Can we come up with a better name than "Planetos"?

Eddwyn Lannistark

I gather that "Planetos" is in no way an official name for the world of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. That fans made it up.

And I get that it's poking fun at GRRM's rather lazy nomenclature when it comes to continents: Westeros = west, Essos = east, Sothoryos = south, etc.

There's something about the word "planet" in any fantasy/medieval-ish setting that seems anachronistic or just off.

Officially, what do we have?

The Known World Of A Song Of Ice And Fire.

OK, how about K.w.o.a.s.o.i.a.f.? C'mon, you just pronounce it "Quo-as-oy-aff". Yeesh, sounds like I'm lisping a dinosaur's name.

Alright, forget that one. How about ... A Song Of Ice And Fire's Overall Setting? Asoiafos? "Ah-Soy-Aff-Oss" And the people who inhabit any of its continents and islands and other places get referred to as Asoiafosi?

Lemme try it out.

"OK, hon, for the next hour or so I'll be reading. Going to journey to Asoiafos for a bit. Come get me when the pizza's here."

Could work.

Any other suggestions? Planetos sucks, IMHO.

Yep, Planetos seems pretty lame and not fit for a medieval setting where people have never sailed west from Westeros and returned.

I don't know, maybe just "world" or "world of Ice and Fire"? Does it have to have a real name? I mostly see "Planetos" used in wiki and blogs, and "world of Ice and Fire" or some other simple replacement would work fine for their purposes. It makes my teeth cringe a little when I see "Planetos."

The world is referred to several times in the books as Earth. To avoid confusion, you used to be able to call it The World of Ice and Fire. Then the worldbook came out and I don't know what to call it. I liked the idea Eros, but that never caught on.

Planetos is horrid, almost as bad as GRRTH.

The world is referred to several times in the books as Earth. To avoid confusion, you used to be able to call it The World of Ice and Fire. Then the worldbook came out and I don't know what to call it. I liked the idea Eros, but that never caught on.

Planetos is horrid, almost as bad as GRRTH.

Eros is perfect. Start a thread to call the banners. We have found... the perfect name!

Archived