Stoneheart's role

TGO

Jaime already told her that the girl sent to the North is fake.

Would Jaime ever say that to anyone else? If it was the only way he had to stay alive, he would. That would be good information for the Vale to have, by the testimony of the Kingslayer himself.

Brienne killing Stoneheart, just like Jaime killed the Mad King: and then the Brotherhood heads to the Vale. That could work.

There has to be something key she does plotwise otherwise there was no point in bringing her back. I think her main purpose will be to exact sweet and bloody revenge on the Freys. It would be nice if her path crossed with Sansa or Arya but I wouldn't expect a lovey-dovey reunion. LS's entire focus is revenge.

I’ve noticed that no other posters ever seem to agree with me, but this is why I think Jaime is a dead man:

1. Jaime’s arc is more or less complete. He went from a cynical, sister-screwing, child-murdering, Ned Stark-hating, knight to an oath-keeping, Brienne-inspiring, rape-victim avenging, justice-dispensing, peace-making, Cersei-disavowing, Frey-slapping knight we can all love. True there is more resolution that could take place – but the same could be said of Ned or Robb.
  2. Jaime is definitely not the valquonar. Jaime doesn’t hate Cersei – not enough to kill her – and why would he? She is his sister and former lover, not his arch enemy. There is no real prophetic or story reason to keep him alive. He has been redeemed – which means like Ned, he has outlived his usefulness in the story. The only exception could be one of his dreams – which the things inside didn’t necessarily come true, but dreams don’t really have to come true.
  3. Because of Jaime’s redemption, him getting killed by Lady Stoneheart or one of her soldiers is a tragedy. This is what ASOIAF is all about – the tragedy of people not listening to each other – not stopping to consider another person’s POV. Stoneheart won’t even consider letting Jaime live – she’s too guided by revenge. The last words she ever heard as Catelyn were “Jamie Lannister sends his regards” – in her mind, Robb is now sending him his. Even though the tragedy is that Jaime was in no way responsible for Robb’s death. But to LSH, all Lannisters are complicit. His death will show the ridiculousness of blood vengeance.
  4. Even murdered, Jaime’s character still has meaning – in fact more so. Case in point, Ned, Robb, and Catelyn. Do their characters mean any less to you since they are dead – or rather more? I would argue for the latter. His good acts will seem all the more good in recollection.

One more thought (my overall view of the series) – this series doesn’t really have a happy ending. Everyone (with a few exceptions) is going to die or be relegated powerless or whatnot. There is no way the story ends with Jon and Dany flying off into the sunset making out atop Drogon. This story is a tragedy and it will be one to make the Dance of Dragons seem tame.

I’ve noticed that no other posters ever seem to agree with me, but this is why I think Jaime is a dead man:

1. Jaime’s arc is more or less complete. He went from a cynical, sister-screwing, child-murdering, Ned Stark-hating, knight to an oath-keeping, Brienne-inspiring, rape-victim avenging, justice-dispensing, peace-making, Cersei-disavowing, Frey-slapping knight we can all love. True there is more resolution that could take place – but the same could be said of Ned or Robb.

2. Jaime is definitely not the valquonar. Jaime doesn’t hate Cersei – not enough to kill her – and why would he? She is his sister and former lover, not his arch enemy. There is no real prophetic or story reason to keep him alive. He has been redeemed – which means like Ned, he has outlived his usefulness in the story. The only exception could be one of his dreams – which the things inside didn’t necessarily come true, but dreams don’t really have to come true.

Because of Jaime’s redemption, him getting killed by Lady Stoneheart or one of her soldiers is a tragedy. This is what ASOIAF is all about – the tragedy of people not listening to each other – not stopping to consider another person’s POV. Stoneheart won’t even consider letting Jaime live – she’s too guided by revenge. The last words she ever heard as Catelyn were “Jamie Lannister sends his regards” – in her mind, Robb is now sending him his. Even though the tragedy is that Jaime was in no way responsible for Robb’s death. But to LSH, all Lannisters are complicit. His death will show the ridiculousness of blood vengeance.

Even murdered, Jaime’s character still has meaning – in fact more so. Case in point, Ned, Robb, and Catelyn. Do their characters mean any less to you since they are dead – or rather more? I would argue for the latter. His good acts will seem all the more good in recollection.

One more thought (my overall view of the series) – this series doesn’t really have a happy ending. Everyone (with a few exceptions) is going to die or be relegated powerless or whatnot. There is no way the story ends with Jon and Dany flying off into the sunset making out atop Drogon. This story is a tragedy and it will be one to make the Dance of Dragons seem tame.

:bowdown:

very well put

You know that comment GRRM's editor made about an upcoming Sansa chapter that would be very controversial?

I think Sansa will marry Walder Frey. Or be married off to him, really. Tons or poetic justice can be had right there, if Stoneheart shows up. and the shock vallue would be immense.

Really, how is that possible since LF has plans with her. But if that does happens, it would resolve the riverlands storyline.

3. Because of Jaime’s redemption, him getting killed by Lady Stoneheart or one of her soldiers is a tragedy. This is what ASOIAF is all about – the tragedy of people not listening to each other – not stopping to consider another person’s POV. Stoneheart won’t even consider letting Jaime live – she’s too guided by revenge. The last words she ever heard as Catelyn were “Jamie Lannister sends his regards” – in her mind, Robb is now sending him his. Even though the tragedy is that Jaime was in no way responsible for Robb’s death. But to LSH, all Lannisters are complicit. His death will show the ridiculousness of blood vengeance.
  4. Even murdered, Jaime’s character still has meaning – in fact more so. Case in point, Ned, Robb, and Catelyn. Do their characters mean any less to you since they are dead – or rather more? I would argue for the latter. His good acts will seem all the more good in recollection.

Jaime's dream in ASOS foreshadowed Bear pit, Oathkeeper and some other things. Things, that didn't happen in Jaime's storyline.Yet.

Jaime's and Cersei's storylines are closely connected. There no way Jaime just left, whining about Lancel, Osmund Kettleblack and Moonboy all the time, and died in his first chapter in TWOW. Tyrion's final words to him, Lancel's confessions - it's all leading somewhere.

Archived