Season 5 leftouts?

Wood of the Morning

• 3 weeks later...

It's a shame they killed Talisa, the Boltons could have had Ramsay marry her since her unborn child would have been heir to winterfell, then just killed the child once she fathered a child with Ramsay. Then the Blackfish could have gone to the wall and helped jon plot a rescue to get his dead brother's wife out of winterfell instead. It doesn't help Theon's arc though since he did know her and they wouldn't need him to vouch for her.

This would be more acceptable if they hadn't dragged out Season 4 so much. Wildings climb Wall in Season 3, don't attack CB until last episode of S4. Delaying Arya going to Braavos a season. Was Tyrion's inconclusive trial the most important event in the whole series? They spent more time on it than any other event (even the Wot5k).

I reckon this is right plot wise, some crap just dragged out far too long, as we had useless filler like Crasters Keep etc. Could have moved everyone to where they are now by E6 say and then gone into other stuff

I think it comes down to practical issues though, eg scouting locations, shooting/filming in them but most significantly is the casting and casting budget, they had to clear out a lot of regular and recurring actors front Tywin to Jojen in order to free up spots for the new incoming characters. Expect a few more to be cleared out or go on hiatus in s6 to make room for Euron, Victarion (need both, can do without Damphair) and hopefully Jon Connington and a Young Griff (would have them in as a duo). It would be late in the piece but would work TV wise

I would expect the northern conspiracies to be condensed too, eg just having Greatjon as opposition to Roose and Freys and doing away with Barbrey Dustin and Manderly and their subplots

Yeah I reckon in the first few seasons they were staying faithful but are feeling tired and don't want to do beyond 7 seasons,which is a shame because it should be fleshed out to 10. But I reckon if they were doing season 1 now we'd probably be without people like Rickon for example and season 3 would just have one of the Reeds and the Greyjoy Uncles wouldn't have been name-dropped and there'd even be only two leeches etc etc

So while they were name-dropping and preparing the way for Tysha, a Varys-Illyrio plot etc etc and of course they brought Beric and BWB and Thoros and Anguy in properly I suspect they are shying away from them and the Riverlands, despite the fact they were showing its destruction in E1 of last season

Of course what I am hoping is that Jaimie and Bronn are in Dorne plus an adjusted Ellaria role to introduce the new characters in context of already known ones (may actually be a good idea in TV show terms) and then fully go into Jaimie's Riverlands plots in season 6 and then bring in Brienne and the BWB but probably at this stage led by Blackfish. I suspect this will combine with Sansa moving into the Riverlands from the Vale

Yeah I reckon in the first few seasons they were staying faithful but are feeling tired and don't want to do beyond 7 seasons,which is a shame because it should be fleshed out to 10. But I reckon if they were doing season 1 now we'd probably be without people like Rickon for example and season 3 would just have one of the Reeds and the Greyjoy Uncles wouldn't have been name-dropped and there'd even be only two leeches etc etc

So while they were name-dropping and preparing the way for Tysha, a Varys-Illyrio plot etc etc and of course they brought Beric and BWB and Thoros and Anguy in properly I suspect they are shying away from them and the Riverlands, despite the fact they were showing its destruction in E1 of last season

Of course what I am hoping is that Jaimie and Bronn are in Dorne plus an adjusted Ellaria role to introduce the new characters in context of already known ones (may actually be a good idea in TV show terms) and then fully go into Jaimie's Riverlands plots in season 6 and then bring in Brienne and the BWB but probably at this stage led by Blackfish. I suspect this will combine with Sansa moving into the Riverlands from the Vale

With Sansa's arc, I suspect the show runners will do show created fillers. Her AFFC arc was done at Season 2, I would be surprise if the show do plots from TWOW.

Leftouts? People who are cut from S5 and will never appear in the show?

- Harwood Stout

- Borroq

- Barbrey Dustin

- Robett Glover

- Karstark plot (at least Alys/Cregan, not sure if Arnolf makes the cut)

I think they might cut Euron and Vic from this season, but show them next season, when they have more things to do, like Euron assaulting Oldtown, Victarion in Battle of Meereen. My humble interpretation is that that the Season 5's big battle of episode 9 will be Battle of Ice, if they even have a battle. We've heard that Walk of Shame will be in episode 9, as well as Jaime's and Doran Martell's conversation. But, will there even be a battle in Season 5? Season 1 had none, Season 2 had Blackwater, Season 3 none, Season 4 the Wall and season 5 propably none too?

But that would leave three battles for Season 6. They HAVE TO show us the Battle of Ice and Battle of Meereen. They can cut off the Connington's seat and go straight to Storm's End, with the siege of it being similar how we saw Robb's victories in seasons 1 and 2.

