The Shield (Spoilers abound)

Mark Antony

Other friends that know of my passionate love affair with The Shield have recommended SoA as well - but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger and watch it. I have also heard that Justified is a great and comparable show, and I think I'm more inclined to give that a try first if only for Timothy Olyphant and of course, Walton Goggins.

The Shield is a top 5 show for me, and I was excited when SoA came on because I was hoping, but I was massively disappointed. I think I made it 5-7. Terriers and Justified did satisfy that itch. I'm still sore that Terriers only got one season - it's a perfect season though.

One complaint I have with this show so far is the music choices. I know not every show has their own Steven Van Zandt to help with song choices, but I'm not liking the music so far. It's a minor nitpick though.

I agree

Though I admit I did enjoy kid rock at the end of the pilot :D

One complaint I have with this show so far is the music choices. I know not every show has their own Steven Van Zandt to help with song choices, but I'm not liking the music so far. It's a minor nitpick though.

I spoke to soon. Just saw an episode with a Flogging Molly song in it.:-)

The Shield is a top 5 show for me, and I was excited when SoA came on because I was hoping, but I was massively disappointed. I think I made it 5-7. Terriers and Justified did satisfy that itch. I'm still sore that Terriers only got one season - it's a perfect season though.

Yeah Terriers and Justified are the way to go. Terriers' first season as a standalone stills feels pretty perfect for cable tv even though I only watched it the once.

Dutch is a very underrated character. Probably my favorite and one of the reasons The Shield was so good was that they made the side characters as good as the main characters at times. His brilliant detective work and weirdness went great together

Not as weird as some of the shit the writers made Dutch do. WTF was all that with the cat?

I thought the cat was a good character moment, showing how Dutch's fascination with getting into the minds of serial killers can lead him to some very dark places, but in the end that's as far as he goes - he is still one of the good guys. I read that Sutter wanted a scene in the last episode showing Dutch walking into the basement of his house where he has a dungeon full of women being tortured. Fortunately Ryan shot this down, as it would have been a heinous betrayal of one of the best characters on the show. From what a lot of people have told me, one of the reasons SOA doesn't measure up to the Shield are things like this where Sutter's unrestrained id just runs wild and there is no one keeping him in check.

I read that Sutter wanted a scene in the last episode showing Dutch walking into the basement of his house where he has a dungeon full of women being tortured. Fortunately Ryan shot this down, as it would have been a heinous betrayal of one of the best characters on the show.

I'm so amused by that idea that I kind of wish they had done that instead. Though you're right, it wouldn't have made any sense.

I'm so amused by that idea that I kind of wish they had done that instead. Though you're right, it wouldn't have made any sense.

I don't think they could have done it. There was rumor of a Dutch spin-off for a while. On an unrelated note, I feel like Shane gets too much grief if I knew how to spoiler tag I'd go into detail.

Archived