Aliens

For a long time I considered the Others to be aliens from a type of Ice world, who are seeking to terraform the entire planet to suit their needs. With the Long Night being that terraforming tool.

And that an opposing race of aliens from a Fire world landed somewhere in the distant south - perhaps Ashai, and are seeking to do the exact same thing, namely terraform the planet to their needs. With dragons being their terraforming tool.

Anyway, replace any references to technology with magic, and you might have something approaching the cosmic battle between Ice and Fire.

So...the Aliens left Dawn behind in their haste to run from the Others?

The Seastone Chair was already on the island when the First Men arrived.

The Children of the Forest have only 4 fingers on each hand.

There is a Wall...700' high...built of Ice & Stone that was built when the strongest material available was bronze...that seems off.

So are these aliens, in your mind, closer to ET or Predator?

Well the legend says dragons spawned from a second moon that cracked. If thats literal, and Planetos is not that moon, then dragons really are extraterrestials, moon beings by origin.

For some reason, I've always believed this actually happened in some form. Dragons seem much too powerful for Planetos, evidence being how the Valyrian Freehold conquered Essos. I think its fitting, if not necessary, to think that they originated elsewhere entirely.

Don't think it's aliens, but there's something to oily black stones that came from the people before. My guess was ancient race or gods, sure hope it's not aliens.

Or they became so advanced that they left this bloody planet behind...therefore they became the aliens wherever they landed.

Obviously aliens built all the oily black stone structures.

The main thing that makes me at least consider the idea is the quote about that one guy worshipping the black stone that fell out of the sky. It's such a random detail and I couldn't help but wonder where the stone to make the other black structures came from.

I definitely can't see aliens coming into the story but I do sort of like the idea of something "otherworldly" having left its mark in TWOIAF.

The stuff with the Seastone Chair is interesting though and makes me wonder if maybe the black stones all come from beneath the sea. Maybe the black oily stone is "seastone" in this world. Hmm, this makes me want to do a reread of some of the Patchface theories now.

This oily black stone, where is mentioned in the book? (Again, I haven't read it all, but I want to check).

Also, it's more likely that whatever it is, it comes from a more ancient civilization, even before the Children, rather than aliens.

Of course, it could be aliens. It always can be aliens... but I doubt it.

(The Nazca Lines are aliens!!! The Paracas are so close and they shaped their skulls to be alien-like... it is known!!!!)

For some reason, I've always believed this actually happened in some form. Dragons seem much too powerful for Planetos, evidence being how the Valyrian Freehold conquered Essos. I think its fitting, if not necessary, to think that they originated elsewhere entirely.

Eh. While they were once everywhere, after the long night they were only found in the fires of old Valyria. So while they're freakishly powerful, it would seem the long night and whatever comes with it is powerful enough to wipe them out.

I think it's more fitting if their origin, like the long night's, lies in the abuse of blood magic, in this case used by the proto-Asshai'i to breed firewyrms with wyverns.

Archived