For the Pink Letter and the "For the Watch", we must at least see the opening of Battle of Ice this season, maybe the whole battle next season? And they can't anymore do that "episode 9 big climax" thingy. Battle for the Wall should have been in episode 3 or 4. If they are going to show us Battles of Meereen and Winterhell, they must abandon the big battles for episode 9 thing, right?

EDITTO: Added Karstarks to list

With Sansa's arc, I suspect the show runners will do show created fillers. Her AFFC arc was done at Season 2, I would be surprise if the show do plots from TWOW.

Why would that be a surprise?

I'd be far more surprised if it turned out that they have rushed/gotten rid of almost all of her AFFC material in season 4 (which they didn't have to do, they could have stretched it out), just to write a lot of filler for season 5.

Why would that be a surprise?

I'd be far more surprised if it turned out that they have rushed/gotten rid of almost all of her AFFC material in season 4 (which they didn't have to do, they could have stretched it out), just to write a lot of filler for season 5.

since you said that, what the show did by having arya and sandor meet brianne they might do the same with sansa and brianne as well.

my point is since Jaime will be at Dorne then I would have to guess the riverlands storyline will not be included in S5. Which I think the show will create there own stories from the books

Isn't it that Jaime is in Dorne only in episode 9? Couldn't it be that after his Riverlands adventures he is sent to there? IMHO that would ruin the dynamics between him and Cersei, especially when Jaime burns her letter. Because how could he be sent there without him answering the Cersei's letter as well?

Isn't it that Jaime is in Dorne only in episode 9? Couldn't it be that after his Riverlands adventures he is sent to there? IMHO that would ruin the dynamics between him and Cersei, especially when Jaime burns her letter. Because how could he be sent there without him answering the Cersei's letter as well?

I think there's evidence out there that Jaime's in Dorne by episode 4 - see the first page of the "Casting, News, and Speculation V 7" thread. So if he's in Dorne for episodes 4 through 9, there's not much time for the Riverlands.

Total shot in the dark guess that just occurred to me: I wonder if Jaime may never return to Kings Landing in the show? What if, for some reason, he heads off in the direction of Essos? As you say - it seems like there should be a moment when he refuses to return to Cersei. Who knows; maybe the surprisingly amicable parting between Jaime and Tyrion will lead to Tyrion begging his brother for help, and Jaime choosing Tyrion over Cersei.

He could easily burn Cersei's letter in Dorne.

I think there's evidence out there that Jaime's in Dorne by episode 4 - see the first page of the "Casting, News, and Speculation V 7" thread. So if he's in Dorne for episodes 4 through 9, there's not much time for the Riverlands.

Total shot in the dark guess that just occurred to me: I wonder if Jaime may never return to Kings Landing in the show? What if, for some reason, he heads off in the direction of Essos? As you say - it seems like there should be a moment when he refuses to return to Cersei. Who knows; maybe the surprisingly amicable parting between Jaime and Tyrion will lead to Tyrion begging his brother for help, and Jaime choosing Tyrion over Cersei.

Might be, but if Jaime goes to Essos, doesn't that kinda ruin the books, since I don't think our humble fellow Jaime is never even going to see anything across the Narrow Sea. If he survives the series, he will go to the Wall, not Essos.

I think he will return, once, to mercy-kill Cersei and himself when it burns. (Well, that part is fanfic, but what I meant is, he'll just return at the very end of the show.)

• 2 weeks later...

Trimming the fat isn't neccessarily a bad thing. Books 4 and 5 were supposed to be one book anyway, but were bloated out to the point where the proper endings of Book 5 couldn't even be included.

And with the budgetary and seasonal constraints the show is working with, more and more alterations and ommissions will certainly happen:

- Dany already has the fleet Victarion was supposed to bring, so that part is gone.

- We might get Asha/Yara at Deepwood Motte, but I don't see any other Ironborn being used, besides Theon.

- Arianne and Quentyn may be fused into Trystane at this point (because I do still believe someone will be burned alive by the captive dragons).

- There has been no build-up for Manderly, so at best that scene could appear if conducted by some other already existing character, but I doubt it (Mellisandre could look into the flames and tell Davos where to find Rickon, which takes care of that plot-point).

- The Brotherhood without Banners may come back in Brienne's story arc, but that's an unknown quantity at this point.

- Young Griff is likely to be ommited altogether, and I suspect the Golden Company will be hired by the Iron Bank of Bravos to make them a threat, since the Iron Bank has indeed been built up for several seasons now.

- And Walder Frey is already at Riverrun, so there won't be any sieging going on.

Archived