Which character's story are you most looking forward to developing in TWOW?

ImpinDornish

I'm most curious about Melisandre and Ramsay. Melisandre is becoming more fleshed-out and sympathetic as she confesses to self-doubt and I found her protective nature towards Jon Snow to be endearing. She was initially morally ambiguous but I'm now convinced her core motivations are good; though she performs "bad" acts to further her causes, I don't think her devotion is simply a pretext for evil behavior. She genuinely believes certain unforuntate sacrifices are necessary to advance the greater good of securing her God's protection against the darkness/Others. Her philosophy stands in direct contrast to Daenerys's whose results illustrate that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Although more benevolent on the surface, the catastrophic results show Daenerys's judgment to be immature and highly ineffective, causing much more strife than Melisandre's approach.

Ramsay's storyline was surprisingly the among most engaging in ADwD because it was more of a psychological thriller like A Silence of the Lambs instead of the physical horror show of the torture sessions. His letter to Jon Snow was hair-raising and creepy, one of the book's most powerful moments. I got chills and an increased heart rate after reading it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting to the point where the only story lines I really care about are one's that have nothing to do/or as little as possible with the game of thrones. Truly I'm interested in everyone. On a scale from 1 - 10 there nobody below 5 except the Damphair, I really don't give a fuck. Does anyone else agree?

1: Jon Snow - by far the coolest character. He just wants to do what's right and it's so hard.

2: Samwell Tarly: would have said Maester Aemon until....so Sam will have to do.

3:Arya: Her chapters tend to be dry until the very end, but I'm mostly just interested in the Black and White and all the possiblities associated with it.

4:Sana Stark: I would say Littlefinger but the POV is Sansa. WTF is he up to lol.

5: Tyron: no explanation needed

6: Denaerys: no explanation needed other than really she would be at the top if I wasn't so intrigued by the things that don't seem to be involved in teh "Game"

7: Jamie/Brianne

8: Cersei

The chapters I like to read most would be ordered differently. I much prefer to read the Jon, Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, and Denaerys chapters but as for story line my list is given.

Ramsay's storyline was surprisingly the among most engaging in ADwD because it was more of a psychological thriller like A Silence of the Lambs instead of the physical horror show of the torture sessions. His letter to Jon Snow was hair-raising and creepy, one of the book's most powerful moments. I got chills and an increased heart rate after reading it.

I'm with you there. Ramsay/Roose are creepy, especially entertaining the possible Bolt-on theory. Even without that though they are a unique line in the book you just can't help but be terrified about when ever they are involved in something. Jon just doesn't know who he's dealing with....

I think Stanis is done. Anyone else get that sense? Not just from the letter but it's been coming on for a while now. He's not Azzor reborn, his cause seems doomed because people just don't love and support him, and even if he swept all his enemies aside I just don't see him standing up to Denaerys assuming she comes to Westeros. Anyone else think the same?

• 3 weeks later...

Samwell. Okay, maybe that's a boring answer, he's just learning to be a maester at a citadel. But still, I want to know what's up with the glass candles. I want to see what it's like to try and learn about them (and prophecies and such) in secrecy from your primary teachers. But a large part of it is that I also just want to see what it's like in the Citadel, and how it differs from the rest of Westeros, given that Westeros is ruled by people who want to rule and will kill to do so, whereas the Citadel is run by someone who is swapped annually, and sees the process of running it as a temporary burden distracting them from their primary work.

Agree.

However, I'm also very eager to read something new about Arya and Tyrion, as these three are my favorite characters with all their complex facets.

Dickon Tarly. He's been subject to the same upbringing as his brother, but apparently way more successful. Randyll Tarly, being one of the very few "veterans" left in Westeros, is in grave risk of Death By Plot Necessity. Dickon is thirteen, newly wed, heir to Horn Hill and son of a great lord and soldier. He's shown to be honorable and brave enough to report on the soldiers' game about Brienne. His big brother has also relocated to his general vincinity, with Gilly's trip to Horn Hill bridging the two.

Interesting list. We know nothing about Sam's brother except that Randyll vastly prefers him over Sam.

I have a vision - the Others overwhelm the NW and rampage into the south of Westeros. They freeze the water as they come, enabling them to attack cities like Oldtown. Dickon Tarly falls before the fearsome onslaught, and the Reach is about to succumb until … holding a flaming glass candle in one hand, and picking up Heartsbane from his dead brother with his other hand, Sam the Slayer goes on an ice-kicking rampage, sweeping wights and Walkers aside like so much undead chaff. A cheering crowd, now also aware of Sam's previous exploits north of the Wall, hoist him (with great effort) onto their (complaining) shoulders and parade him past an incredulous Randyll Tarly.

If only ...

1. Bran... since anyone's who's interested in astral projection should be fascinated by his warging abilities

2. Arya... because the FM & braavos have the most mystery surrounding them

3. Howland Reed... since we haven't got to truly meet him anddI feel he'll finally reveal what truly happened at Harrenhal and the Tower of Joy

4. Tyrion... because he's the ultimate, underrated, undersized underdog that's going to cast a larger shadow than any other Lannister, and I can't wait to read how he does it

5. Jon Snow... interested in seeing how he deals with the Boltons, wonder if Ghost will give him insight into Roose's true nature

6. Dany

7. LF/Sansa

8. Sam

Archived