[TWOIAF Spoilers] Family tree of all of ASOIAF, updated with TWOIAF

El-Daddy

Here is the latest version of the tree, and here is the colour-coded version.
These links are being continuously updated (most recent being 28/04/'15).
As always - any suggestions/corrections/omissions/clarifications, feel free to let me know.

Notes
I'm posting this here as it involves a lot of TWOIAF spoilers and material. Let me know if I should move it, however.
I started making this in May 2014, and have been gradually updating it. It started off as the Great Houses, expanded to include the Freys, and after that I just added anyone I could.
The updated tree itself, to include everything I found from TWOIAF, can be found here. [the actual newest version is in the edit on the top of this post.]

I have tried to keep this tree as accurate as possible, and everything in it can be sources from the books, their appendices, TWOW sample chapters, and TWOIAF. Some GRRM correspondence/readings are also used, but only if stated below. The MUSH is not taken as canon, as while some parts are from GRRM's notes, I do not know what bits are, so I can't include them unless they're also shown elsewhere.

Some clarifications on the tree and anything of note I feel I need to comment on or explain is here, and in the spoiler tags.

• All marriages are included, offspring-producing or not. Partners outside of marriage are only included if they produce children.
  • All children are in correct birth order when it is known, unless otherwise stated.
  • Dashed lines indicate children born outside of marriage.
  • I include cradle-deaths and deaths in infancy, or shortly after birth.
  • I do not include any stillborn births, other than when they were named.
  • The horizontal rows represent generations. They are generally arbitrary by nature, but I've tried to have them so that relative ages make sense.
  • Jon Snow is dead. That's not to say he won't be back (courtesy of Mel) after a warging adventure though.
  • R+L=J is taken for granted at this stage. Yes, I know it's presumptuous, but I couldn't resist including it.
  • Brynden Rivers is alive, as his identity is pretty much confirmed.
  • Benjen Stark is alive - I live in hope!
  • Quentyn Martell is dead - sad, but true.
  • Aegon V is indeed the son of Rhaegar... for now.

Some stuff on the layout of certain generations -

• Leyton Hightower has been married 4 times, (with only the last wife named), and has had 10 kids - but I dunno which wife had which child.
  • Walder Frey and Leyton Hightower have both gotten married to a lot of women. I'm putting the later wives down as a generation younger than the husbands, as it fits in with the known relative ages of the later wives' siblings and children. Since Walder has had *7* wives, the later ones are another generation younger, as it again fits with relative ages of others.
  • Cregan Stark was known as "The Old Man Of The North", and married three times. I'm putting his last wife a generation younger than him, as that makes Cregan in the appropriate generation to be a young Lord during the Dance. This also means that if Ellard stark was Cregan's grandfather Benjen's father, then that makes him the correct generation to be of an age of Boremund Baratheon, who also voted in the Great Council of 101.

This is a list of any connections I had to make from the source material that may not have been obvious on first glance. Also, some clarifications on the layout of the tree. Again, I tried to make no assumptions and to stick to the confirmed facts -

