What the hell did happen at Summerhall?

:bawl: I don't know!!!!!!!

I knew it was a pipe dream, but the mystery of Summerhall was something I was hoping would be explained in full detail in the World Book. I guess GRRM is saving it for Winds and D/E.

I tend to think that Egg was going to use Rhaegar's birth as a sort of sympathetic magic--a figurative dragon being born into the world causes the eggs to hatch and bring forth literal dragons. My guess (GUESS) is that the GoHH/Woods Witch told Egg that he could get dragons back but rather failed to mention how that would happen.

I really want to know what Dunk did when the fire got intense. Did Egg order Dunk to save Rhaella/unborn baby Rhaegar at all costs--even sacrificing the life of the King?

It was stated that Aegon wanted Dragons to help force his reforms which favoured the smallfolk, and that many noble lords were unhappy with his proposals. He sent people to Essos to learn lost arts of hatching eggs.

My guess is he learned of some hatching method, gathered the family together and things either got out of control accidentally, or some disgruntled lord sabotaged the event.

It seems to me that a key component of magic in this world, is blood sacrifice. It is noted to be used in many magical elements. I think Dany was succesful because of her blood, as well as her sacrifice of Mirri maz dur.

Well, we know that pyromancers were involved, and those guys are congenital screwups, so in part I expect they just overdid it and burned everything down.

The big question is the "treason" that was committed there, which is a separate human element we don't have any real clues about.

I'm not sure if this whole thing is ever going to become important in the main series. George himself has said that he'll reveal what happened there in the last Dunk & Egg story, and I really see a big connection to the overall story of the series, nor a very good way how to touch upon the subject in the main series (pretty much everyone we know who could have been there is dead - Pycelle, Tywin, Steffon, Aerys, Rhaella, Shaera, Jaehaerys, Duncan, Jenny, Dunk, Egg, Betha, etc.).

Whatever Egg planned could have had some bearing on the dragon-hatching process, but it does not seem likely that it touched upon on the promised prince mystery. In fact, the way Egg supposedly reacted to Jaehaerys' wish to marry Aerys to Rhaella strongly suggests that he considered this whole topic to be, well, bogus.

The most gruesome theory I read was the suggestion that Aegon V tried to sacrifice newborn Rhaegar to hatch the eggs.

That almost sounds like something GRRM would do. We are introduced to Egg as a little kid, we generally like him and think he's a good..egg...and then BOOM. Baby sacrificier.

Aegon proves that most Targaryens are fallible. They're drawn to physical dragons for their power to rule. There's a lot hidden within the words that a dragon has three heads. Was that the kind of dragon Aegon expected? Aegon was drawn by the image of an all-powerful dragon to help rule.

Aegon simply misunderstands those words about a three-headed dragon. Whatever causes Aegon to misunderstand, or misinterpret, those words makes him blind. He seems to have forgotten the most basic fact: that three-headed dragons have never existed in anything other than House Targaryen's sigil.

The dragon must have three heads - It is a metaphor for something else, perhaps a basic concept encapsulated within three prime or key words. That's what I think. It won't be Fire And Blood. Those are too obvious to go for.

I'm not sure if this whole thing is ever going to become important in the main series. George himself has said that he'll reveal what happened there in the last Dunk & Egg story, and I really see a big connection to the overall story of the series, nor a very good way how to touch upon the subject in the main series (pretty much everyone we know who could have been there is dead - Pycelle, Tywin, Steffon, Aerys, Rhaella, Shaera, Jaehaerys, Duncan, Jenny, Dunk, Egg, Betha, etc.).

Whatever Egg planned could have had some bearing on the dragon-hatching process, but it does not seem likely that it touched upon on the promised prince mystery. In fact, the way Egg supposedly reacted to Jaehaerys' wish to marry Aerys to Rhaella strongly suggests that he considered this whole topic to be, well, bogus.

If Jenny was there, the strange little woman that Jenny claimed was a Child was also probably there. That woman is most likely The Ghost of HIgh Heart. I suspect if we get any more clues on Summerhall, they may come from her.

Slanderous nonsense! Egg would never.

Aegon V gradually became obsessed with dragons. He was convinced that with them, Westeros would accept his reforms.

The most gruesome theory I read was the suggestion that Aegon V tried to sacrifice newborn Rhaegar to hatch the eggs.

As far-fetched as it sounds, I think it could actually be possible, we have to keep in mind these people were desperate for dragons, and Egg also became obsessed in the latter days of his life.

If someone told him that only King's blood could wake dragons from stone he might have taken the risk, with the youngest child being born

That's not being "obsessed". Aegon's kids fucked up and he had to make amends.

Aegon sent out missionaries to find any arcane information that they could to hatch dragons. Maybe 'obsessed' is a strong word; shall we say 'increasingly convinced'. And I don't think that Egg's children necessarily 'fucked up'; they simply chose to marry (or not) whom they wanted, just like their father did.

Egg the Squire and Aegon the Unlikely were not the same people.

Archived