Why people defend the Targaryans

yankee211

I personal dont like the Targaryan dynasty, because they always rely on there dragons to win battles never their armies, take their sisters for wives resulting in children to might turn out insane.I also like the fact that Robert's Rebellion happened, because the Targaryan rule was unjust.

Isn't there a saying about the gods flipping a coin each time a Targ is born. The sane ones can be absolutely brilliant, the insane ones complete psychopaths.

I guess in Westeros, a 50-50 shot at a great leader is better than the alternative.

And ofcourse, dragon's are pretty cool.

I think that's pretty much Targaryen propaganda. Many of the Targaryen kings were neither mad nor brilliant, just average.

Isn't there a saying about the gods flipping a coin each time a Targ is born. The sane ones can be absolutely brilliant, the insane ones complete psychopaths.

I guess in Westeros, a 50-50 shot at a great leader is better than the alternative.

And ofcourse, dragon's are pretty cool.

Who said that? Jaeherys, a Targaryen who was neither insane or brilliant :dunno:

I don't mind the Targaryens.

Ok, the incest creeps me out, but it was pretty much done for dragon riding purposes and all of the great houses in Westeros practice - or at least have done at some point - it to one extent or another.

From time to time you got a stand out - at either end of the great/mad spectrum - but the majority of them were pretty average. The Targaryens are no more or less virtuous than any of the other great houses. They got to where they were because Aegon and his sisters had a powerful weapon - namely dragons.This is no different than any other conqueror.

I personal dont like the Targaryan dynasty, because they always rely on there dragons to win battles never their armies, take their sisters for wives resulting in children to might turn out insane.I also like the fact that Robert's Rebellion happened, because the Targaryan rule was unjust.

The Targs held their power for almost 150 years after their dragons died out.

Also, if you take a peek at the Targ family tree you'll see they married outside the family quite a bit.

As far as Robert's rebellion, how's that dynasty working out?

The Targaryens were the greatest thing to ever happen to westeros. Why do people defend them? because they're damn awesome. They make the best stories eg look at the reigns of all Targ kings in TWOIAF.

Instead you'd have Robert who was a drunkard fool and look at all his successors. Robert was the worst thing to happen to Westeros!

Edit: Maegor wasn't actually that bad of a king. Cruel yes but it can be argued for such a time, such a king was needed especially given what a weakling his predecessor was (Aenys 1).

Aerys's entire reign excluding his final days were okay due to Tywin. This is further shown as some lowborns said during Robert's reign that during the reign of the mad king they would never be treated so badly. Aerys's reign was great and the royal treasury was full of gold by the time the rebellion came to an end which Robert over the course of a few years blew it all up and set in motions due to his carelessness a war that would wreak havoc upon most kingdoms and leave the 7 kingdoms in a bad state for the upcoming war of dawn 2.0 which itself may end up killing the majority of citizens of Westeros.

Aegon the Unworthy however was just...vile. That dumb ass is plain pathetic. Although what I do like about him is that his sperm gave us Daeron The Good. I already liked him but after reading his chapter in TWOIAF he's probably in the top 3 greatest kings with Jaehaerys the wise and myself. An utterly amazing king. It's a shame he died due to the great spring sickness. He had the potential to be as great as Jaehaerys's the wise!

The Targaryens were the greatest thing to ever happen to westeros. Why do people defend them? because they're damn awesome. They make the best stories eg look at the reigns of all Targ kings in TWOIAF.

Instead you'd have Robert who was a drunkard fool and look at all his successors. Robert was the worst thing to happen to Westeros!

I'd say Maegor the Cruel, Aerys the Mad King and Aegon the Unworthy were all much worse than Robert. As a king Robert is quite average, certainly not good, but still not terrible considering past kings. As for his successors: Joffrey would probably have been compared to Aerys and Maegor if his reign had been long, and Tommen is still just a kid, so we don't know what kind of king he could grow up to become.

Robert's reign is what happens when you try to marry someone else's sister. He should have married Stannis. The Realm would be happier. :dunno:

So ends the line of Baratheons? Do you allow for out-of-marriage encounters to ensure the line continues? How about throwing Renly in for a threesome? Can you imagine this? Stags clashing antlers for supremacy. Winner takes all until the next clash. Would you need Mel to deliver the offspring of Robert and Stannis, with or without Renly in the mix?

The Realm would be laughing their socks off!

So ends the line of Baratheons? Do you allow for out-of-marriage encounters to ensure the line continues? How about throwing Renly in for a threesome? Can you imagine this? Stags clashing antlers for supremacy. Winner takes all until the next clash. Would you need Mel to deliver the offspring of Robert and Stannis, with or without Renly in the mix?

The Realm would be laughing their socks off!

A happy Realm is a prosper Realm! :D

1. They had some rulers who were batshit and/or total a-holes, but the rest ranged from good to awesome.

2. They practiced polygamy and incest because they came from a completely different culture and religions where the same ethical codes were not followed. It's not exactly like they were the odd ones out of Valyria.

3. The Targaryens built Westeros as we know it. Before they came there was no capital, and no state for that matter- only a scattered bunch of kingdoms.

Archived