Which character's story are you most looking forward to developing in TWOW?

ImpinDornish

Just one character. I know we're looking forward to many, if not all characters developing in one way or another, but who are you looking forward to most?

For me, it's Jaime. His current "path to redemption" or whatever you want to call it is, for me, very interesting. In my mind I can already sort of predict what most characters are going to do one way or another, but Jaime is a bit of a mystery. Obviously there's tonnes of exciting things that are going to happen but his character arc offers the most in terms of mystery and potential twists and turns.

Who are you looking forward to most?

Jon Snow I think. I believe he will come back, but what I want to know is how, and how he will be changed. I also want to know what his future role in the series will be after this and what will happen at the Wall.

Yes he was up there on my list too. Although I feel like I know what's going to happen in his storyline, and am less sure about others. I guess it has something to do with being more interested in Jon's chapters from the beginning? I'm up to ASOS on my re-read and will definitely be paying a lot more attention to a few more characters this time around.

Due to the scrapping of the five-year gap, Sansa, Arya and Bran's stories have been, to a great extent, on hold since the end of ASOS (Arya less than her siblings, but her chapter count/percentage still collapsed in AFFC/ADWD). Consider that the Stark kids' chapters accounted for:

AGOT - 18 of 73 chapters (24.6%)

ACOK - 25 of 70 chapters (35.7%)

ASOS - 24 of 82 chapters (29.2%)

And the tally for AGOT is really a bit misleading, since in that book they featured a lot in other people's chapters (also, even by ASOS, Bran's chapter count was starting to seriously flag compared to his sisters, which drags their percentage down in that one). Anyway, the percentage of all three books is 29.7% of the first three books belong to the Stark kids.

Compare that to:

AFFC - 6 of 46 chapters (13%)

ADWD - 5 of 73 chapters (6.8%)

The tally of the bridging books is a measly 9.2% (and hardly the most eventful 9.2% of those novels).

Now that we're at the point where the five-year-gap is supposed to pick up from, let's get the kids back where they belong: at the centre of the story, not the periphery.

Due to the scrapping of the five-year gap, Sansa, Arya and Bran's stories have been, to a great extent, on hold since the end of ASOS (Arya less than her siblings, but her chapter count/percentage still collapsed in AFFC/ADWD). Consider that the Stark kids' chapters accounted for:

AGOT - 18 of 73 chapters (24.6%)

ACOK - 25 of 70 chapters (35.7%)

ASOS - 24 of 82 chapters (29.2%)

And the tally for AGOT is really a bit misleading, since in that book they featured a lot in other people's chapters (also, even by ASOS, Bran's chapter count was starting to seriously flag compared to his sisters, which drags their percentage down in that one). Anyway, the percentage of all three books is 29.7% of the first three books belong to the Stark kids.

Compare that to:

AFFC - 6 of 46 chapters (13%)

ADWD - 5 of 73 chapters (6.8%)

The tally of the bridging books is a measly 9.2% (and hardly the most eventful 9.2% of those novels).

Now that we're at the point where the five-year-gap is supposed to pick up from, let's get the kids back where they belong: at the centre of the story, not the periphery.

^^ VERY awesome point. I never got emotional during the Red Wedding, the book version, because I just didn't have any attachment to it. I was still sad to see the "good" family lose half of their members but it wasn't that sad, to me.

The character I'm looking forward to the most is Tyrion. I want him to come back to Westeros with Dany and become a complete bad-ass. I also want to know more about the truth behind this rumor that he isn't actually Tywin's son but of one of the Targaryens.

Samwell. Okay, maybe that's a boring answer, he's just learning to be a maester at a citadel. But still, I want to know what's up with the glass candles. I want to see what it's like to try and learn about them (and prophecies and such) in secrecy from your primary teachers. But a large part of it is that I also just want to see what it's like in the Citadel, and how it differs from the rest of Westeros, given that Westeros is ruled by people who want to rule and will kill to do so, whereas the Citadel is run by someone who is swapped annually, and sees the process of running it as a temporary burden distracting them from their primary work.

I guess I'd follow that up with Danaerys. Mostly because her last chapter was one of my favourites in the book. I'm a sucker for survival stories (Arya in KL after escaping the RK, Davos stranded on the Spears after Blackwater, Bran and co. north of the Wall before they find the cave, etc). And it was just getting really exciting.

Samwell. Okay, maybe that's a boring answer, he's just learning to be a maester at a citadel. But still, I want to know what's up with the glass candles. I want to see what it's like to try and learn about them (and prophecies and such) in secrecy from your primary teachers. But a large part of it is that I also just want to see what it's like in the Citadel, and how it differs from the rest of Westeros, given that Westeros is ruled by people who want to rule and will kill to do so, whereas the Citadel is run by someone who is swapped annually, and sees the process of running it as a temporary burden distracting them from their primary work.

