Is it implausible to believe that the Others built the Wall?

David C. Hunter

Ice is not important. What matters is blood. The Wall was empowered with serious blood magic. Maegor killed all the contrustion workers that built the Red Keep. Perhaps he was not the only one. Perhaps all those giants, CotF and humans that built the Wall sacrificed themselves to lay the protection spell against the Others. Perhaps the 79-sentinels are supposed to give us this idea.

I agree with most of this. The wall is at least partly magical in nature - I think that's a given. If there's one lesson that gets hammered home again and again it's how magic is dangerous, and always comes with a cost (hence the term blood-magic). Someone must have paid the price for a structure as large as the Wall.

I'm not sure I'd ascribe Maegor's actions any particularly magical motivation (he seems to have been just paranoid, not that the two are mutually exclusive).

I fail to see what motivation the Others could have had for building the wall - so while their association with ice makes it fitting enough that they could have played an active role in its construction, I think we'll need more to go on to move from "not impossible" to "plausible".

For all we know, there could be misunderstandings both ways. The group behind the shenanigans at Craster's in the series could be a band of Other outlaws, or otherwise acting against the laws/morals of their society. As for raising corpses to fight humans, I don't think they see it any differently than how humans chop down trees to make their weapons or fire. Kill a living creature, use its corpse to kill more living creatures. If you regard plant life as equal to animal life (and it may very well be that the Others do), humans are extremely bloodthirsty.

Plants aren't sentient living creatures. Plants can't feel the horror as a mom watches her beloved children rip the throat out of their father. It's already been said that the zombies remember. Humans don't enslave plants and force them to watch themselves killing their former loved ones, probably screaming inside in silent horror at the atrocities that they're being forced to commit.

Face it. Everything we've seen the Others do is an evil act against humanity. GRRM can attempt to make them not evil but it's going to come across as ridiculous.

I think it's possible afterall not all humans can get north of the wall through the Nightfort, only the NW members saying their oath. And Coldhands, an ancient NW's member knows about it.

I would find it odd that a wall, built with magic to stop the Others from ever passing it, would be built by the Others.

I think the OP is basing this theory off the premise that the Wall was built to stop humans not vice versa, and perhaps it's original purpose got lost over time.

Is there any evidence that the Others can manipulate ice like that? Also, again, why would they want to? Who are they building the Wall against?

1) Just because they take Crasters children doesn't mean they can't/don't father their own children.

2) They only take boys from CRASTER. Who knows how many other people they take from/steal from. Maybe they get their girls elsewhere.

3) Just because we aren't aware of any names for the land doesn't mean they don't have names for their land, and even if they don't you don't have to name land to hold it. And where does it say they're nomadic?

To be fair, it seems a pretty fair assumption that the race that steals your babies and indiscriminately slaughters your people before raising them up as zombie soldier slaves are evil. Don't really need records for that.

lack of evidence isnt verification, or dissolution of anything. there are no pov's there. presented openly, they are in fact following the basic tennents of the oath. in black and white, it's followed, via loophole, but followed, the "doesnt mean" is redundant at this point and further pressed due tot he "lack of evidence" ideal. we're both right and wrong in this until another book is released, but i stand by my theory that theyre following the basic laws of the oath. whether or not the Watch inherited the oath after His exile and made it their own is up for grabs, we wouldnt know anyway being that they specifically, destroyed, all evidence on purpose. All you have to go on, is anything from 14th Lord Commander (and whatever HE says), onward. Im merely opening my eyes to other possibilities.

They steal babies, right? However, the parents of those babies are still alive and unharmed so long as they pay blood tribute, correct? This bolsters Other numbers, and as we know blood sacrifices (or sacrificing your baby as blood tribute) may or may not power magic. Perhaps it's the tribute, that empowers and keeps the wall active. Just because Bran put some bricks and built a few forts on a huge chunk of ice doesnt necessarily mean he cant take the entire credit for an element that they can manipulate.

