Help me cure a cold!

YellowDogJen

Do you actually need to use distilled water for those squeeze bottle things? I never have it around and I'm not sure if I need it.

No. You do not need distilled water, because you will be putting salt right back into the water.

You might want to boil your water first (I usually do, though sometimes I get lazy), but that is also probably not necessary if you use treated municipal water.

I've always had good luck with the NeilMed squeeze bottle (never used the neti pot). I recommend using either distilled water or boiling your tap water, though. I tried just tap water once and I basically turned into Gollum when he was tied with the elven rope :"It burnsesss! It burnsesssss!!!"

And I agree about the psuedoephedrine. It was certainly a sad day when the damn meth-heads messed up my Sudfed :thumbsdown:

Also, I have on occasion drank a cold into submission. After all, it'll either cure ya or kill ya and, either way, you'll be better off.

Tequila once burned a cold right out of me. I felt like shit the next day, but the cold was gone.

I used to get really ill once or twice a year, but lately I've been getting little annoying colds that last a few days. Soluble aspirin is my go-to drug. I take some in orange juice and go to bed. I also have some vitamin c, drink plenty of water and copious amounts of tea. At least a day of rest does me the world of good.

You're just going to piss out all of that vit C, and it doesn't appear to reduce symptom time either, unless you're in extreme cold or an extreme athlete. Prophylactically taking small supplements (like 0.2g/day) may possibly minorly reduce symptom time for colds. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17636648?dopt=Abstract Its definitely not worth paying for vitamin C supplements. Drink more orange juice if it makes you feel better I guess.

e: I like making constant pots of tea and nursing them. The steam helps and the tea w/ honey makes my throat feel better after post-nasal drip. Plus, it can help my nausea too.

Thanks everyone, I will just buy distilled water.

And I have a cold now, so sooner rather than later :(

I used to get really ill once or twice a year, but lately I've been getting little annoying colds that last a few days. Soluble aspirin is my go-to drug. I take some in orange juice and go to bed. I also have some vitamin c, drink plenty of water and copious amounts of tea. At least a day of rest does me the world of good.

This is what's been happening to me. Minor but frequent.

Archived