Video Games - dragons, lasers and zombies

Lyanna Stark

Continue!

So, from what I understand from the last thread is that Dragon Age: Inquisition is going to be super awesome.

Peterbound said:

Holy shitfuck! I just played through the 6 hour 'demo' (got EA Access), for DA:I, and was fucking blown away.

Great game. Great fucking game. Can't wait until the actual release. There was some slight graphical glitches (shit showing up in the background out of no where, getting stuck between inanimate objects, and some dialog/action boxes getting to close to each other and making my actions goofy), but as a child of the 80's, i'm ok with that shit. I don't expect much in the way of perfection.

Like I said. Great game.

I might have to wait until Christmas myself but it surely looks super tempting! Is it going to be released for consoles and PC at the same time? (I am a console n00b and know nothing of that stuff). It seems they have at least fixed the silliness of reusing the same levels all the time from DA2.

Apparently the Qunari merc is romanceable by both genders I read. I bet lots of people are just waiting to see how that will pan out. :lol:

I've been blasting through WoW: WoD myself during the last four days, so we'll see how that works out in the future. The SO has a bunch of space games lined up too, so the winter is saved.

I caved to pressure from my guild and spent the money I was going to spend on DA:I on WoD... yeah. Pretty dumb. Three hour queues are a good time. Boosted my monk as healer out of curiosity how well it would work and ... it didn't. The only way I was able to survive the mandatory intro experience was because my character had already learned dual spec previously. The overall experience is pretty good - they've come a long way as far as setting a traditional cinematic narrative arc in an MMO. Garrisons seem cool. But I'm not having a great deal of fun with the tension hanging over me where if I log out, I can't come back. Hopefully that clears up soon but I'm on one of the most populous servers ... if history is any guide, the top few will be pretty hammered for a while.

Wasn't aware DA:I was out. On my to-buy list.

It's not out yet, supposedly it will be released tomorrow (18th).

I caved to pressure from my guild and spent the money I was going to spend on DA:I on WoD... yeah. Pretty dumb. Three hour queues are a good time. Boosted my monk as healer out of curiosity how well it would work and ... it didn't. The only way I was able to survive the mandatory intro experience was because my character had already learned dual spec previously. The overall experience is pretty good - they've come a long way as far as setting a traditional cinematic narrative arc in an MMO. Garrisons seem cool. But I'm not having a great deal of fun with the tension hanging over me where if I log out, I can't come back. Hopefully that clears up soon but I'm on one of the most populous servers ... if history is any guide, the top few will be pretty hammered for a while.

Yeah the DCs and the lag have been murderous. For a long time, the SO and I slept as much as we could during evenings and got up early in the morning instead since otherwise logging on was not possible. We're on a populous server as well (full/locked) and the queues have been 4000 strong at times. Didn't help that they capped server population to far lower than previously due to lag and DC issues. Plus garrisons were so borked it would leave you hanging in the air for hours if you tried to fly in there, or HS in there. Just awful. Think the servers have been hotfixed three times since Thursday midnight and I do believe this is the worst xpac in terms of stability I've seen so far. I did miss the MoP launch, but played the Cata one 3 hrs after release and it was pretty smooth.

The content is fun tho apart from that and the max level dungeons are pretty neat. There is one where you fight your way on a moving train which is pretty awesome. No raids are out yet so people are running around exploring and killing elites and testing stuff, which is fun. If you can logon, that is. :) Haven't tried heroics yet, missing 1 ilvl which I hope to get tonight.

I traded in some Amazon credit and bought Assassin's Creed Unity, Master Cheif Collection, and Mario Kart 8.

Is it just me, or do the controls for AC: Unity feel real clunky. I'm impressed by the amount of detail that was put into the game for sure, but it doesn't seem as fluid as Black Flag or even AC3.

I still haven't gotten around to MCC yet. I've read on the interwebz that the matchmaking is buggy, so I'll wait until I finish Unity before jumping into that one.

I've heard that Mario Kart 8 was really fun, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it actually IS really fun. It's also surprisingly challenging. The game starts out with 32 maps! WHAT?! I also bought the DLC which adds an ADDITIONAL 16 maps! If you, for some reason, own a Wii U, you need to check this game out.