I would further theorize, as i mentioned in another thread, that "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell," is among the same type of blood tribute. Perhaps the reason why there must ALWAYS be one there, is because that's their tribute (they ARE descended from First Men), keeping one there, not for security purposes, but kind of like a Ward. Perhaps per the agreement, pact, or what have you, a Stark must remain there. And now that there isn't presently, the weather's getting a bit harsher up there, isn't it? Would it be safe to safe a flurry or two has been accumilating since there hasn't been one?

The debate for lack of evidence doesn't prevent anyone from throwing out a theory whether or not you agree or disagree with it. There always will be lack of evidence, it's the basis for theorizing. I could put up the same banter on my end, there is lack of evidence to prove im actually wrong. Has any of what I said been disproven??

Who's to say there's only one Wall? It might be that there's a different one bordering the Lands of Always Winter, and that the Haunted Forest in between was meant to be some sort of DMZ. The Others might have built the Wall, and the humans manned it to ensure that nobody went beyond it (from the south). A pact that went perfectly well for 13 generations of Lord Commanders, after which the Night's Watch started guarding it against attacks from the north instead, believing that the threat to their existence lay there. However, the terms of the pact were still fulfilled - no humans but the Night's Watch ever went north of the wall in an organized fashion - so the Others kept quiet.

But then some Others ventured into the Forest for some reason, killing a few Wildlings (with or without provocation, and with or without the consent of the Others' society at large). The Wildlings, not having any clue about any pact, took it as threat and assembled an army, began looting graves for ancient weapons and marched into the Frostfangs. This was seen by the Others as an act of aggression by Man, and a serious breach of the DMZ, leading to them sending an army to push all Men back south of the Wall. The Others wouldn't necessarily differ between humans living north or south of the Wall, any more than we'd be able to tell Others apart. Free Folk or Night's Watch, it's all humans to them, part of the same aggressive party that violates the peace in the Haunted Forest. Now the Men are mostly pushed back where they belong, apart from a small group that went to Hardhome (where devastating fire weapons were once unleashed - surely they must be looking for this weapon somehow), which warrants a small clean-up operation. It might be that the Others will have achieved whatever they wanted once the North is empty of humans - that is, if the humans don't escalate things with their misunderstandings.

For all we know, there could be misunderstandings both ways. The group behind the shenanigans at Craster's in the series could be a band of Other outlaws, or otherwise acting against the laws/morals of their society. As for raising corpses to fight humans, I don't think they see it any differently than how humans chop down trees to make their weapons or fire. Kill a living creature, use its corpse to kill more living creatures. If you regard plant life as equal to animal life (and it may very well be that the Others do), humans are extremely bloodthirsty.

The debate of two walls stems from the actual words of the night's watch's oath and their wording: "I am the watcher on the walls." The existence of a second wall WOULD confirm that the wall was in fact constructed, cast, whatever, by The Others. If there were to be a second wall, it would exist in the shadowlands int he heart of darkness/heart of winter. This ties in with Quaithe's suggestion to Danaerys, when she exclaims "to go north, you must travel south, to go west you must first go east." Geographically, if Danaerys were to go southeast enough, she'd travel throught he shadowlands of asshai, throught he heart of darkness. On the map, and since planetos is round, if you go southeast enough you end up on the northwest section of planetos, or, The Land Of Always Winter, beyond-the-wall, and the heart of winter. One would suggest the Heart Of Darkness, and Heart of Winter are one in the same. If ANYTHING, this would be how Danaerys and her dragons SOMEHOW make it to the wall, then southward toward king's landing through Winterfell.

People, if you take Fomas into consideration from TWOIAF, The Others were nothing more than a tribe of First Men that branched off northward. Then the Andals came. Slaughtered First Men with Iron against their bronze, so much so (at least from what I've perceived) that a group of First Men sided with them to prevent any more bloodshed. They knelt to the Andals. These became the northern houses just south of the wall. The First Men that didn't kneel to the Andals remained north, or, The Wildlings. Chronologically, then the Wall was erected.

