent to Dragonstone to capture the Queen and Viserys but they were fled before that. It is common knowledge that Dany was born in Dragonstone amidst a heavy storm. Even Kevan Lannister calls her 'Daenerys Stormborn' (DwD epilogue). I don't know how everyone knows that from White Harbor to Old town, but they know that Rhaella gave birth to a daughter named Daenerys before Stannis stormed Dragonstone. And it wasn't Viserys telling them.

Archived