Your Favorite Historical Books

joshua-york

(I apologize if there's already been a thread like this posted)

Includes fiction and nonfiction.

Some of my favorites:

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

I read this and its sequel Bring Up the Bodies a few months ago and absolutely loved it. The first two books follow the rise of Thomas Cromwell and his role in the downfall of Henry VIII's first two wives. The third and final book is set for 2015 and will end with Cromwell's downfall. My only problem with Wolf Hall was Mantel's excessive use of the pronoun "he" without clarifying which "he" she is talking about, which gets especially confusing when there are several men in a scene. After a while I just found it safe to bet she was referring to Cromwell himself.

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Not a very big book, but I like the plausible story the author spun around Vermeer's portrait of the same name.

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

This is in the running for being one of my favorite stand-alone books. I loved the insight into the way the characters saw and felt about their world and the changes taking place within it.

The Tigress of Forli by Elizabeth Lev

A biography of the Italian countess Caterina Sforza.

(I apologize if there's already been a thread like this posted)

Includes fiction and nonfiction.

Some of my favorites:

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

This is in the running for being one of my favorite stand-alone books. I loved the insight into the way the characters saw and felt about their world and the changes taking place within it.

I actually bought Thirteen Moons and Nightwoods from this author, and they are good reads. Haven't read Cold Mountain since I already knew the storyline from the film ( which is a film I really liked a great deal btw).

There are so many splendid works of history -- and history is so long, as is the history of writing history, and history happens on every inch of ground on the planet -- how can one point to a best or a favorite?

One can, of course, begin choosing in November which histories published during the year are on one's list of favorites or best. That seems to be the only way to do it. Except then I miss those that aren't published in a language I can read ....

History! My consolation from the woes of the present!

Archived