My thoughts:

One could theorize it was to keep the Andals and the FIrst Men that sided with them, out. There was an agreement. Perhaps a blood tribute, I would theorize to keep the wall up and running. However, The Andals/First Men south of the wall would win it, and push them upward with their iron weapons/armor. The children of the forest, made an agreement with them, and gave them obsidian daggers to fight The Others. in exchange, theyd make the gate and empower the wall further with a magic that repels all but the watch. Ah, but therein lies my next question. There is no magic blocking them, is there. Just the structure as a physical wall itself: Why? How did Jon save Mormont. There was a wight in his solar. How could he get there if he's supposedly repelled? It's different than Bloodraven's cave. The idea is the same. However, things have changed through time. The Watch is no longer noble, they break the oath constantly in mole's town. There's no said faith, in what the Watch did and stood for anymore. I'm not saying the wall nevermagically repelled them, but if it once did, it doesn't anymore. All the wall is is a physical structure, that would be powered by faith. It's why Melisandre's magic was more intense onthe wall, yet the wight was able to go after Jon/Mormont when he burned his hand.

I would summize the original Night's Watch, were a band of Andals/First Men who banded together to fight and win the wall by conquest. Then they hired Bran the builder, to build structures ont he wall, to further take ownership. They gave him all the credit for the whole thing. This is also hinted by Fomas.

lack of evidence isnt verification, or dissolution of anything. there are no pov's there. presented openly, they are in fact following the basic tennents of the oath. in black and white, it's followed, via loophole, but followed, the "doesnt mean" is redundant at this point and further pressed due tot he "lack of evidence" ideal. we're both right and wrong in this until another book is released, but i stand by my theory that theyre following the basic laws of the oath. whether or not the Watch inherited the oath after His exile and made it their own is up for grabs, we wouldnt know anyway being that they specifically, destroyed, all evidence on purpose. All you have to go on, is anything from 14th Lord Commander (and whatever HE says), onward. Im merely opening my eyes to other possibilities.

They steal babies, right? However, the parents of those babies are still alive and unharmed so long as they pay blood tribute, correct? This bolsters Other numbers, and as we know blood sacrifices (or sacrificing your baby as blood tribute) may or may not power magic. Perhaps it's the tribute, that empowers and keeps the wall active. Just because Bran put some bricks and built a few forts on a huge chunk of ice doesnt necessarily mean he cant take the entire credit for an element that they can manipulate.

I would further theorize, as i mentioned in another thread, that "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell," is among the same type of blood tribute. Perhaps the reason why there must ALWAYS be one there, is because that's their tribute (they ARE descended from First Men), keeping one there, not for security purposes, but kind of like a Ward. Perhaps per the agreement, pact, or what have you, a Stark must remain there. And now that there isn't presently, the weather's getting a bit harsher up there, isn't it? Would it be safe to safe a flurry or two has been accumilating since there hasn't been one?

The debate for lack of evidence doesn't prevent anyone from throwing out a theory whether or not you agree or disagree with it. There always will be lack of evidence, it's the basis for theorizing. I could put up the same banter on my end, there is lack of evidence to prove im actually wrong. Has any of what I said been disproven??

The debate of two walls stems from the actual words of the night's watch's oath and their wording: "I am the watcher on the walls." The existence of a second wall WOULD confirm that the wall was in fact constructed, cast, whatever, by The Others. If there were to be a second wall, it would exist in the shadowlands int he heart of darkness/heart of winter. This ties in with Quaithe's suggestion to Danaerys, when she exclaims "to go north, you must travel south, to go west you must first go east." Geographically, if Danaerys were to go southeast enough, she'd travel throught he shadowlands of asshai, throught he heart of darkness. On the map, and since planetos is round, if you go southeast enough you end up on the northwest section of planetos, or, The Land Of Always Winter, beyond-the-wall, and the heart of winter. One would suggest the Heart Of Darkness, and Heart of Winter are one in the same. If ANYTHING, this would be how Danaerys and her dragons SOMEHOW make it to the wall, then southward toward king's landing through Winterfell.

People, if you take Fomas into consideration from TWOIAF, The Others were nothing more than a tribe of First Men that branched off northward. Then the Andals came. Slaughtered First Men with Iron against their bronze, so much so (at least from what I've perceived) that a group of First Men sided with them to prevent any more bloodshed. They knelt to the Andals. These became the northern houses just south of the wall. The First Men that didn't kneel to the Andals remained north, or, The Wildlings. Chronologically, then the Wall was erected.

