MLB Offseason : Awards Abound

kairparavel

Congrats to Buck Showalter and Matt Williams. Beltway Managers of the Year.

Cy Young and MVPs tomorrow.

Agree with the Showalter pick, but not so sure about Matty. That Nats club was loaded, and should've gotten further in my estimation. Love the guy, but that had to be one of the easiest assignments for a rookie manager ever.

Agree with the Showalter pick, but not so sure about Matty. That Nats club was loaded, and should've gotten further in my estimation. Love the guy, but that had to be one of the easiest assignments for a rookie manager ever.

They are regular season awards and postseason results [allegedly] don't factor into these decisions. Ergo, giving it to Matt Williams in the wake of the Nationals having the NL's best regular season record is completely kosher.

Lloyd McClendon came in 4th, I think that he probably should have been at least 3rd considering Yost's team basically won in spite of his terrible managing, and of course, Scioscia might have had the easiest job in baseball, its no great achievement to get your team to play to their talent level rather than embarrassing themselves like last year.

Can't wait for Felix to win the Cy tomorrow.

Congrats to Corey Kluber! As an Indians fan, I'm biased, but I think he had a slightly better year than King Felix, who both pitched in a better park for pitchers and was the recipient of some good BABIP luck. Meanwhile Kluber did what he did in front of one of the worst defenses in baseball.

Congrats to Corey Kluber! As an Indians fan, I'm biased, but I think he had a slightly better year than King Felix, who both pitched in a better park for pitchers and was the recipient of some good BABIP luck. Meanwhile Kluber did what he did in front of one of the worst defenses in baseball.

There is a difference between BAPIP luck and inducing weak contact. Felix's ground ball to fly ball ratio was 2.14 vs Kluber's 1.57, meaning Felix induced 2 groundballs for every one flyball, versus Kluber induced 1.57 ground balls for every one fly ball. Thats not BABIP luck, that is skill. Also the difference between Kluber's 21.4 and Felix's 17.f also indicates it isn't just a matter of getting lucky, he is just not allowing ball to be hit hard.

Also Felix played in a stronger division.

I'm sure there is, but anytime a pitcher has a BABIP against that's significantly below .300, it's purely a matter of luck.

I just told you exactly how it isn't entirely a matter of luck. Sure it would be somewhat higher if he were playing in front of a less competent defense, but considering ground balls results in a greater number of outs. As for anything significantly lower than .300 BABIP being luck, I guess Clayton Kershaw's 2.78 BABIP was purely luck, and had nothing to do with his 51.8 GB%, and I imagine that the 20 percentage points difference in his and Felix's BABIP isn't due to the fact that he had a 19% line drive rate vs Felix's 17.5%.

In addition, if you consider that it was really only one game, the August 29th game against the nationals where they hit 4 home runs off Felix. Now, obviously whats done is done, but if you remove that one massive outlyer, Felix actually has a lower FIP (2.34) than Kluber (2.35). Obviously we could play this game all day, picking out bad performance here and there, and like I said, whats done is done, I'm just really grumpy about this.

It was Felix's year damn it. :crying:

ETA: Ok, having read some of the voter's statements about why voted for Kluber I'mm even more irritated. The one thing that united all of them was comments about Kluber's strong September (one even said that both teams were still in the race in sSeptember which is a load of shit, there was no way Cleveland was going to overtake KC or OAK much less the Mariners, no matter what the games back said). The fact that they are using one month's data (a month in which Felix was actually better than Kluber (in part due to a scoring change that subtracted 4 runs from his ERA)) out of an entire season just irks me.

Kluber was quite a surprise.

Also, no love for the RoYs? Jose Abreu got the unanimous vote in the AL, which is no surprise. I'm glad DeGrom stepped up to earn NL RoY, giving it to Hamilton or Wong just because everyone else sucked would have been sad.

GT, I'm not going to get into a pissing match about this. Both Kluber and Hernandez' numbers are more similar than they are different. Choosing one over the other is just going to come down to which esoteric stat you happen to favor (I prefer WAR, myself). They both had Cy Young caliber seasons, no question.

Lot of young talent. They will have to pay or trade them eventually. Hopefully we can add enough offense this offseason. I like the Cudduyer move. Professional hitter, as Long as he stays healthy.

I hope they spend the money to keep them. If they add some bats they will be an exciting team to watch.

Archived