Video Games - dragons, lasers and zombies

Lyanna Stark

So I downloaded the free xbox Destiny demo the other day. Figured I give it a shot before commiting to the real thing. After skimming through the last few VG threads I haven't seen much discussion about it since late September, so I'm curious to hear what everyone has to say about it now that its been out for a few months. Has it held anyone's interest? Has there been any new content or fixes that have changed or added to the exerience? Or is there any word about upcoming expansions or dlc?

Expansion packs are due in December and January. As for the game itself, it got old quickly for me. It felt really light when it came to content - I was done mostly everything in a week or so. I ended up trading it in for FC4, and also got Dragon Age. So I should be good game-wise until 343i cleans up the MCC mess.

The only thing I liked about Destiny was the competitive multiplayer, which was fun as hell - as long as I had a friend playing with me.

Massive brand-new turn-based WH40K strategy game announced. And then released on the same day.

This is a hardcore, old-skool game from the people who made Panzer Corps without any flashy 3D graphics but with an absolute metric ton of units, strategies and locations. Awesome.

(okay, not quite announced and released on the same day, but still a pretty fast turn-around)

Placed an order for a GTX970. The price is tolerable provided it doesn't die on me. I haven't had any computer hardware failures other than mice yet, so hopefully that trend continues.

Steam sales:

Got Civ V on sale at $12. Had a good impression of it when I tried it once previously.

Natural Selection 2 + skins and Natural Selection 2 Combat are bundled for 90% off if anyone is interested.

I guess this is a last ditch attempt to get Natural Selection 2 Combat off the ground. I tried to get some interest for it going previously and thankfully nobody was interested as it flopped really badly. Last I heard, it was averaging 20 players. For a multiplayer only game, that's pathetic.

I got the game with the bundle above since its basically half price, but I'm prepared to write off my investment without playing a minute. I can just treat the game as a freebie that came with the skinpacks.

I also got Bejeweled 3. It was only 50% off, but its a relatively inexpensive game to begin with anyway.

I also got Bejeweled 3. It was only 50% off, but its a relatively inexpensive game to begin with anyway.

You should get Origin and check it about once a week. They release "On the house" games (ie - free games) every few weeks or something. Bejewelled 3 was one of them.

Your comment just made me think of that. In case anyone didn't know.

You should get Origin and check it about once a week. They release "On the house" games (ie - free games) every few weeks or something. Bejewelled 3 was one of them.

It's actually still available for free at the moment.

Just in case anybody else really, really wants to play Bejewelled but is unwilling to pay 5 bucks for it (disclaimer: I have actually never played it, it could be a really good game for all I know...).

Incidentally, Wolfenstein: The New Order is one of the best single-player FPSs of the last few years, and is available on a steam sale. If you're at all interested in shooters, you should definitely get it at that price. The game is amazing.

There's zero chance DA:Inquisition goes on even a 5-10% sale, isn't there?

Yeah I was hoping for more. Isn't there usually a sale the week between Christmas and New Years too?

Yeah, this is just a quick sale for the Black Friday weekend. They did it last year, and possibly the couple of previous years as well.

Evil Within at 66% 1 month and a half after release. That one must have had seriously disappointing sales, whatever good or bad it was - or possibly marketing had insane sales expectations.

GOG, Gamersgate, Paradox store, GMG and other places have sales as well, by the way.

Your comment just made me think of that. In case anyone didn't know.

Darn. I didn't think anything was on Origin other than EA exclusive titles.

It's actually still available for free at the moment.

Just in case anybody else really, really wants to play Bejewelled but is unwilling to pay 5 bucks for it (disclaimer: I have actually never played it, it could be a really good game for all I know...).

It's a good timeless game. For what its worth, I think that games like Tetris and Minesweeper are good games. None are games that I'd pay more than a couple of dollars for though.

Sleeping Dogs is well worth it for £6, and The Banner Saga definitely 100% for £3. Go and get that now, it's a really wonderfully different and beautiful-looking turn-based strategy game with BSG, Malazan and Oregon Trail leanings (plus steampunk robots and giant Karsa Orlong Vikings). Should definitely have done a lot better than it did.

AssCreed Black Flag was vaguely tempting for a tenner, but I've still to play the earlier games in the series so held fire.

South Park: The Stick of Truth is £8 on Amazon for the Steam code for the uncensored version, which you actually can't buy on Steam itself, plus it includes all the DLC. Have definitely gone for that.

Great, I was hoping Beyond Earth's price would drop more, instead it went up. I guess I will have to wait for the Christmas sale to get it.

Generally if something is a daily deal it won't be cheaper later.

So Telltale have tweeted release dates for the first episode(ugh), is anybody actually excited for this?

Hard to say. I'm intrigued because it's AGoT, but at the same time I've played the Walking Dead game (for free, thankfully) by the same developer and I am not into that kind of game at all. I'll wait until it's on sale before I buy it.

In other news, Dragon Age: Inquisition is really awesome.

Archived