My thoughts:

One could theorize it was to keep the Andals and the FIrst Men that sided with them, out. There was an agreement. Perhaps a blood tribute, I would theorize to keep the wall up and running. However, The Andals/First Men south of the wall would win it, and push them upward with their iron weapons/armor. The children of the forest, made an agreement with them, and gave them obsidian daggers to fight The Others. in exchange, theyd make the gate and empower the wall further with a magic that repels all but the watch. Ah, but therein lies my next question. There is no magic blocking them, is there. Just the structure as a physical wall itself: Why? How did Jon save Mormont. There was a wight in his solar. How could he get there if he's supposedly repelled? It's different than Bloodraven's cave. The idea is the same. However, things have changed through time. The Watch is no longer noble, they break the oath constantly in mole's town. There's no said faith, in what the Watch did and stood for anymore. I'm not saying the wall nevermagically repelled them, but if it once did, it doesn't anymore. All the wall is is a physical structure, that would be powered by faith. It's why Melisandre's magic was more intense onthe wall, yet the wight was able to go after Jon/Mormont when he burned his hand.

I would summize the original Night's Watch, were a band of Andals/First Men who banded together to fight and win the wall by conquest. Then they hired Bran the builder, to build structures ont he wall, to further take ownership. They gave him all the credit for the whole thing. This is also hinted by Fomas.

No, but it's the responsibility of a person putting through a theory to provide evidence, and so far you don't have any. Their actions in no way follow any part of the NW oath. You're completely guessing based off absolutely zero evidence, which is all I was pointing out. You don't have a theory, you have complete guesswork. They're not the same thing.

Plants aren't sentient living creatures. Plants can't feel the horror as a mom watches her beloved children rip the throat out of their father. It's already been said that the zombies remember. Humans don't enslave plants and force them to watch themselves killing their former loved ones, probably screaming inside in silent horror at the atrocities that they're being forced to commit.

Face it. Everything we've seen the Others do is an evil act against humanity. GRRM can attempt to make them not evil but it's going to come across as ridiculous.

Well, Bran's whole experiences with weirwoods show that certain trees can, in fact, see. Question remains if they have some sort of magical sentience/spirit, though, or if they just act like Westerosi CCTV cameras. The Children of the Forest seem to be quite interconnected with the trees, so it might be that they consider the trees their brethren (not unike the Ents in LotR). We don't know much about the Others, but it might be that they see the world in a different way. And once you consider trees as living creatures - whether grounded in reality or just through some fancy religious beliefs - it's not hard to argument that humans treat trees just as badly as the Others treat humans.

Alternately, this can be flipped over. The Others may not consider humans to be "people" any more than humans consider trees to be people. As such, killing a human and using its corpse + magic to attack more humans would hardly be different from fashioning an axe from wood + metal, and use that to chop away more trees.

dude, the wall could have been cast, and then bran built the castles and night forts. all that one tunnel is is exactly that: a dug tunnel, witht he weirwood gate implemented. it's said the COTF alligned witht he watch and gave them obsidian daggers. easily, after the night's watch won it by conquest, they couldve built their castles/forts, made a pact witht he cotf, and had the cotf cast THE SAME magic thats on bloodraven's cave. the clues are there. The barrier is COTF magic, not Wall magic. Further bolstered by the weirwood gate and the night's watch/cotf alliance.

but the initial wall of ice? yeah, ive theorized for years it was The Others. you should check out my threads.

Furthermore, The Others also follow the basic tennets of the Night's Oath:

1) They TAKE Craster's children, so they "father" NONE

2) They take only the BOYS, so no females, and zero possibility to hold a wife

3) They appear nomadic, and there are no specific names of lands in the land of always winter, so they technically dont hold any lands.

Take Maester Fomas' words into consideration from TWOIAF.

Further: TNW destroyed all their records from The Night's King ---> and then backward. No one knows the true history of the watch (on PURPOSE), majority dont know the logistics or politics of what theyre fighting, just that "theyre bad, let's just get them."

