Does Ser Pounce have a role to play or is he just fluff?

Archmaester Drew

Now all I want to see is a drawling of the iron throne with Ser Pounce sitting on it, a tiny crown on his head. Balerion the ancient kitty prowling the floor.

King Pounce First of his name knight of the meows and cuddles ...

Found a couple of Ser Pounce-on-the-throne via Tumblr:

https://twitter.com/dangerousbeans/status/462997780425097216

http://outerhavens.tumblr.com/post/37215366529/in-the-end-ser-pounce-will-sit-on-the-iron-throne

If you want a somewhat serious answer:

I think you have to look at Ser Pounce in the context of the cat motif throughout the books. Cats do seem to be connected to the Lannister lions and I think you can also think of the contrast between cats and hounds in the books.

Joffrey had The Hound to protect him for quite awhile and the purple wedding takes place only after The Hound leaves Joffrey's service. It's hard to imagine that Tommen's cat plays a similar protective role, but maybe the cat is a symbolic talisman and we will know Tommen is at risk if something happens to the cat. Joffrey used to shoot cats with his crossbow, so he didn't seem to value whatever qualities Tommen sees in them. (Similarly, Bronn tells Tyrion that Joffrey killed a baby fawn that Tommen was keeping as a pet so he could have a jerkin made from its pelt. Tommen gets another fawn, according to Bronn. So both the Baratheon and Lannister sigils may be covered in these similar incidents.)

Arya engaged in a "catch and release" process of catching the feral cats of King's Landing as part of her waterdancer training. There was one old tom cat that she had trouble catching but she finally got ahold of him and he gave her a bad scratch and then got away. Arya is compared to a mouse, among her many changing identities. Maybe Tommen's cat association and Arya's mouse identity will foreshadow an interaction yet to come. Of course, Sansa is a little bird - not a happy camper around cats that pounce.

Right after the chapter with Arya catching cats, we find Catelyn (sometimes called Cat) capturing Tyrion, who is wearing a notable shadowcat cloak. The cloak seems to give Tyrion luck or skill or quick wits or something as he copes with his confinement and trial at the Eyrie. Maybe Tyrion is to Catelyn Stark as the stray tom cat is to Arya - Catelyn certainly believed that the dagger that cut her hand belonged to Tyrion.

I agree that Ser Pounce (as well as the fawn) seems to establish Tommen as an innocent and nurturing child, in contrast to Joffrey. But I think there's more to it. Little kittens grow to become big cats . . .

It would be interesting to see a thread devoted to pets - maybe there already is one. I was listening to the audio of ASOS today, and realized that Lord Commander Mormont keeps a raven while Jon Snow keeps a CRAVEN (Samwell Tarley). I think GRRM's use of puns and wordplay is deft and deliberate and I look forward to puzzling out the relationship between Sam and the raven as I listen to the books again.

What a great response. I particularly like the idea in bold. :cool4:

He will then unite the seven Kingdoms and start the Era of the benign feline Overlords.

"benign feline" must be an oxymoron. ;)

I say Jon Connington will sew Ser Pounce's head onto Tommen's body after he beheads the kid and stabs the cat 50 times. That will bring the North into Aegon's cause.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

The kittens were very clever gifts for Margaery to give Tommen...

The most significant thing about Ser Pounce is that he's BR's eyes inside the royal apartments.

The second most significant thing is that the kittens help Margery build a bond with Tommen based on affection at an age when Tommen probably thinks kissing is gross.

Nobody taught Cersei that one catches more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I thought that Ser Pounce could be used as a way to spy on the Royal family by Bran or Bloodraven so that they could find out what is being planned by the Lannisters or even by Varys if Aegon takes the throne. I mean how many people are going to worry about a kitten over hearing something. It would also be funny to have Vary's little Birds get taken down by cats.

I secretly want Tommen to be a Warg. He and his 3 cats will escape the pointless fighting over the Iron Throne and roam the countryside as hedge knights.

And Brienne will be with them, because she is gonna teach them how to be proper knights.

• 7 months later...

This is not a show thread. Why do you ignore Lady Whiskers and Boots? Ser Pounce can't even protect his rights(he let Lady Whiskers steal his food), how will he look after Tommen?

Could the pussy has three heads theory of Jaime Cersei and Tyrion riding these pussies into battle against the others have substance?

Archived