• Littlefinger mentions in passing that his mother was called Alayne
  • Rhae and Daella Targaryen have children, as they are mentioned by Maester Aemon to Sam and Gilly.
  • Alys Rivers is not included, as she was pregnant with Aemond "One-Eye" Targaryen's child, but there is no further mention of the child.
  • Black Walder Frey is mentioned as the possible father of some of Walder Frey's children with Annara Farring, and other those of other relatives, but this is not included due to uncertainty. However, he is mentioned by Merrett in his epilogue as having his own other bastards.
  • I am taking Aegon IV to be father of -
    • ​​Daeron II and Daenerys - the Dragonknight has not been shown as of yet to be their father.
    • Bellenora, Narha and Balerion Otherys, children of Bellegere Otherys. Their parentage is dubious on Aegon's part, but it's all we have.
    • Viserys Plumm, as Ossifer Plumm was dead before he could produce a son (that, or he had a six-foot long cock.)
    • Jeyne Lothston, by his first mistress, Falena Stokeworth. The dates don't match up too well, but I'm leaving it as is.
  • I am taking Corlys Velaryon to be father of Addam and Alyn, as their proposed father Laenor was gay, and unlikely to have bastard children.
  • I am taking Harwin Strong to be father of Rhaenyra's 3 children during her marriage with Laenor, for the same reason, also compounded by their non-Targaryen appearance.
  • Mariya Darry is elder than her sister Jeyne, but Jeyne is marked as the elder to avoid messiness on the tree.
  • Genna Lannister is elder than Tygett and Gerion, but is not marked as such, for the same reason.
  • Manfred Hightower is Lord of Oldtown during Aegon's invasion. He is mentioned of having at least two younger sons - one who is in the Warrior's Sons, and another who has just taken the vows of a Septon.
  • Martyn Hightower is Lord of Oldtown in Maegor's time. He is mentioned as having at least two younger brothers - one who is the head of the Warrior's Sons, and another who is High Septon. Because of this, I am taking Martyn and his brothers to be sons of Manfred.
  • Rhea Royce was the first wife of Daemon Targaryen. She was also the Lady of Runestone. When she died, Runestone passed to her nephew instead of Daemon.
  • Samwell Spicer is the cousin of Gawen and Sybell Spicer. As the house was founded by their grandfather, then Samwell must be their first cousin.
  • Walder Frey's sister married a Lord Butterwell. He had at least two others sisters who were married. That Lord Butterwell had a grandfather that had three daughters. Aegon IV supposedly impregnated each of the daughters in one night, which is why he gave the elder Lord Butterwell the egg, but I didn't include bastards as they are not confirmed.
  • Eustace Osgrey had an uncle, who had at least one daughter.
  • Roger, Rickard and Roose Ryswell are described as Lord Rodrik Ryswell's cousins and bannermen in the AFFC & ADWD appendices, but as his sons in the text. I am going by the text.
  • Lord William Mooton of Maidenpool is described as having sons in ACOK, but Eleanor Mooton is described as his eldest daughter and heir in the AFFC appendix. For her to inherit, her brothers must have died. She also must have sisters, if she is the eldest daughter.
  • Margaery Tyrell's Septa, Nysterica, is described as pox-ridden. She matches an age of the Waynwood daughter who also became a Septa, who also was heavily scarred from the pox. It would make sense for them to probably be the same person, due to Waynwood's highborn birth. This isn't confirmed, so it's not included, but it's an interesting possible connection.
  • Roland Waynwood is the 25-year old grandson of Anya Waynwood (from released Alayne chapter of TWOW.) Anya's second son Donnel is described as being 20 years old in 298 AC, so Roland must be the son of Anya's first son and heir, Morton.

From sources outside the books -

• Ellyn Reyne's daughters names are taken from GRRM's reading at LonCon, and also the expanded Westerlands section from TWOIAF on his website. I am using the published spelling of "Cerelle" (not "Cyrelle"), and have also included Rohanne's son and both sisters' husbands.
  • Jeyne Marbrand's father is Alyn Marbrand, as in the published version, not Denys, from the website.
  • Aethon Velaryon, (son of Daemon Velaryon, Aegon I's Master of Ships, and father of Alyssa Velaryon, wife of Aenys I) is taken from GRRM's reading at LonCon.
  • Black Aly is the 2nd wife of Cregan Stark (thanks Ran!)
  • Leowyn Corbray is confirmed by Ran as being the elder brother of Corwyn Corbray.

The following people are mentioned as being relatives of existing characters and families, but how exactly they are related is not certain (i.e., 1st, 2nd or 3rd cousins. Maternal or paternal aunt/uncle.)