"All crows are liars." - Old Nan. Every single one. Why?: Because they dont know what they swore when they swore the oath, and what they're doing.

I'm telling you, im calling it now, Old Nan had it right, The Night's King is a Stark, he's 13th Lord Commander Stark, The Last Hero, exiled north and villainized into The Night's King like Fomas suggested, and wielder of the original "Ice."

:agree:

My thoughts:

Didn't the Long Night occur before the Andals came?

Whoever built the wall, the real mysterious things for me is why are there not more wonders like it?

It's so far above and beyond anything that survives in this world that it's outight bizarre.

-''Lo' and behold, people, I am the UBER-GOD-MAGE with awesome, ubelievable power. Look as I raise a 700 feet high, 300 miles long and let's say 200 feet deep ICE WALL! This requires over 1.3 Trillions pounds of water!!! And that wall will not fall to pieces in summer, no good people, for it is MAGIC! There will even be magic secret passageway that open for people who recite the oath of the Night Watch. And it will work in 10 000 years even though the language will by then be completely different!''

-''Wow, you truly are an uber-god-mage, mister. What elese have you done before?''

-''Nothing of the sort. That was my first try.''

-''Oh, so what is your next project?''

-''I dunno. Fade into obscurity, I guess.''

Whoever built the wall, the real mysterious things for me is why are there not more wonders like it?

It's so far above and beyond anything that survives in this world that it's outight bizarre.

-''Lo' and behold, people, I am the UBER-GOD-MAGE with awesome, ubelievable power. Look as I raise a 700 feet high, 300 miles long and let's say 200 feet deep ICE WALL! That requires over 40 billions pound of water!!! And that wall will not fall to pieces in summer, no good people, for it is MAGIC! There will even be magic secret passageway that open for people who recite the oath of the Night Watch. And it will work in 10 000 years even though the language will by then be completely different!''

-''Wow, you truly are an uber-god-mage, mister. What elese have you done before?''

Maybe there are more structures in the Land of Always Winter.

jesus christ ive been saying this forever and all anyone says it's crackpot. it's a wall made of ICE. they BUILT the wall, THEN lost it to the night's watch, THEN they recruited bran the builder to build the castles and nightforts, and took credit for the whole thing.

What an ass... I hate when people do that!

-''Lo' and behold, people, I am the UBER-GOD-MAGE with awesome, ubelievable power. Look as I raise a 700 feet high, 300 miles long and let's say 200 feet deep ICE WALL! This requires over 40 billions pounds of water!!! And that wall will not fall to pieces in summer, no good people, for it is MAGIC! There will even be magic secret passageway that open for people who recite the oath of the Night Watch. And it will work in 10 000 years even though the language will by then be completely different!''

It is way, way bigger than that. At 200'x700'x300 miles, that is over 22 billion cubic feet of ice. A cubic foot of ice weighs over 60 pounds, so the wall actually weighs over 1.3 TRILLION pounds. If you melted the wall, it would cover an area of almost 800 square miles in water a foot deep.

It is way, way bigger than that. At 200'x700'x300 miles, that is over 22 billion cubic feet of ice. A cubic foot of ice weighs over 60 pounds, so the wall actually weighs over 1.3 TRILLION pounds. If you melted the wall, it would cover an area of almost 800 square miles in water a foot deep.

Yeah, I did the math on a napkin in 20 seconds, so to speak, and was off by a factor of 300 because I just did 5280*700*200... So my weight figure was for just ONE mile of wall!

I edited it.

-''Lo' and behold, people, I am the UBER-GOD-MAGE with awesome, ubelievable power. Look as I raise a 700 feet high, 300 miles long and let's say 200 feet deep ICE WALL! This requires over 1.3 Trillions pounds of water!!! And that wall will not fall to pieces in summer, no good people, for it is MAGIC! There will even be magic secret passageway that open for people who recite the oath of the Night Watch. And it will work in 10 000 years even though the language will by then be completely different!''

Build a Castle impervious to any storm, a castle that no shadow can pass through. A castle beyond the reach of the Gods of Fire and Wind.

Archived