Video Game Culture 8: everyone is a winnar

Kalbear

In the grand tradition of really amazing doublespeak, Adam Baldwin announced Gamergate 'won' when Anita Sarkeesian went on Colbert. Naturally, Chris Kluwe has some other ideas.

It's still remarkable that Chris Kluwe hasn't been harassed into oblivion despite saying things that are embarassing even to urban dictionary aficionados. It's almost as if there's something different about him compared to Brianna Wu or Anita Sarkeesian. Huh.

And Blizzard basically said to gamergaters STFU, n00bs.

In the grand tradition of really amazing doublespeak, Adam Baldwin announced Gamergate 'won' when Anita Sarkeesian went on Colbert. Naturally, Chris Kluwe has some other ideas.

It's still remarkable that Chris Kluwe hasn't been harassed into oblivion despite saying things that are embarassing even to urban dictionary aficionados. It's almost as if there's something different about him compared to Brianna Wu or Anita Sarkeesian. Huh.

The amazingly stark difference in the response to Klu vs Wu or Sarkeesian really, really should have ended this entire debate. Christ.

It's almost as if there's something different about him compared to Brianna Wu or Anita Sarkeesian. Huh.

Same thing is happening with the people that made that street harassment video. Woman actress that was paid to do the walking around; rape and death threats. Guy who paid her to walk around, actually filmed the video, and produced and distributed the video? Not so much.

Yes and no. Morhaime never mentioned GamerGate directly, and when interviewed about it, he did not exactly look thrilled when his diplomatic approach was undermined by the interviewer putting the words "Anti-GamerGate" in his mouth.

Mind you though, Blizzard has not exactly won points as far as representing diversity in their games. They tend to take very non-committal stances that tip-toe around anything that could be construed as taking a political stance on social issues.

Yes and no. Morhaime never mentioned GamerGate directly, and when interviewed about it, he did not exactly look thrilled when his diplomatic approach was undermined by the interviewee putting the words "Anti-GamerGate" in his mouth.

Mind you though, Blizzard has not exactly won points as far as representing diversity in their games. They tend to take very non-committal stances that tip-toe around anything that could be construed as taking a political stance on social issues.

They've said they are gonna try better in the future and Overwatch at least shows progress. Heck, Diablo 3 does pretty well too imo.

They seem more like a company that just needed someone to remind their art department that comic-booky schlock isn't value neutral.

I am unsure why another issue of the Video Game Culture thread series begins with an opening post about Gamergate. This greatly narrows the context of the discussion.

Since Gamergate started being discussed on the board I have taken the liberty of asking all my irl friends, who are also gamers, what they think about Gamergate. Only one of them even knew what I was talking about. The rest had to be told what it is. This leads me to believe that Gamergate is far less popular in gaming circles, especially in some parts of the world, and is therefore not representative in any way of video game culture in general and therefore the two ought not be conflated when the latter is discussed.

ETA: I listened to Mike's speech, not the follow-up interview (yet) and I concur with Matrim's assessment. Moreover I think it was a poor publicity-move to have this in your opening statement of Blizzcon. It could've been said later, in a much more detailed manner if necessary. To me it seemed like political correctness on Blizzard's part - they mentioned it in an ambiguous manner to score points with as many of their audience as possible, letting each glean what they wish from their statement.

I am unsure why another issue of the Video Game Culture thread series begins with an opening post about Gamergate. This greatly narrows the context of the discussion.

I agree. I started the first thread and galleries it "Video Game Culture" to discuss behaviour by gamers towards other gamers. I knew nothing of GamerGoob and wish I still didn't. The whole bizarre mess has run its course imo, leaving behind only mouth foaming twits. I do think the initial topic merits further discussion, however.

Can the people who were driven from their homes go back yet?

I don't know. Do you know?

I, personally, wouldn't let a couple of chat room psychos keep me from going home. Which is not to say that these people shouldn't be punished for their threats, they most certainly should be, however impotent those threats might be.

I don't think we should give the cretins behind GG any more of our time or attention. If the gaming community, as a whole, policed itself and dealt with the assholes that give gamers a bad name this wouldn't even be an issue. Which is why i think we should be discussing the culture that breeds these creeps, and not the creeps and their silly agenda itself.

Reminds me of those 4chan (8chan?) comments in the other thread. They either thought they had SJWs "by the balls", the interview being a sign of how desperate Anita was, or they were being completely fatalistic about their chances now that Anita had a mainstream podium. Or they were being completely crazy and pretending to be revolutionaries. S'all good stuff.

They tend to take very non-committal stances that tip-toe around anything that could be construed as taking a political stance on social issues.

Pretty sure that's Blizzard in general. A while ago Pardo was saying that diversity wasn't something they valued.

I don't think we should give the cretins behind GG any more of our time or attention. If the gaming community, as a whole, policed itself and dealt with the assholes that give gamers a bad name this wouldn't even be an issue. Which is why i think we should be discussing the culture that breeds these creeps, and not the creeps and their silly agenda itself.

I think what breeds them is the ability to do it, and for the vast majority of the time get away with it. The vast amount of toxicity just doesn't get commented on, that unpleasentness is just the cost of being on the internet.

I am not sure how you can deal with someone, who thinks it's acceptable behaviour to post about drinking blood from a womens vagina.

I think what breeds them is the ability to do it, and for the vast majority of the time get away with it. The vast amount of toxicity just doesn't get commented on, that unpleasentness is just the cost of being on the internet.

I am not sure how you can deal with someone, who thinks it's acceptable behaviour to post about drinking blood from a womens vagina.

In the very first thread i gave an example of how i changed the culture of my WoW Vent/guild years ago. It's possible, as long as there are enough vocal people who give a fuck.

Archived