Why people defend the Targaryans

yankee211

As evidenced by the large amount of support Aegon got against Harren the Black.

Plus the Targs ruled Westeros for like 285yrs, the Starks, Arryns, Lannisters, etc have been ruling their regions for thousands of years some of their rulers have been equaling monstrous, incestuous, stupid, etc..... the Targs are not the only monarch who have had horrible people.

When comparing Targs to Robert Baratheon don't forget that Robert is quite a Targ himself. Descendant of the Oris bastard-Targ line and also Aegon Vth-s blood. He (and not Ned or Jon Arryn) took the Iron throne after the rebelion because "he had the better claim", meaning that ignoring Aerys 's line he was the hire of the Targaryen dinasty.

I'd say Maegor the Cruel, Aerys the Mad King and Aegon the Unworthy were all much worse than Robert. As a king Robert is quite average, certainly not good, but still not terrible considering past kings. As for his successors: Joffrey would probably have been compared to Aerys and Maegor if his reign had been long, and Tommen is still just a kid, so we don't know what kind of king he could grow up to become.

Maegor wasn't actually that bad of a king. Cruel yes but it can be argued for such a time, such a king was needed especially given what a weakling his predecessor was (Aenys 1).

Aerys's entire reign excluding his final days were okay due to Tywin. This is further shown as some lowborns said during Robert's reign that during the reign of the mad king they would never be treated so badly. Aerys's reign was great and the royal treasury was full of gold by the time the rebellion came to an end which Robert over the course of a few years blew it all up and set in motions due to his carelessness a war that would wreak havoc upon most kingdoms and leave the 7 kingdoms in a bad state for the upcoming war of dawn 2.0 which itself may end up killing the majority of citizens of Westeros.

Aegon the Unworthy however was just...vile. That dumb ass is plain pathetic. Although what I do like about him is that his sperm gave us Daeron The Good. I already liked him but after reading his chapter in TWOIAF he's probably in the top 3 greatest kings with Jaehaerys the wise and myself. An utterly amazing king. It's a shame he died due to the great spring sickness. He had the potential to be as great as Jaehaerys's the wise!

Robert was Aegon IV reborn.

Nope, nope, nope. Bobby B was a pathetic guy, but nowhere near Aegon IV's level of depravity. Aegon IV was viler, a bigger nymphomaniac and smarter than Robert.

Not really. Aegon IV was not only more of womanizer than Robert, he was truly a vile person, and arguably the worst human being to rule Westeros.

:agree:

I'm not sure, I mean Maegor was bad, but the only reason Aegon IV didn't kill more people was because he didn't had dragons.

You could even argue that at least Maegor's madness did bring some positive changes. He constructed most of the Red Keep and he did break the power of the Faith. Without Maegor, Jaeherys could never have offered to protect the Faith and the IT would have had to be carefull to appease the Faith whenever it could.

Aegon IV has nothing to show for all his scumbaggery. His attempt to conquer Dorne was the most idiotic of them all, he lost at least one dragon egg, he probably left the Realm with empty coffers, gave a VS sword away and legitimized all his bastards, which created a gigantic clusterfuck for everyone.

In fact you could even argue that Aegon IV decisions effectively killed more people than Maegor. All those Blackfyre Rebellions (including the one we'll see now) and possible other conflicts the BF and their allies have had a hand in (RR and tWot5K) must have killed a lot more people than the toll Maegor claimed.

They are a feudal royal dynasty, of course their rule was unjust, that's the basis of the system.

I agree 100% I would even say that for a feudal royal dynasty the Targaryens actually did a pretty good job overal. The long periods of (relative) peace during the reigns of Aegon I, Jaeherys I, Viserys I, Aegon III, Baelor I, Daeron II, Aerys II and so on are pretty rare in real life.

The Targaryens built Westeros as we know it. Before they came there was no capital, and no state for that matter- only a scattered bunch of kingdoms.

These bunch of kingdoms for the most part were strong and stable states, capable of defending themselves and prospering. There was no reason for North, Westerlands, Vale, Reach and Dorne to unite at all.

Nah. All of the stupid things that happened after Robert died, he was indirectly guilty of them. Aegon IV was well aware of the things he did.

Yeah, I can imagine if you gave Robert proof of everything that would happen after he was gone, he would at least make an effort to fix things (get rid of LF and Varys, try to make peace with Stannis and Renly, etc). Aegon IV would only be disappointed that his bastard didn't get the throne after all, but happy he tried.

These bunch of kingdoms for the most part were strong and stable states, capable of defending themselves and prospering. There was no reason for North, Westerlands, Vale, Reach and Dorne to unite at all.

Did you read in TWOIAF that Aegon was approached for help by a king in one of those "strong and stable states?"

Have you ever heard of a king named Harren the Black?

The Targs left the 7 Kingdoms pretty much intact with their own local customs BUT no more Harrens could rise up. At least give them that.

Did you read in TWOIAF that Aegon was approached for help by a king in one of those "strong and stable states?"

Have you ever heard of a king named Harren the Black?

The Targs left the 7 Kingdoms pretty much intact with their own local customs BUT no more Harrens could rise up. At least give them that.

If you reread my post, you will notice that I wrote "for the most part" and didn't mention nor Stormlands, nor Riverlands, nor Iron Isles. Although Stormlands was a pretty strong and stable state. Argilac asked Aegon to deal with Harren in the Riverlands, not to conquer his own home and get his line extinguished.

Archived