I'm having a baby.

PlainJeyne

If this is baby #1 my best advice to you is sleep when the baby sleeps. Every minute of sleep is going to become priceless.

She's my second baby. My oldest is an almost 3 year old little boy. So I know the value of sleep, but expect it won't be a very large part of my life for a while. Right now my husband is on paternity leave and being a big help especially with the older heathen, so I do get to nap when the wee one naps. When he goes back, I'll have to hit the espresso hard and accept that sleep is rare.

She's here!

I went into labor this morning (or I guess yesterday morning, but I haven't been to sleep yet...) and delivered her via c-section at 12pm 11/14/14.

She weighs 6 lbs 8 oz and is 18.25 inches long. She is very feisty and nursing well.

I'll try to get pic links up once we are home.

I'm hating the hospital but loving my baby. :)

Happy heartfelt congratulations! :cheers:

She is beautiful! Congratulations! What does your son think of her?

He loves her and calls her "my baby" and it's really sweet. He likes to pet her little head and he talks to her and every day he says "she's not bigger yet" because he wants her to get bigger so she can play with things and he can teach her songs and stuff, which he is very much looking forward to.

He is somewhat jealous that she gets to stay in my room with me at night. The first night home we let him camp out in our room to make him feel special and everything, but that can't work in the long term because they'll wake each other up and also he's almost 3 and is perfectly capable of staying in his own room. I'm not sure how to deal with this issue sensitively. Hopefully I don't make him hate her or anything, because as of right now he isn't taking his jealousy out on her at all, just acting really pitiful at night.

He loves her and calls her "my baby" and it's really sweet. He likes to pet her little head and he talks to her and every day he says "she's not bigger yet" because he wants her to get bigger so she can play with things and he can teach her songs and stuff, which he is very much looking forward to.

He is somewhat jealous that she gets to stay in my room with me at night. The first night home we let him camp out in our room to make him feel special and everything, but that can't work in the long term because they'll wake each other up and also he's almost 3 and is perfectly capable of staying in his own room. I'm not sure how to deal with this issue sensitively. Hopefully I don't make him hate her or anything, because as of right now he isn't taking his jealousy out on her at all, just acting really pitiful at night.

Awww that is so sweet! :wub: I'm sure he will come around on the sleeping thing, just gotta persevere.

Congratulations to you and your family!

She's adorable :wub:

Maybe explaining to him might help? She's so little she needs food when he's sleeping, she's going to yell a bit and wake us up etc. He'll see her first thing in the morning... I don't have kids, I am just thinking out loud here. If you have your room next to his, maybe they can have their beds just next to eachother just behind the wall? They would be even closer than she is to you :D

Congratulations! She's a beautiful baby.

Your son calling her "my baby" is so sweet. Having a sibling is special; the day my brother was born was one of the happiest days of my life! A little jealousy is normal - most children will exhibit this behaviour as it's such a huge change in their lives. I worked in daycare for several years and saw it all the time. He should become more comfortable with time. :) It's all just very new.

I always tried to do the older kids bedtime routine myself and daddy could deal with baby for half an hour. That way the older kids still felt like they had special time with me. This of course. does not always work out the way I planned it. There was jealousy and still is from time to time. My oldest two have the same age gap as your son and daughter and I didn't handle the two as well as I think I did once three and four came along. Unfortunately they have the biggest jealousy between them and I blame myself for not having more one on one time with my oldest.

Thanks everyone!

I'm gonna really try to spend a little bit of one on one time with my son every day or most every day. He will benefit from that, and my daughter seems to be a mellow baby who doesn't mind being held by papa for a while (definitely was not the case with my son as a tiny baby). It should be doable.

I'm really looking forward to being able to drive again in a few weeks. I will have to get adjusted to taking both kids with me on outings to the park or store or any place we want to go, but it'll be great to get out into the land of the living again after months of bed rest.

Have you tried playing the 'big boy' card? "She needs to stay with us because she's a baby, but since you're such a big boy now you get to have your room all to yourself like a grown up." kind of thing?

Oddly, I have the one kid on earth who doesn't want to be a big boy. Any time I have tried this tactic he tells be that he's just a *little* boy.

He's doing a little better though. He's going to sleep in his room like before, but sometimes coming in if he hears the baby crying and I have to send him back to bed.

Archived