Acrophobia #12. Congratulations to the Winner: a shadow!

honeyed chicken

Congratulations to the winner: a shadow!! :commie: :commie: :commie:

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die." Cersei Lannister to Ned Stark, AGOT

A metaphor for this game (Acrophobia) came to me this morning: a model ship in a bottle.

Your assignment is to tell a story about a given topic in 5 to 7 words. And oh by the way, you can only use words that start with the letters I give you. What's that? No, you may not rearrange them. SO it's like building a ship in a bottle, but I'm going to restrict the materials. You may use a piece of styrofoam, some cranberry juice, an egg shell, celery, and for a tool you may use Q-tips.

It says something about the human mind that we love this game. :)

Brand new players are absolutely welcome into our wonderful, wacky world brought to the forum originally by Emmit, for which we are all eternally grateful :cheers:

Here are the rules:

1. There will be 10 rounds ( :devil: fiendish of me, I know, but there's too many players in ASOIAF that must be considered to restrict the game to 7.).

Each round, you will be given a character from ASOIAF. She/he will be a living character with some chance of winning the throne by the end of the story (some may not even know they are in the game), or in some cases may already have a piece of it and be clinging for dear life. You may assess that character's chances of winning the game, discuss their methodology for playing, or analyze how good/bad they are at it. Or you can go completely off into the woods on a tangent, if that's what tickles your fancy. Doing so may or may not get you votes. We've seen it go both ways. :)

If you've played, you have some sense of what we as voters respond to. If not, you may want to look at some of the past games linked below. You can pretty quickly get a sense of the level of creativity w represent here and what kind of humor and insight we reward when voting.

• Entries must only contain words that begin with the letters provided; therefore, you may not stick in a word like a, the, of, and, etc or &, @. to make your answer make sense (although some pretty outrageous contractions have been allowed). Players will be asked to re-submit their answer if this happens. However, punctuation may be used, which may help increase meaning.
  • I'm going to do something a liiiiiiiiittle different with the letter selection. I'm going to use Scrabble tiles. I will reach into the bag and grab 5-7 letter tiles. I will make 4 or 5 little piles and consider the possibilities of each. Anything really stupid like E-E-E-R-E-E I will likely pass over in favor of something more balanced and workable. If there's an outcry for tougher groupings, then maybe I'll let the dopey stuff in. I will also not rule out using Q, X, or Z, but if one of them does appear, it will be just once per round and only twice in the game will I give you one of those 3. I recall in past games where Qs, Zs, or Xs were included and some players liked it. Others did not.

2. Scheduling: I'm planning to do Sunday/Wednesday/Friday deadlines at 8 pm, eastern standard time, USA, which is GMT -5. Please let me know if this schedule would discourage you from playing. An alternative, if most prefer, would be Monday/Thursday/Saturday. Weekends work better for me but I can be a little flexible if need be.

3. Entries should be PM'd to the game host Honeyed Chicken. Please title your PM Acrophobia 12 - <insert your Board Name> and keep all communication to one thread so the host's inbox does not implode.

• You may edit/change your entry until the submissions window is closed, just be sure to let me know in a new reply.

4. After the deadline, I will post all received submissions on this thread. In the hours before the deadline I will send reminders to any regulars who haven't gotten a submission in (once you've joined the game at any point, I will consider you a "regular" :) ).

• Entries are to be anonymous, so don't reveal which is your entry. Revealed entries will be disqualified.

5. Players will then have ~48 hours to vote for their favorite entries.

• Please vote in thread by putting your favorite entry first, preceded by the numeral 1. Then put your second choice preceded by the numeral 2. Finally put your third ranked entry third, preceded by the numeral 3. Please bold your selections and include the submissions number (each round each submission will be numbered).

For example:

1. <Submission #> Best explanation
2. <Submission #> Second best explanation
3. <Submission #> Third best explanation

• You may not, of course, vote for your own entry.
  • You may change your vote up until the voting window closes by editing your original voting post.

6. After Round 1 submissions are over, voting and the submissions for a new round will run simultaneously.

7. Points will be awarded as follows:

• 1 point for a submission
  • 1 point for voting
  • 3 points for someone choosing your answer as their top choice
  • 2 points for someone choosing your answer as their second choice
  • 1 point for someone choosing your answer as their third choice
  • 4 points for having the answer with the most 1st place votes
  • Points will be added across the 10 rounds and the person with the most points at the end of round 10 will be the winner

8. New players may join at any time, both during the submission and voting.

9. This is a very late addition to the rules. There have been questions about whether or not submissions should be required to stick to the theme given by the host and about how concise (or not) the theme is/should be. I would suggest future acrophobia hosts address this question here at the start (I wish I had).

My philosophy of hosting this game is that sticking to the theme is nice but not required.

It is up to the voters to make the writers stick to the theme or not. If voters give preference to submissions that adhere closely to the theme, then writers will write lines that fit the theme. That leaves the answer to the question (how closely should we stick to the theme?) up to the players. That's who the decision should be made by, not by the host.

Previous Acrophobia games their winners. Well worth a browse if you're new to the game:

Acrophobia #1: Seven Kingdoms // Sixchins

Acrophobia #2: Eight Events // Sixchins

Acrophobia #3: Seven Devils // Turinqui-Calima

Acrophobia #4: Seven Deities // Turinqui-Calima

Acrophobia #5: Pleasantly Plump // Asshat Ahai

Acrophobia #6: By the book // Evermind

Acrophobia #7: Fan Theories // Howlin' Howland

Acrophobia #8: Little Known Facts About the Reeds // Fragile Bird

Acrophobia #9: Raven Messages // Dolorous Gabe

Acrophobia #10: You Are The Prophesier // Lady Blizzardborn

Acrophobia #11: Animal Life in Westeros // Dolorous Gabe

OK.

What have I forgotten? (thank goodness for the "edit" function!! :) ) :commie:

Deadline for 1st round entries: 8 pm Sunday, Brattleboro time (there's only one Brattleboro, so we're easy to Google)

It's GMT -5. = 1 AM, Monday in London, England, UK and 5 pm Sunday in Portland, OR, USA.

#1. Tommen - H V D E U G

Our players will be arranged least to worst. In this case, worst = best, or best chance of winning the throne, but probably not a nice person.

Tommen is gentle and submissive to his mother's wishes. He likes kittens and admires Loras Tyrell.

But hanging over his head like the Sword of Damocles is Maggy the Frogs dire foretellings. Will Tommen keep the throne? Will he keep his life? His kittens? Discuss.

This will be interesting!

I'm not a fan of weekend deadlines, but I'll make it work. Thanks for jumping in to host HC!

What works better, Mon/Wed/Sat? Mon/Thurs/Sat, or Mon/Wed/Fri? I can do solely weekday times if you prefer, but you will have to check my scoring more closely. :)

I found twice a week deadlines are the best... Tuesday/Friday. If you push it to three a week, you are going to either have to

A. Push the deadline a lot

B. Be a hard ass and end rounds whether all entries are in or not.

With 10 rounds, it better be B. Otherwise we will be playing at Christmas.

Archived