Tea kettles, electric gizmos, and food fights

Tears of Lys

On what planet?

In principle in any planet that realizes recipes that measure particulate solids in volume are inherently inaccurate.

In practice, people who weigh their coffee beans and water (let alone those who roast their beans) are a wee bit too obsessed in my opinion.

Just buying ground coffee works good enough.

In principle in any planet that realizes recipes that measure particulate solids in volume are inherently inaccurate.

In practice, people who weigh their coffee beans and water (let alone those who roast their beans) are a wee bit too obsessed in my opinion.

It's like planning ahead for meals. When I care enough to bring in my own coffee, I pre-dose little bags to bring with me to work, along with my Aeropress. I do eyeball the amount of water, but since it's always in the same cylinder, I know pretty reasonably how much to put in to be the amount I need.

... Not so much. I don't quibble much over brewing techniques, but the one thing you can do to make the most difference in the quality of your cup of cofffee is to grind it fresh just before brewing. After that, everything else is negotiable.

And in ounces at that!

Our hotel room for MDF is going to look like a miniature illicit drug lab, with all the glass beakers, trays, sacks of Colombian produce, and little digital drug dealer scale

Metric weight. Grams, my friend! We will bring coffee from my favorite roaster in Portland.

The coffee will flow dark and hot!

... Not so much. I don't quibble much over brewing techniques, but the one thing you can do to make the most difference in the quality of your cup of cofffee is to grind it fresh just before brewing. After that, everything else is negotiable.

Perhaps for a great cup. I tend to settle for a good one.

I'm with DG here, buy whole bean, grind as needed. When I go to someone's house for the first I can always tell their quality as a human being by whether or not they have a grinder near their coffee maker.

I imagine he meant what he said. It may also be considered essential by some, as in necessary, but it is also trivial, as in not requiring much effort. Assuming you have a grinder, that is. Even a hand grinder or a dedicated spice grinder will do.

Of course, if you can't/won't/don't, you can still have fine coffee, but it does make a different type of brew. http://www.coffeeconfidential.org/grinding/ground-coffee/

I imagine he meant what he said. It may also be considered essential by some, as in necessary, but it is also trivial, as in not requiring much effort. Assuming you have a grinder, that is. Even a hand grinder or a dedicated spice grinder will do.

Of course, if you can't/won't/don't, you can still have fine coffee, but it does make a different type of brew. http://www.coffeeconfidential.org/grinding/ground-coffee/

That.

I can kind of understand why Americans might not use electric kettles for heating their water for tea/coffee. The lower voltage of American mains electricity means that boiling water in a kettle takes twice as long as it would in the UK. It's really frustrating trying to get a pot of tea ready and having to wait forever for the water to boil :(.

ST

Archived