Why people defend the Targaryans

yankee211

If only the Night's King had gotten a shot to rule Westeros, I am sure it would been great, lots of rainbows, sunshine and unicorns.

Or maybe Ramsey, can we get Ramsey on the throne?

Funny thing about History in our world and Martins, you always find bad rulers.

Though in the thousands of years that Westeros has been around the only person to build a main road was a Targ. You know when the First men were not slaughtering eachother or the children, they were fighting with the andals and when the Andals were not slaughtering the children and the first men they were fighting with eachother. And when the first men lost they renamed other first men Wildlings and stated fighting them.

I don't know maybe the Targaryens had to many peacful periods. Old Robb won the throne and all he ever thought about was another war and killing any Targaryens that still lived even though he had Targaryen blood.

Now when you look at the current climate and what will happen you sort of seem to need the Targaryens. Bloodraven is doing something about the Others. Jon holds the wall, Dany has the fire power. So naturally a first man stabs the secret Targ who is making peace among the men of the watch and the Wildlings.

Dude you just blew my mind with this comparison!!!! I have never thought of that before and it's wonderful :) Thank you.

Dude you just blew my mind with this comparison!!!! I have never thought of that before and it's wonderful :) Thank you.

You know in the case of Jon he gets refered to as this and that Ice Fire, Frozen Fire, Targstark, Stargaryen, and that is all fine, but you don;t get the Ice and Fire with out the fire and you get the Targ without the Targaryen. While of course it matters who raised him, his Targ half has an important role to play. Are people looking forward to the obvious Lyanna was his mother or is it really Rhaegar was his father? Which is the bigger reveal? Jon's Targ bloodlines have a very important role to play in the battle of ice and fire there is no question to that. Just as Bloodravens first men blood matters, and lets not forget Dany has her own unique bloodlines, Targaryen, there is plenty of that of course, but the blood Blackwood, Dayne, and Martell flows through her, she is the blood of the Dragon, the Blood of the first men, Nymeria, and the Sword of the morning.

They both have the blood of Aerys and Maegor, but also Aegon I the Conqueror, Jaehaerys the Conciliator, Good Queen Alysanne, Rhaenys loved by the small folk, Baelor the Blessed, a strange man but not evil and what he did for Aemon the Dragon Knight and the small folk is not questioned, Daeron I the Young Dragon who Martin compared to Alexander the Great, Daeron II, Aegon V the Unlikely, Duncan Targaryen, Rhaegar Targaryen the Last Dragon, Bloodraven, Aemon of the Watch, Daena the defiant who was not all that different from Lyanna, and of course Daenerys Stormborn the Mother of Dragons, who rebirthed house Targaryen along with herself and her dragons in the great red waste. The Dragons are returning, and not Just Drogon, Viserion, and Rheagal, But Jon and Dany, and perhaps the legendary Vertically challenged Dragon Impgaryen the wise. 3 Dragons who are all very gifted in their own ways. And there is magic in this group isn't there? Powerful magic. The Blood of Old Valyria, and of the First men, of Queen Nymeria and of the Morning. A 14-15 Year old girl who took slavers bay with Wits and Will, daring and 3 baby Dragons. Not adult Dragons, and the dragons only fought once in Astapor, no bigger than dogs.

Isn't there a saying about the gods flipping a coin each time a Targ is born. The sane ones can be absolutely brilliant, the insane ones complete psychopaths.

I guess in Westeros, a 50-50 shot at a great leader is better than the alternative.

And ofcourse, dragon's are pretty cool.

So spoke Jaehaerys.

In reality the number of mad Targaryen's like about seven, three of them were kings and one of them was Baelor. Targaryen madness was a cop-out.

Anyways, what about Daeron the young dragon? Conquered Dorne without dragons. However long he held it was a secondary to such a feat, surpassing Aegon the first in the task.

I personally do not attack the Targaryens as a house, madness and cruelty is everywhere everytime, in my mind the Baratheons are the greatest in the sense they have larger-than-life characters both in asoiaf history and reader-goods but without the Targs they wouldn´t exist so ( of course Durrandon god´s blood helps) :bowdown:

There´s a reason baratheons don´t have POV´s... the reader would get mind-blown with too much badassery

I can't think of a more entertaining house than House Targaryen.

