Video Game Culture 8: everyone is a winnar

Kalbear

I agree that we should keep exploring other options to be used either in conjunction with existing policies or in place of them to further curtail harassment in online gaming environment. However, I also don't believe that we could reach a point of 0 harassment, or close to it, without grossly jeorpadizing what most people will consider to be a reasonable amount of freedom of expression.

Take this board, for instance. The moderating team takes sexist remarks pretty seriously, to the tune of banning any rape apologetics and any advocation of using rape as a form of punishment against female fictional characters (or real people for that matter). And yet, sexist remarks and comments continue to exist because those remarks don't rise to the level of bannable offense. I think any successful policy to regulate the atmosphere of gaminig communities will end up at a similar spot, where there is sufficient mechanisms in place to excise the most egregious offenses AND to reduce the frequency of the mid-level annoyance, but where there will still be low level bigoted remarks in evidence.

Pretty sure that's Blizzard in general. A while ago Pardo was saying that diversity wasn't something they valued.

It does make me think - given their comments on diversity in Overwatch - that Blizzard has had something of an epiphany, even if it was just a "we're going to lose business if we keep on like this" type thing rather then a moral epiphany. Their apparent stance now is just so different from what it was say, six months ago.

And from what we've seen so far of Overwatch I think that they've been making some fair steps in the right direction. Every character from a different nation, two women of colour, 3/5 female characters dressed practically (one of those in full body armour.). But they've still got a fair way to go. Sexualised or not all of the female characters are conventionally attractive and of similar body types, whereas only one of the male characters has an attractive design and the male character designs are far more varied. Small steps I guess.

It's also possible that they felt a bit limited in what they coud do, when dealing with their existing franchises - they don't dare to change too much. With a totally new franchose, and a SF one (which means you can do away with all "historical" - or pseudo-historical - constraints), they may feel more confident and free to create whatever setting and internal rules.

Firstly, I'm not trolling or trying to start any chaos here.

If anyone feels I'm being a fool or petulant child just please don't respond.(because apparently those type of comments don't have a significant impact on me anyway, as they would a woman)

Let's say someone was to believe that gaming/internet harassment was a much more serious problem for women than it is for men. What is the solution for that? Are there proposed gender specific solutions to online harassment?

Also, I'm in no way affiliated with GamerGate

If you're really trying to get a reasonable response, you could leave off with the stupid self-pitying parenthetical.

Well I certainly don't like how this is starting out. Perhaps we should forget I ever brought anything up, I don't want to start any chaos here.

You could have just asked the simple fucking question without your horseshit "apparently."

But since you are apparently incapable of asking a simple fucking question without dragging your own aggrieved sense of entitlement into it, I'll try to answer the question:

With education and social pressure. I used to be somewhat casually misogynistic and an unquestioning consumer of sexist tropes. Education, often by people in this forum, has widened my perspective and caused me to look at my own reactions with a more critical eye. It's not like I can say I am 100% cured of sexist views, but I have made personal progress.

And social pressure: other people speaking up when they see a woman being harassed will help with the broader problem of public harassment. It won't solve the problem, but it will reduce the occurrence and make people think twice about the harassy things they do or intend to do. People aren't casually racist in public settings very often any more because it became socially unacceptable to do so. It sure as fuck didn't kill of racism, but it contributed to progress.

Thank you for pointing out my horseshit, my sense of entitlement, my self pity, and the stupidity of my post, sir. I will do my best to work on that.

Also, I appreciate you pointing them out without any rude behavior whatsoever.

Maybe one day I can be as great as you at identifying and correcting problems of the world.

As DG said, education and social pressure is the answer.

When I first came to these forums (over 10 years ago) I was woefully ignorant on many social issues. Several people here (some still around, some not) and certain folks I've since met through this forum were responsible for me learning tons of new stuff.

Well-informed positions, patience and learning goes a long way.

I don't think many people are anxious to sign up for lessons that include the terms "horseshit, self pity, sense of entitlement, and stupid" thrown at them.

Just stop. You've well earned every bit thrown your way in this thread. Go read through how it all played out and try for some introspection.

No wonder people are reluctant to receive that kind of education. I don't think many people are anxious to sign up for lessons that include the terms "horseshit, self pity, sense of entitlement, and stupid" thrown at them.

It rarely starts with that though, does it? It started inoccuously enough in the previous thread. It was intrangisence that led to the strong wording used above. I might add that the strong wording was likely felt necessary due to the manner in which patient explanation was ignored.

It rarely starts with that though, does it? It started inoccuously enough in the previous thread. It was intrangisence that led to the strong wording used above. I might add that the strong wording was likely felt necessary due to the manner in which patient explanation was ignored.

I see, if one feels they aren't getting their point across to someone else, then that type of wording and treatment is acceptable?

Archived