Targaryen twisted and deformed, scaled dragon babies, fishing for theories

Targaryens infused reptile blood to themselves through blood magic to have better control on dragons. TWOIAF revealed lizard-men, winged men with bat wings, Brindled Men who have the blood of the brindled wyverns and so on. Valyrians carried out monstrous experiments by interbreeding slave women and beasts.

Giant + Ape = Hooded Apes

Human + Ape = Spotted apes

The great apes of Leng are also far-famed; amongst them are spotted humpback apes said to be almost as clever as men, and hooded apes as large as giants, so strong that they can pull the arms and legs off a man as easily as a boy might pull the wings off a fly.

In the forests south of Yeen, there are said to be apes that dwarf the largest giants, so powerful they can slay elephants with a single blow.

Horse + Men = Centaurs

East of them stood the kingdoms of the centaurs, half man and half horse.

Archmaester Hagedorn has put forth the theory that the centaurs were no more than mounted warriors, as perceived by neighboring tribes who had not yet learned to tame and ride horses. His views have become widely accepted at the Citadel, despite the purported “centaur skeletons” that turn up in grotesqueries from time to time.

Deep Ones + humans = Sistermen, Thousand islanders, Isle of Toad people

Also possibly some of the ancestors of Ironborn (we know that there are still rumours of skinchangers who transform into seals on the Lonely Light).

Though I think it possible the Grey King was some form of sea wight given his appearance and alleged thousand year reign. Also makes a lot of sense of the Drowned God and the "what is dead cannot die but rises again, harder and stronger" motto, i.e. the Ironborn religion originates out of the original practice of the wights that once ruled the islands turning their loyal subjects into fellow undead.

But that was in the dawn of days, when mighty men still dwelt on earth and sea. The hall had been warmed by Nagga’s living fire, which the Grey King had made his thrall. On its walls hung tapestries woven from silver seaweed most pleasing to the eyes. The Grey King’s warriors had feasted on the bounty of the sea at a table in the shape of a great starfish, whilst seated upon thrones carved from mother-of-pearl. Gone, all the glory gone. Men were smaller now. Their lives had grown short.

The people of the Grey King had massive built, long lives and they dwelt on both earth and sea.

Also possibly some of the ancestors of Ironborn (we know that there are still rumours of skinchangers who transform into seals on the Lonely Light).

Though I think it possible the Grey King was some form of sea wight given his appearance and alleged thousand year reign. Also makes a lot of sense of the Drowned God and the "what is dead cannot die but rises again, harder and stronger" motto, i.e. the Ironborn religion originates out of the original practice of the wights that once ruled the islands turning their loyal subjects into fellow undead.

There could be deep one descendants in the Lonely Light, but in general terms i think the ironborn are just full of shit, and they are just First Men.

I think their legends are all lies.

There was never a sea dragon, it´s a weirwood. The GreyKing was a greenseer..who fought during the Dawn Age against CotF.. until the Hammer of Waters that separeted his domains from the continent, and shattered it into the Iron Islands.

• 4 months later...

I'm no geneticist, but I have had it explained to me the exact opposite of what you just said before, so I don't know what to think. :(

Actually, if inbreeding occurs over several generation, yes, there will be some monstrous byproducts as a result. But eventually, all recessive genes will be bred out. This has been observed in lab animals.

Archived