Warlords of Draenor is pretty awesome so far. I'm a somewhat casual fan of WoW at the best of times, since I prefer playing PvP, and MMOs are pretty much unbalanced in that respect. But so far, this expansion has been a blast. Just exploring around and finding random events and public quests is fun, and the Garrison is a blast. I have a gladiator's sanctum set up, and I am gonna start world PvPing as soon as I can, so that I can get started on them Nemesis quests. I want that "The Butcher" title :D

Elite: Dangerous will no longer support offline singleplayer as originally promised during the Kickstarter campaign

Probably a deal breaker for a lot of people. Always online never bothered me that much personally. It's not ideal obviously, but my internet is reliable enough that it isn't really an issue. Sucks for anyone with unreliable internet or inconsistent access though.

Every time a new X-Pack comes out, I'm always tempted to fire up my dormant WoW account, but knowing that I have zero time to invest in playing always bums me out.

Another big frustration is that I didn't take advantage of the FigurePrint when I was selected to order one in the lottery years ago. Sure; I can't play now, but I would love to have a mini statue of my dwarf warrior decked out in his T2 armor with his Thunderfury. :crying:

Picking up DA:I tomorrow. Pretty pumped.

Elite: Dangerous will no longer support offline singleplayer as originally promised during the Kickstarter campaign

Probably a deal breaker for a lot of people. Always online never bothered me that much personally. It's not ideal obviously, but my internet is reliable enough that it isn't really an issue. Sucks for anyone with unreliable internet or inconsistent access though.

Not a dealbreaker for me, as the single-player mode is still included and working. It's just that you need to have the game connected to the internet to work.

I am, however, concerned about Frontier promising this as a Day One feature and leaving it to 29 days before release before telling people it wouldn't be in. A lot of people backed the game on Kickstarter only after this feature was added in.

Wert: While that's a bummer, a Kickstarter ain't a preorder, even if the two are frequently conflated. Sucks it won't be in, but that's KS life.

One of many reasons that I never give to Kickstarters. Fortunately, my internet connection is stable enough these days that always online isn't a problem. Although I want to know more about Elite Dangerous, from people actually playing it, before I decide whether to get it.

Have you tried any Ashran pvp yet Cromh? I was considering it to get some pvp pieces in slots I can't get drops since the stats are more general now.

I wish I was 100 yet, but alas I am not. From what I hear, Ashran is bugged pretty hard on a lot of servers, and imbalanced as well (30:1 in favor of one side or the other), but on those servers where it does work and the sides aren't a 100-man zerg versus five newbies and a bot, I hear it is incredibly fun. Like 24/7 oldschool Alterac Valley. I'm looking forward to it when I ding 100 though.

I've been playing The Witcher 2 the past couple weeks, and it has reminded me just how much I despise weight restrictions in the inventory. And I feel that way about all RPGs. The game doesn't need to be that realistic, does it?

Probably was talked about when it came out a few years back, but I just started playing FTL. Great little game.

That is a fantastic (infuriating) game. I put so many hours into it when it first came out. Then when they released the free dlc for it, I put many many more hours into it.

Got an email from Bungie today talking about what to do now that I've hit level 20 on Destiny. (I really haven't played in the last few weeks.) They also let me know that I had a legendary engram at the Postmaster.

I logged in briefly at lunch (took me an hour to download an update though :( ) and found that I had a blue quality rocket launcher and a Legendary Auto Rifle named Doctor Nope waiting for me.

Like it, but DA:I is tomorrow... so don't know when I'll get on and play some more.

One of many reasons that I never give to Kickstarters. Fortunately, my internet connection is stable enough these days that always online isn't a problem. Although I want to know more about Elite Dangerous, from people actually playing it, before I decide whether to get it.

I've already pre-ordered for release day, so I'll let you know after the 16th. However, there are many hundreds of blogs and YouTube videos out there of the alpha and recent beta builds if you want more info now.

The summary of things so far is that it's excellent at the moment, but there are concerns over content and the game's longevity. If you played the older Elite games (this is the fourth) then you're already pretty much set to go, as it's like them but just a lot better. The most impressive thing is that I've seen a lot of hardcore, old-skool space sim fans, people who've been around since the days of X-Wing, Wing Commander and even the original Elite, saying it's got the best flight model they've ever seen in a space game, hitting a sweet spot between arcade flight controls and proper Newtonian physics that no game has reached before. That by itself is highly encouraging. There's also the fact you can do this (the docking maneuver at 7 minutes in is completely insane).

Of course, now it's online only, the question is if there'll be a Day One server meltdown.

Archived