• Argilac the Arrogant's grandfather was Arrec Durrandon, who had at least two brothers. Arrec's successor was his eldest son Arlan V, but we don't know if Arlan V was Argilac's father.
  • Davos Baratheon is the son of Orys, and Robar is the grandson of Orys. We don't know if Robar is Davos' son, or if Davos is Orys' heir, however.
  • Raymont Baratheon is described as the younger son of Lord Baratheon, during the time of Aenys' I. Orys died during Aenys' I reign. Raymont is either Orys' son or grandson.
  • Lyonel Baratheon's heir was Ormund Baratheon, but we do not know if Lyonel was his father, grandfather, uncle, great-uncle, etc.
  • "Harbert" was once castellan of Storm's End, and is the great-uncle of Robert, Stannis and Renly. He is more than likely a Baratheon and brother of Ormund, but it is unconfirmed.
  • Gowen Baratheon, 3rd son of the Lord of Storm's End, married Tya Lannister, and was the last marriage of those houses until Robert and Cersei, about 90 years later. Their relationships to others in their families are unknown.
  • Lord Daemon Velaryon, Aegon I's Master of Ships died during the Conquest. He was probably brother to Valaena, the mother of Aegon I. His son was Aethon, and either Aethon's son, or grandson, was also called Daemon, and this Daemon was Master of Ships during Maegor's reign.
  • In 10 AC there was a Corlys Velaryon who was old enough to join the Kingsguard, this Corlys would have been either a brother, nephew or son to the Daemon who died during the Conquest.
  • Daeron Velaryon is father of Daernaera Velaryon (Aegon II's 2nd wife). He is probably a brother, nephew or son of Vaemond Velaryon.
  • Ronnel and Jonos Arryn were the sons of the Queen Regent Sharra Arryn of the Vale at the time of Aegon I. Their cousin Hubert (taken from LonCon) succeeded them. Hubert is more than likely the father of Rodrik (father of Aemma), but I have no proof.
  • Jeyne Arryn, somehow cousin of Rhaenyra Targaryen (through her mother Aemma Arryn).
  • Rhea Royce's father was probably Lord Yorbert Royce, who represented Jeyne Arryn during the Great Council of 101, as Jeyne was too young.
  • Willum Royce, last known wielder of the Valyrian steel sword Lamentation, died during the Dance. Probably a close relation of Rhea and possibly Yorbert.
  • Maelys Blackfyre's relationship to the others in his family is unknown.
  • Manfrey Martell, somehow a cousin of Doran Martell.
  • Bryndon and Hobert Hightower, somehow cousins of Ormund Hightower.
  • Abelar Hightower was the heir to Oldtown in 209.
  • Quenton Hightower was the Lord of Oldtown when Pycelle was young (he was born in 216), when the grey plague hit and Quenton and his young son were killed. Based on the dates I would imagine Quenton to likely be the father of Abelar, and the son who died to be a younger son. This would make Abelar the great-grandfather of Leyton and grandfather of Gerold, with Quenton being his father.
  • Quentin, Normund and Victor Tyrell (and their descendents), somehow cousins of Mace Tyrell.
  • Wendell Webber, somehow cousin of Wyman Webber (who was father of Rohanne Webber)
  • Wyman and Marlon Manderly (and their relatives), somehow cousins of Donella.
  • Raymun Darry is most likely the brother, or possibly the first cousin, of Jeyne and Mariya.
  • Jonothor and Willem Darry are probably uncles or cousins-once-removed of Jeyne and Mariya.
  • The Estermonts (Robert/Stannis/Renly's mother's family) have a lot of conflicting information about them in the appendices so cannot be included.
  • Bellegere Otherys (mistress of Aegon IV) is ancestor of the current Bellegere Otherys, Black Pearl of Braavos - but I dunno how many generations, and names of each successive Black Pearl, so didn't include them.
  • Jason and Tyland Lannister are probably probably within 1-2 generations of Damon Lannister.
  • Ellard Stark is probably the father or uncle of the eldest Benjen Stark.
  • Melantha Blackwood is possibly the sister or cousin of Black Betha Blackwood.
  • Hizdahr zo Loraq has cousins, of unknown kind.

This tree is made up of 954 symbols. See spoiler for breakdown of who they are and where they're from;

• 53 are diamonds, which are for groups of un-named people, or people we don't know the gender of.
  • 85 are people that are missing a first or last name.
  • 123 are people that we know neither name.
  • 693 are everyone else.

Based on origin -
  • 10 from Essos / Summer Isles
  • 18 from the Free Cities
  • 14 from Dorne
  • 48 from the Crownlands
  • 63 from the North
  • 97 from the Reach
  • 184 from the Riverlands (you can thank the 99 Freys for that one.)
  • 26 from the Stormlands
  • 53 from the Vale
  • 61 from the Westerlands
  • 12 Arryns
  • 17 Baratheons
  • 32 Lannisters
  • 17 Martells
  • 53 Starks
  • 102 Targaryens
  • 8 Tullys
  • 19 Tyrells

The rest (120) are of unknown origin.

The most notable omissions from this tree are of course anyone from the Iron Islands, noble or otherwise. They seem to very much keep to themselves.

