What was Ilyn Payne like?

Sir Bronn

Hard to say. He's one of those characters where short of getting a POV from his perspective, we're just not gonna know. He was loyal to the Lannisters to a fault pretty much. To the point of mouthing off that Tywin was running things more than Aerys. But also suggested to Jaime that he should off Cersei. Then again Jaime's probably the first person to actually treat him halfway like a person in awhile. So who knows?

I can imagine Ilyn Payne as arrogant and confident before his tongue got cut off, but loyal to a fault.

Otherwise, we don't know much more than we've been given. He's obviously an an excellent swordsman, to be ex-Captain of the Guards and King's Justice.

I can see Ilyn's loyalty shift from the father (Tywin) to the son (Jaime) now that the latter is the only one who's treated him like a person for a long time.

Really the only 'evil' thing you can attribute to him is beheading Ned. Not really his fault... he's the king's headman and the king ordered his death, so what else was he supposed to do? I'm not even sure he'd kill all the ladies during the battle of the Blackwater. Maybe just Cersei. But that is just speculation, based on the fact he suggested to Jaime to kill her.

I imagine he was a evil douche bag but only cause he worked Tywin for a long period of time. I imagine Ilyn was a silent (pun intended) participant in the annihilation of the Castemeres and the Reynes, the raping of Tysha and all the other vicious asshole stuff his master was up too.

You never hear of any honorable person working for Tywin. (Possible exception Kevan)

Examples

Amory, Gregor, Sandor, Vargo, Pycelle, Janos, Bowen, Late Walder, Roose.

None of these are good people.

You'd think Tyrion would've given Ilyn a dirty look or two during his time in KL if he participated in the gangrape of Tysha. Also Addam Marbrand didn't seem like a bad fellow and he worked for the Lannisters.

I dont remember Tyrion ever mentioning Ilyn at all. He does mention though that all of his father's guards were participants and Ilyn was captain of the guards.

Good point on Addam but overwhelmingly the majority of Tywins men are bad people.

Archived