ASOIAF Elimination Games: Voting on a Topic for Game XXXV

honeyed chicken

We can do that if you want. It just seems like most of the list would be filler, especially since we only have to get rid of 4 to have 30. We could take out Dunk's horses, so if we could just get rid of 2 more, we'd be fine. I'd vote to get rid of Meleys and Syrax. But since Annara added Syrax, I'd let her make another suggestion. (You can, too, HC. :) I just figured Annara would have a stronger opinion since you said you don't know much about the Dance dragons.)

I really don't know who I'd take out other than Rain and Meleys. But I'm not giving up on Syrax. There's something really compelling about the story of a dragon who gets pushed from the brink of sanity by rage and grief at witnessing a brutal massacre of her kin, and dies engaging in acts of brutal vengeful violence with no sense of self-preservation. She's like the Catelyn Stark of dragons. ;)

I really don't know who I'd take out other than Rain and Meleys. But I'm not giving up on Syrax. There's something really compelling about the story of a dragon who gets pushed from the brink of sanity by rage and grief at witnessing a brutal massacre her kin, and dies engaging in acts of brutal vengeful violence with no sense of self-preservation. She's like the Catelyn Stark of dragons. ;)

:lol: Ok, ok. Are there any you don't care for? Even if they're interesting, I don't really like Sunfyre and Cannibal. Because they're mean and eat other dragons. :(

We can do that if you want. It just seems like most of the list would be filler, especially since we only have to get rid of 4 to have 30. We could take out Dunk's horses, so if we could just get rid of 2 more, we'd be fine. I'd vote to get rid of Meleys and Syrax. But since Annara added Syrax, I'd let her make another suggestion. (You can, too, HC. :) I just figured Annara would have a stronger opinion since you said you don't know much about the Dance dragons.)

Well yes, if there's only 4 and you can agree which dragons or other critters to leave off, I'll be fine with whatever you decide.

Where is Stranger ?

The list when last time this game was played:

Grey Wind
Lady
Nymeria
Summer
Shaggydog
Ghost
Ser Pounce
Lady Whiskers
Boots
Drogon
Rhaegal
Viserion
Mormont's raven
Orell's eagle
Smiler
Stranger
The black tom cat
Dog
Coldhands' elk
Borroq's boar
The boar that killed Robert
Dancer
The bear of the Bloody Mummers
Arya's cat in Braavos
Weese's dog
Proudwing
Dany's Silver
Varamyr's Animals
Ramsay's dogs
Pretty Pig
Crunch
Balerion

I see all the debates on dragons, so I've come up with a possible solution. Get rid of Lady? She's the only direwolf whose personality wasn't developed. (Although you could say the same for some of the other animals too.)

Noooo! :crying: And we know about her personality, more than about some of the others on the list.

Where is Stranger ?

The list when last time this game was played:

Grey Wind

Lady

Nymeria

Summer

Shaggydog

Ghost

Ser Pounce

Lady Whiskers

Boots

Drogon

Rhaegal

Viserion

Mormont's raven

Orell's eagle

Smiler

Stranger

The black tom cat

Dog

Coldhands' elk

Borroq's boar

The boar that killed Robert

Dancer

The bear of the Bloody Mummers

Arya's cat in Braavos

Weese's dog

Proudwing

Dany's Silver

Varamyr's Animals

Ramsay's dogs

Pretty Pig

Crunch

Balerion

Stranger is on the list.

Our list is much better than that one, which doesn't contain the dragons other than Dany's. The boar that killed Robert wasn't even seen on-page.

ETA: or we could add all those other animals - even though many of them will be filler - to make two lists and choose 15 from each.

This is the last list with some of the discussion.
I went through all the comments and boiled them down very crudely. If someone said an animal didn't have much characterization, or they would be willing to leave it off the list I put a minus with the person's initial by the animal's name. If someone said something positive or wanted to have an animal stay, I put a plus with the initial by the animal's name.
A few things jump out. While I don't know the dragons from the dance, clearly you guys do and have strong feelings about them. But nobody has said a thing about Balerion (dragon), Vhagar and Meraxes. We know whose dragons they were and their place in history but Martin hasn't written that part of the pre history yet has he? So they are unknown to us at this point. Do you want to keep them for their historic importance, or let them go?
Seasmoke and Vermithor also got no mentions. Could they be let go? How about Ser Pounce (nice name, but seriously?).
If we let go Dunk's horses and Meleys we only need to drop one more animal: Ser Pounce, Vermithor, Seasmoke, or one of the big three (Balerion et al).
1. Ghost A+
2. Nymeria A+
3. Summer A+
4. Shaggydog A+
5. Lady A+ LL- A+
6. Greywind A+
7. Stranger/Driftwood (Hound's) A+ B+
8. Dog (Meribald) HC+
9. Balerion (cat) P+
10. Ser Pounce (cat)
11. Mormont's raven A+
12. Rain (Dunk's) A-, P- P- A-
13. Dany's silver
14. Thunder (Dunk's) A-, P+ P-
15. Balerion (dragon)
16. Vhagar
17. Meraxes
18. Cannibal P- A- P-
19. Grey Ghost P- P+ A- A+
20. Meleys P- P- A-
21. Moondancer A+
22. Seasmoke
23. Sheepstealer A+
24. Silverwing A+
25. Sunfyre A+ P- P+ P-
26. Tessarion A+
27. Caraxes P+ A+
28. Vermithor
29. Drogon P+
30. Rhaegal P+
31. Viserion P+
32. Dreamfyre A+
33. Syrax A+ P- A+
34. old blind dog at the Fingers A+

We should have more people weigh in on this. It's not like me and Pancake will be the only people playing the game (hopefully not :D).

We can't make people vote. Everybody as had more than enough time to weigh in. Let's get this going - we only need to take off one more.

I agree with Cannibal and Meleys. Blind dog (sorry poor pup) & Vermithor.

Ok, so all agree to take off Cannibal & Meleys.

Ghost, are you saying you want to keep Rain & Sunfyre on the list?

How about we compromise and keep Sunfyre & blind dog, but let Rain & Vermithor go?

1. Ghost A+

2. Nymeria A+

3. Summer A+

4. Shaggydog A+

5. Lady A+ LL- A+

6. Greywind A+

7. Stranger/Driftwood (Hound's) A+ B+

8. Dog (Meribald) HC+

9. Balerion (cat) P+

10. Ser Pounce (cat)

11. Mormont's raven A+

12. Syrax A+ P- A+

13. Dany's silver

14. Thunder (Dunk's) A-, P+ P-

15. Balerion (dragon)

16. Vhagar

17. Meraxes

18. old blind dog at the Fingers A+

19. Grey Ghost P- P+ A- A+

20. Dreamfyre A+

21. Moondancer A+

22. Seasmoke

23. Sheepstealer A+

24. Silverwing A+

25. Sunfyre A+ P- P+ P-

26. Tessarion A+

27. Caraxes P+ A+

28. Viserion P+

29. Drogon P+

30. Rhaegal P+

31. Rain (Dunk's) A-, P- P- A-

32. Vermithor

Ok, so all agree to take off Cannibal & Meleys.

Ghost, are you saying you want to keep Rain & Sunfyre on the list?

How about we compromise and keep Sunfyre & blind dog, but let Rain & Vermithor go?

Works for me! Vermithor is not so interesting by himself, come to think of it - far less so than Sunfyre. The most interesting thing about him was Silverwing's reaction to his death.

Archived