Ideally, I would like this tree to go back as far as Aegon's Landing for the Great Houses, linked up to current times.
This would mean Torrhen Stark, Edmyn Tully, Sharra Arryn, Loren Lannister, Harlan Tyrell, Orys Baratheon and Meria Martell.
Currently we probably have about as far back as Torrhen's great-grandchildren, and we have about 5 generations total missing in the Baratheons.

Non-Great Houses I'd like some more fleshing out on would be the Blackwoods, Daynes, Hightowers, Royces, Velaryons, as they seem to have been very important in the history of ASOIAF even if they haven't (yet) been particularly notable in the course of the series.

Others that I would like even a little bit more would be the Estermonts and Darrys, as there's many members mentioned, but it's unclear how they are related.

If anyone notices any omissions or corrections (at all!) from this tree, I would be most appreciative if you could tell me what they are, as I am trying to get it to be as accurate and comprehensive as possible. This includes nicknames of people, and the like.

Just wow.

I am speechless! How long did you work on that O.O

A decent amount of time (though not as long as you think, as it can be done fairly quickly if you're systematic about it), but it was done over a long period. Most of that time should have been spent studying, of course. :rolleyes:

Only very very small question(I'm almost ashamed to ask and I'm definitely not critizising, just wondering): why did you include that Nym's mother was from Volantis and Tyene's a septa but not that Obara's was from Oldtown and Sarella's a capitain from e Summer Isles?

Don't be worried at all, criticism is welcomed. I'm very open to suggestions and ways that this thing could be improved, it's an ongoing process.

In answer to your questions - everyone is given their surname and firstname on this tree, and question marks are used in place when either one of these is not known.

The general theme of those from the Free Cities is that if they don't have a surname, they are known in the books as "*person* of *city name*", like Tyanna of Pentos, Mellario of Norvos, Bethario of Braavos, Serenei of Lys. This is what I use for the tree. This is true for nobles as well as commoners, as all of the examples I just gave were noblewomen. The only exception to this (that I can remember atm) where there is a family name is Lara Rogarre, wife of Viserys II. As Lady Nym's mother was a noblewoman from Volantis, she would be known as "of Volantis" anyway, so that's why it was included. It's only for the Free Cities that this happens though, as they are the only ones who would be known as "*person* of *city*". The only exceptions of this are Jenny of Oldstones and Pate of the Blue Fork, but everyone else seems to be just known by their firstname if they don't have a surname.

As for the Septa, Maesters, Septons and Septas lose their family name in ASOIAF, so I don't include that as part of their name on this tree, even if they are still marked as part of the family. They do get whatever the title is of what they are though. So I have her down as her title, even though I don't know her name, as her title would be there anyway. Kings/Queens/Princes/Lords/Princesses/Captains or any other titles aren't included, just Maesters, Septons and Septas.

Don't be worried at all, criticism is welcomed. I'm very open to suggestions and ways that this thing could be improved, it's an ongoing process.

In answer to your questions - everyone is given their surname and firstname on this tree, and question marks are used in place when either one of these is not known.

The general theme of those from the Free Cities is that if they don't have a surname, they are known in the books as "*person* of *city name*", like Tyanna of Pentos, Mellario of Norvos, Bethario of Braavos, Serenei of Lys. This is what I use for the tree. This is true for nobles as well as commoners, as all of the examples I just gave were noblewomen. The only exception to this (that I can remember atm) where there is a family name is Lara Rogarre, wife of Viserys II. As Lady Nym's mother was a noblewoman from Volantis, she would be known as "of Volantis" anyway, so that's why it was included. It's only for the Free Cities that this happens though, as they are the only ones who would be known as "*person* of *city*". The only exceptions of this are Jenny of Oldstones and Pate of the Blue Fork, but everyone else seems to be just known by their firstname if they don't have a surname.

As for the Septa, Maesters, Septons and Septas lose their family name in ASOIAF, so I don't include that as part of their name on this tree, even if they are still marked as part of the family. They do get whatever the title is of what they are though. So I have her down as her title, even though I don't know her name, as her title would be there anyway. Kings/Queens/Princes/Lords/Princesses/Captains or any other titles aren't included, just Maesters, Septons and Septas.

Alright, I see. Thank you :)

Impressive indeed!

