Daenerys Did Not Have A Miscarriage

Queen.Sansa.Lannister

I've seen it tossed about many times on this forum that Daenerys suffered a miscarriage on the Dothraki Sea at the end of ADWD. This is then used as an example of MMD's accidental prophecy coming true. But this never made any sense to me, for these reasons:

1. MMD's prophecy stated "when [Daenerys] bear a LIVING child." A miscarriage is not a living child. It is the opposite.

2. Her symptoms align EXACTLY with the bloody flux. And, conveniently, Dany had walked among those afflicted with the flux and let them touch her.

Am I really the only one who thinks she only had the bloody flux?

Dany thinks the blood is comin' from her vajayjay. I hope she would be able to tell which hole is which, and AFAIK there's no symptom of the Bloody Flux that causes blood to come outta there.

So, maybe it's just a really heavy period but seems more likely it's a miscarraige considering the amount of blood and that it seems she's missed a couple of months.

Dany thinks the blood is comin' from her vajayjay. I hope she would be able to tell which hole is which , and AFAIK there's no symptom of the Bloody Flux that causes blood to come outta there.

So, maybe it's just a really heavy period but seems more likely it's a miscarraige considering the amount of blood and that it seems she's missed a couple of months.

This made me think of Orange is the New Black

I think it was a miscarriage, but I also think it doesn't prove MMD's prophecy to be untrue or null and void because all the things happened or anything. If anything it supports the theory that she is unable to have children.

Being able to conceive =/= being able to carry to term aka "bare a living child".

Dany may be the brand of infertile that can conceive fairly easily but can't carry to term, thus will have miscarriage after miscarriage. That can happen with Targs in general, or it could be because of a curse. We don't know. Nothing is proven yet.

Can't say I'm a woman but I would think Dany would be able to tell if she was bleeding from the back door or the front.

Definitely. As a woman I can say this is true. For starters, different organs are involved.

Yet, her inexperience in life makes normal that she didn't realise she was pregnant too.

-spoiler for the easily shocked-

A miscarriage in the earlies weeks can be easily confused with a heavy bleeding. Even older women nowadays, with access to information about birth control and reproduction -something Dany lacks- wouldn't realise they were pregnant until they saw themselves having more blood than usual and going to a doctor.

Can't say I'm a woman but I would think Dany would be able to tell if she was bleeding from the back door or the front.

Not always, depends on the severity of the bleeding. Don't want to be gross but you can tell if its clots which a miscarriage would be. I don't know about anyone else but my period doesn't just start with 'blood' running down my legs. Women couldn't go outside some weeks if that happened.

Definitely. As a woman I can say this is true. For starters, different organs are involved.

Yet, her inexperience in life makes normal that she didn't realise she was pregnant too.

-spoiler for the easily shocked-

A miscarriage in the earlies weeks can be easily confused with a heavy bleeding. Even older women nowadays, with access to information about birth control and reproduction -something Dany lacks- wouldn't realise they were pregnant until they saw themselves having more blood than usual and going to a doctor.

You only feel the organs if you cramp though. I can't say I feel a difference due to organs but then I've never bled out the bum. It can be worrying if its light and not on schedule, I've had that before. That could be from anywhere.

Ignore the easily scandalised, its a fact of life. They can deal with books about beheadings, burning alive, guttings but get squeamish about a natural period?

MMD says "when you womb quickens" which seems to be what happened to Dany. It might not be a miscarriage, it could just be a massive period. Or maybe the berries that she ate are the ingredients to moon tea or some other miscarriage inducing berry.

Probably a miscarriage. Dany's naturally developing symptomatic fibroids are less dramatic :p

Your point makes the assumption that she was ever actually barren in the first place.

She had become sexually active again in recent months, something she wasn't in between losing Rhaego and sleeping with Daario and Hizdahr. She thinks that it had been a while since her last period. And she bleeds after a very specific action: eating the poisonous berries.

It is very obviously a miscarriage.

Not everyone dies from the Bloody Flux (which I take to be dysentery), but they're flat on their back for weeks. Dany is badly ill for a day and a half, after eating poison berries. Prior to that, she's suffering from thirst and sunstroke.

I believe it was a miscarriage.

Not only was she bleeding out of her vagay, she also described (paraphrasing)

Feeling her insides ripped into ribbons or something similar.

That all checks out to me, but hey maybe she had the miscarriage as a result of both having the bloody flux and eating moontea-like berries.

All in all she did not have a good time at dragonstone.

I wouldn't characterize either as front or back. They both kind of point downwards and usually are less than an inch apart.

When I was little, though, I thought the vagina was in the same location the penis is on a man, instead of corresponding to the back of the scrotum.

Archived