I guess I'd follow that up with Danaerys. Mostly because her last chapter was one of my favourites in the book. I'm a sucker for survival stories (Arya in KL after escaping the RK, Davos stranded on the Spears after Blackwater, Bran and co. north of the Wall before they find the cave, etc). And it was just getting really exciting.

I also look forward to Samwell a lot. He might be my Nr 2 I think, after Jon, but before Jaime, Theon, Sansa and Bran. The Glass candles, Alleras/Sarella Sand, Pate/the Alchemist/Jaqen H'ghar, the Grey Sheep, Euron Greyjoy and his plans, the Hightowers getting more involved, all manners of other mysteries he might unravel while in Oldtown... so much good stuff.

I'm not so excited about Dany, mostly because the Dothraki are rather bland compared to other settings in the series. Though it will be more interesting when she is reunited with other major characters. And it will be interesting to see if she will adher to the words Fire and Blood.

I've always had a soft spot for Jon even if he is an idiot. I grew up between cultures (Russian father, east german mother, came to the US when I was still little) and as the outsider of a lot of different social groups (I attended a very prestigious school alongside the kids of the rich and powerful in this city because my father was an assoc. prof. at the university, I still remember the one kid who got dropped off by a chauffeured Rolls everyday; though most of my friends outside of school were on the opposite side of the socioeconomic ladder from my classmates because we didn't live in the same part of the city and I played on a hockey team where I was one of 3-4 token white kids; there was also a large russian community that all came over in short order after the fall of the USSR and stayed close through near weekly gatherings where I had to play with their girls, as I was one of two boys in my age range; and I spent many of my summers back in my native germany so that both of my parents could keep working without figuring out much more expensive things to do with me and my little sister). So I connect with Jon's arc, even if I can't really connect with Jon.

This is why I'm rooting for Jon's body to be recovered by the Others while he's running around in Ghost, so Jon can get to know them like he did first his lowborn Black Brothers, and then the Wildlings. Not sure I actually think this is were GRRM goes, but it's what I'd like to see and it seems to fit what I know of GRRM and what he might do.

From a less crackpotty outlook; I'm curious where the Ironborn arcs go, how Sansa/LF move forward, and what our Dornish friends still have in store, as I can't see them just allying with Aegon without anything sneakier in mind. Though this to may come more from my desires on where I want the series to go more than where I'm thinking it does, as I'd really like for Doran to turn out to be the true Viper who was hiding in the Grass of his much more conspicuous brother's shadow.

The best I can do is narrow it down to five.

If I could read the first POV of any character it would definitely be Jaime. Even though I don't feel that he's at risk of being killed by LS I'm really curious to know how this all works itself out and whether or not Brienne still refuses to betray him. I just can't see her standing by and watching him die but I'm damned if I can figure out how they'll get out of this without it feeling like some kind of cheat, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Sansa's POV is a very close second and depending on my mood I could even go with reading this over Jaime's first POV if given the choice. It's been way too long since we've had a Sansa update. That coupled with the tantalizing hints of her chapters containing something that might be controversial--I feel like almost anything can happen here.

Bran is probably my third choice mainly because I want to see more flashbacks. My main concern is that the first flashbacks we end up seeing won't be about what I'm most interested in.

Cersei. The two trials are among the main things I'm looking forward to in TWOW. I'm convinced that Margaery is marked for death and if she loses and is then executed I'm really looking forward to chaos that will come to KL after something like that. I also want to know what's going through her head post WoS.

It's tough to choose between Jon and Davos but Jon gets the edge for me because of Melisandre and all of the creepy uncertainty that comes with her. Will she resurrect him? Will she come to the conclusion that he's AAR? And what the hell is going to happen to Shireen in all of this?

Just one character. I know we're looking forward to many, if not all characters developing in one way or another, but who are you looking forward to most?

For me, it's Jaime. His current "path to redemption" or whatever you want to call it is, for me, very interesting. In my mind I can already sort of predict what most characters are going to do one way or another, but Jaime is a bit of a mystery. Obviously there's tonnes of exciting things that are going to happen but his character arc offers the most in terms of mystery and potential twists and turns.

Who are you looking forward to most?

A lot of people here are speaking about Jamie and his path to redemption. I don't see it that way. I think he hungers for his lost "honor".

He doesn't give a shit what random people think of him and he couldn't care less about redemption, because in his eyes, slaying Aerys was the greatest thing he did.

He didn't give a shit about tossing Bran out of a window. He loved Cersei that much and didn't want to lose her.

Jamie's point of view is that he wants to be up there with other greats of Westeros history (Arthur Dayne, Barristan Selmy, Gerold Hightower, Aemon Dragonknight and many others).

His only "stain" (ironic) in the White Book is kiling Aerys, thus breaking his vow. And in the context of Westeros history, that's the only thing other generations can judge him by.

Archived