Re: Alys Stackspear, she was the noble girl whom Jason had gotten pregnant when he was 15 and been forced to marry. According to the Westerlands reading she died in childbirth, whereupon Jason was married to Marla Prester, to hopefully prevent him from sleeping around some more.

Re: Alys Stackspear, she was the noble girl whom Jason had gotten pregnant when he was 15 and been forced to marry. According to the Westerlands reading she died in childbirth, whereupon Jason was married to Marla Prester, to hopefully prevent him from sleeping around some more.

Great, thanks. I missed that. I had her mixed up with Marla Prester - the wives are in the wrong order in the tree. Thoat's another fix that's needed!

So the question is now - - is Marla Prester still alive?! I'm going to say no, if she's of the same age-ish as Tytos.

My only suggestion would be to put the latest Martell line indicated under Targ blood too. Remember they also descend from Daenerys Targaryen I.

I can't. I need to know exactly how they are related. Maron Martell married Daenerys Targaryen I, yes, but I don't know how many generations are between them and Doran's mother. Or was it a son or daughter of Maron that continued the line? I'm going to wait for an official answer.

Great, thanks. I missed that. I had her mixed up with Marla Prester - the wives are in the wrong order in the tree. Thoat's another fix that's needed!

So the question is now - - is Marla Prester still alive?! I'm going to say no, if she's of the same age-ish as Tytos.

I can't. I need to know exactly how they are related. Maron Martell married Daenerys Targaryen I, yes, but I don't know how many generations are between them and Doran's mother. Or was it a son or daughter of Maron that continued the line? I'm going to wait for an official answer.

suggestion: you could use

|

|

|

|

something like that.

Very nice work op!

Some missing people if you're looking to update this in the future.

King Argilac's father was Arlan V Durrandon. Orys had another son named Raymont Baratheon.

Thanks! I'm always willing to update. That Arlan V thing is fantastic, thanks again. I'm going to put him in, but do you know if it's stated anywhere that Arlan V was Argilac's father, or simply Arrec's son? He's probably both, but I can only see evidence saying that he was Arrec's eldest son and successor. Arrec is mentioned of having two brothers actually, but I'm not going to put them in as I don't know their names or that of their father.

I know about Raymont Baratheon (he's in the notes on the OP), and it's stated that he is the son of the Lord of Storm's End. He served in the Kingsguard during the reign of Aenys I and saved his life, but it's never said if was the son of Orys or Orys' successor, as Orys himself died during Aenys I reign, so Raymont's father could be either. Similarly, Davos is mentioned as Orys' son, but it doesn't say whether or not he was his heir.

suggestion: you could use

|

|

|

|

something like that.

I'd like to, but I don't really like leaving blank spaces. I could similarly link up old Hightowers with Leyton's father, or old Arryns to Jasper Arryn, but it gets too messy. The line I draw (pardon the pun) is that the exact relationship must be proven.

Thanks! I'm always willing to update. That Arlan V thing is fantastic, thanks again. I'm going to put him in, but do you know if it's stated anywhere that Arlan V was Argilac's father, or simply Arrec's son? He's probably both, but I can only see evidence saying that he was Arrec's eldest son and successor. Arrec is mentioned of having two brothers actually, but I'm not going to put them in as I don't know their names or that of their father.

I know about Raymont Baratheon (he's in the notes on the OP), and it's stated that he is the son of the Lord of Storm's End. He served in the Kingsguard during the reign of Aenys I and saved his life, but it's never said if was the son of Orys or Orys' successor, as Orys himself died during Aenys I reign, so Raymont's father could be either. Similarly, Davos is mentioned as Orys' son, but it doesn't say whether or not he was his heir.

You're right about Arlan V. It's implied that he has other brothers, so he may have died withou any children. For Raymont, I always assumed he'd be Orys's youngest son, but I actually am not sure. I assumed his position in the Kingsgaurd indicated that he was about the same age as Aenys or Meagor since most knights don't join the KG until they're in their twenties or thirties. Best not include him for now.

For Raymont, I always assumed he'd be Orys's youngest son, but I actually am not sure. I assumed his position in the Kingsgaurd indicated that he was about the same age as Aenys or Meagor since most knights don't join the KG until they're in their twenties or thirties. Best not include him for now.

You're more than likely right, but I can't include it until I know for certain.

Archived