The Mayonnaise War

Fragile Bird

Unilever has blasted the big guns to start a war against a small start-up that dares to make a eggless mayonnaise. It seems little Hampton Creek has been taking a bite out of traditional mayonnaise product sales with their vegan mayo product.

The fight turns on the FDA's 1957 definition of mayonnaise, which says it must contain eggs and a certain percentage of oil.

Unilever’s claim is that Hampton Creek is pushing a product that is acting like it is mayonnaise but doesn’t meet the definition. The FDA includes a very nuanced description of mayonnaiseas something that contains egg yolks and oil. Kraft Foods Miracle Whip, which contains no eggs and less than 65 percent oil, does not meet the definition, either. It’s technically labled a salad dressing, even though it’s used as a mayonnaise spread. The $60 billion giant food corporation contends that while Hampton Creek doesn’t say it is a mayonnaise, the “Just Mayo” label also shouldn’t be allowed.

“Under federal regulations, common dictionary definitions and as consumers understand it, “mayonnaise” or “mayo” is a product that contains eggs. That ingredient does not exist in Just Mayo,” states the suit.

The lawsuit’s main concern seems to be loss of revenue to Hampton Creek. It flatly states that, “Just Mayo already is stealing market share from Hellmann’s,” and that, “Unilever will continue to suffer irreparable harm in the marketplace.” This is if something is not done to stop Hampton Creek from labeling their product with the word “mayo,” according to Unilever.

Hampton Creek has experienced an insane amount of growth over the last nine months. Costco, Walmart, Target, Dollar Tree and a slew of other retail locations have added the “Just Mayo” products to their shelves in thousands of locations across the U.S.

Hampton Creek Plans to Counter-Sue Unilever

The folks at Hampton Creek, and it's supporters, say the definition should be changed to reflect the times.

Any thoughts about this food fight, this food item, or on the parties involved?

If I make a bullshit product that has no resemblance or anything in common with mayo, call it mayo, but it doesn't sell, would they come after me? Probably not.

Their biggest concern is losing money, however small the sum currently. It's basically a preemptive strike to try and destroy this small company before it can do some serious damage.

Just another huge corporation decrying essentially the free market. They prefer to monopolize industries.

If Hampton Creek is indeed taking market share from Helman's, obviously, there was a need in the market for their product. I think they should be able to continue to sell their product, however, their label, showing the silhouette of an egg could be potentially misleading, as the label does not clearly state it is egg free or vegan, until you read the "benefits of just mayo" on the side.

I think their label is clever, with the egg that doesn't have a yolk or a chick in it, just a sprout. I remember seeing the product in the store and thinking, sprouts from eggs? and when I saw it was vegan, admired the cleverness of the drawing. It's funny to me that Unilever points the finger at that and say, Look! An egg, obviously misleading! Totally incapable of being imaginative or recognizing imagination at work.

I'm having eggs for breakfast, and there were no sprouts in the shells. :p

Does the Champagne thread apply here?

Hmmmmm....it doesn't seem so. Champagne was created in a specific part of France, like Parma ham was created in a specific area of Italy, and so they were protected. Pretty hard to protect mixing an egg yolk with oil and a bit of vinegar.

[quote[sources place the origin of mayonnaise as being the town of Mahón in Menorca, Spain, from where it was taken to France after Armand de Vignerot du Plessis's victory over the British at the city's port in 1756. According to this version, the sauce was originally known as salsa mahonesa in Spanish and maonesa (later maionesa) in Catalan (as it is still known in Menorca), later becoming mayonnaise as it was popularized by the French.[7]

The Larousse Gastronomique suggests: "Mayonnaise, in our view, is a popular corruption of moyeunaise, derived from the very old French word moyeu, which means yolk of egg."[8] The sauce may have been christened mayennaise after Charles de Lorraine, duke of Mayenne, because he took the time to finish his meal of chicken with cold sauce before being defeated in the Battle of Arques.[9]

Nineteenth-century culinary writer Pierre Lacam suggested that in 1459, a London woman named Annamarie Turcauht stumbled upon this condiment after trying to create a custard of some sort.[10]

According to Trutter et al.: "It is highly probable that wherever olive oil existed, a simple preparation of oil and egg came about — particularly in the Mediterranean region, where aioli (oil and garlic) is made."[7]

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term mayonnaise was in use in English as early as 1823 in the journal of Lady Blessington.

Yeah. I'm gonna say that Unilever are evil and using the wrong reasons, but it simply isn't mayonnaise and shouldn't be marketed as such. Call it "I can't believe its not Mayo!" if they want, just don't call it something that its not. Words have definitions.

Unilever is protecting the rights of mayo? I'm not buying it. The people purchasing this product know it isn't mayo. And if they felt misled they wouldn't purchase it again and the product would fall by the wayside or continue to be insignificant.

Also, it's not like Hellmanns owns the copyright or trademark to mayo or mayonnaise.

This is strictly about destroying the competition.

Archived