TWOIAF Spoilers: The dragon in Winterfell and its possible future relevance to the plot

Mrs_Darcy

Having read the part about Winterfell in the TWOIAF-book, I think, that Summer really did see a dragon flying out of the ruins of Winterfell.

Here's why:

• According to Mushroom, the dragon Vermax laid a clutch of eggs in the Winterfell crypts, when his owner was negotiating with Cregan Stark over the "Pact of Ice and Fire". Since the crypts are heated by the hot pools, the temperature could be sufficient to heat it up
  • The smallfolk of Winterfell and the Winter Town have been known to say, that the hot pools are heated by a dragon residing undre the castle
  • The Starks have only made use of the hot pools for heating their castle "in recent centuries", which would coincide with the laying of the eggs happening roughly in 100 AC

I do not think, that GRRM has included a dragon living under Winterfell, if it did not play a part in later books. A good question is where the dragon now dwells, since it has been undetected and needs warm dwellings. I think, it is hiding on Skagos currently, since the island is volcanic like Dragonstone and remote enough, that a dragon being there would not be noticed by the population of mainland Westeros. So, we will probably get to see it, when Davos goes to retrieve Rickon.

I agree, the fact a clutch of eggs was mentioned to me means there is something related to dragons in Winterfell, whether it be the eggs are still down there, or there is a grown Dragon being heated by the hot springs, or maybe even an ice dragon. But I also think Dawn is buried in the crypts as well, so if I'm to be believed everything under the sun is down there.

Also, I really think Cannibal is on Skagos. I believe that Cannibal and Sheepstealer survived the Dance. Dragons live a long time and as far as I know there was no Cataclysmic event like the Doom that would have killed the wild dragons between the Dance and present Westeros.

Dragons can't survive entirely underground, they are carnivores with rather big appetite and I think people would notice dragon(s) flying around Winterfell. The dragon heating the springs is obviously a myth. But yes, given the already prominent theories about dragon from Winterfell, the mentions are certainly of some relevance, but I would consider them more of hints and foreshadowing than direct truthful claims.

I dunno, Frozentree. Lots of references about dragons at Winterfell throughout the series. Although many of Mushroom's claims seemed to have been dismissed by other Maesters in TWOIAF, this one seems to be so random that I can't help but think there's some truth to it. How would Mushroom have had any knowledge of what went on at Winterfell otherwise.

Unless the "dragon" references are actually references to Targaryens as they are commonly referred to as dragons in prophecies (i.e. D&E novellas). But I definitely think there is something to this one, folks.

Side note: In Maester Aemon Targaryens last few days alive while on his way to meet up wtih Dany, he mutters that the prophecy of TPTWP could be referring to a Princess and his reasoning is that dragons either don't have a sex or their sex is not definite...

I agree, the fact a clutch of eggs was mentioned to me means there is something related to dragons in Winterfell, whether it be the eggs are still down there, or there is a grown Dragon being heated by the hot springs, or maybe even an ice dragon. But I also think Dawn is buried in the crypts as well, so if I'm to be believed everything under the sun is down there.

Also, I really think Cannibal is on Skagos. I believe that Cannibal and Sheepstealer survived the Dance. Dragons live a long time and as far as I know there was no Cataclysmic event like the Doom that would have killed the wild dragons between the Dance and present Westeros.

I'm pretty sure Sheepstealer and Nettles long survived the Dance: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/119875-twoiaf-spoilers-burned-men-worshiped-nettles/

While it's an interesting idea that there's a clutch of dragon eggs lurking in the depths of Winterfell - I don't buy that there's a full grown dragon down there - I don't think it's very likely considering the source of the information. Mushroom's opinions seemed to be considered to be of 'take with a pinch of salt' veracity. None of the maesters seemed to take his claims very seriously at all.

Depending on how you look at it, not to mention which theory you go for, the only dragon that was ever in residence at Winterfell was Jon.

The rumour of dragon eggs in Winterfell makes no sense to me. The idea comes from Mushroom, but how would he know this, precisely? Did Vermax tell him? If there are dragon eggs in the crypts of Winterfell, surely the Starks would have to know about it for anyone else to?

IIRC, the dragon glimpsed by Summer in ACOK was not flying in the direction of Skagos, but in the opposite direction ... roughly in the direction of the Wolfswood, and Deepwood Mott and Sea Dragon Point.

I believe there are one or more dragons on Skagos as well, but I don't think the Dragon of Winterfell is there.

Archived