There are a lot of other families I really like or who I am vested in their characters, but no other family's history is as fleshed out or NEARLY as interesting as what Martin did with the Targs. I love just following the family tree and learning the stories for each person. I love following the history of the Iron Throne, how it passed from king to king for all 17 of the Targaryen dynasty. I even love reading the stories about the kings that almost were and think about how the realm might have been different if any one of them ended up on the throne, how every event and decision led to the events of the books as they stand now.

I'd take a family where half of them are batshit crazy, drink wildfire, turn on their own kin, and burn their subjects alive over the other families in Westeros.

I can't think of a more entertaining house than House Targaryen.

There are a lot of other families I really like or who I am vested in their characters, but no other family's history is as fleshed out or NEARLY as interesting as what Martin did with the Targs. I love just following the family tree and learning the stories for each person. I love following the history of the Iron Throne, how it passed from king to king for all 17 of the Targaryen dynasty. I even love reading the stories about the kings that almost were and think about how the realm might have been different if any one of them ended up on the throne, how every event and decision led to the events of the books as they stand now.

I'd take a family where half of them are batshit crazy, drink wildfire, turn on their own kin, and burn their subjects alive over the other families in Westeros.

:agree: If Dany, Jon, and Aegon are the last three Targs left, then they're all quite tame and actually boring compared to their colorful forebears.

The Targaryens are GRRM's Elven-equivalent. Larger than life, the subjects of all the legends, and quasi-otherworldly. Incredible house.

(And for those who have mentioned House Baratheon, while I love them too, they're still just a cadet branch of the Targs -- all living stags have a bit of dragon blood themselves, as does everyone in House Martell.)

:agree: If Dany, Jon, and Aegon are the last three Targs left, then they're all quite tame and actually boring compared to their colorful forebears.

The Targaryens seemed to have taken the mission of repopulate Westeros or something. Like some poster said, they were a horny bunch.

And that's just ONE aspect about them... they were pretty much like 'fuck yeah, I have dragons, I like fire!!'. And people believed them, even after they lost them.

Who cares about him being a commander.

I want to read what happened when he was served his soup cold.

Something very ugly I imagine...the poor cook... Have pity on his soul... unless it was his father's cooking... ;)

Yeah Targaryans suck. Especially Daenerys i find her to be woefully ignorant of the consequences of her actions and of the atrocities her family has committed. Not to mention the fact that her chapters in the book are so unrelentingly boring.

IMO

Strange hearing that from someone with Stargaryan as nickname... :bang:

Welcome to the forum btw...

Something very ugly I imagine...the poor cook... Have pity on his soul... unless it was his father's cooking...

Strange hearing that from someone with Stargaryan as nickname...

Welcome to the forum btw...

The absolute irony of fans who love Jon and hate Targaryens, is fucking priceless.

You know what is kind of funny is that some people talk about how boring Dany's chapters are but they contain a large portion the series foreshadowing, prophecies, action, symbolism, and epic moments. Jon has hardly ever left the Wall and he has not seen much action at all. In fact the show made it a point to give Jon non existing actions scenes, because Jon had nothing else to do. I like his chapters but they are hardly action packed. What is really interesting is that there chapters are parallel to each other, it's Just Dany has all the grandeur and scale and Jon has the more obscure story.

Well, you know, dragons are awesome.

Also lots of Targaryens have been waaay better kings than ol' Robert. As for them being unjust, I think that depended on whether they were good or bad people, not their Targaryen-ness. Like Baelor Breakspear was very just but Aerion Brightflame was really unfair.

It's actually very funny.

Lol, It's like saying;

"I hate Disney, it's the worst company in the world, I wish they would go out of business and just die!!! Oh MTV, Nickelodeon, EPSN, ABC, love those, can't get enough, they are my favorite channels on television you idiot, but for real I hate Disney."

I think that we can separate the Targaryen Dynasty that was from the possible new one Dany/(f)Aegon want to establish. The Targaryen rule itself has become a part of the fabric of the consciousness of Westeros. No one can really imagine how people would think/act if the 7 Kingdoms had never been united. But, as for a new invasion, I'm actually very much against it. Westeros has already been ravaged by the war of the 5 Kings and winter has come so everyone is running out of food (since so many fields were burned and farmers killed). If Dany were to launch an attack on Westeros with her armies, what would be left to rule over? Especially if some of the troops under her care start pillaging and raping? I know the Unsullied can't, but if she gets the Dothraki on her side again (as I think might happen after ADWD) who she can't control, well... The only good Dany can really bring to Westeros, to make the lives of her subject better rather than more miserable, are her dragons to fight the Others.

Archived