Your Images of the Characters

WinterRaven

The voices (those Charles Dance, Maise Williams, Nikolaj Coster-Waldeu, Patrick Malahide mainly) of the HBO characters sometimes affect how I imagine their tone and sound, but the actors looks and those of other real individuals have never affected how I imagine their apperances. That's simply not possible for me.

I'm curious about how you guys imagined the characters when reading ASOIAF? What kind of mental image did you have of them and what kind of voice did you give them?

Some of the characters that come to my mind as distinctive are Stannis, Roose Bolton and Jaime Lannister. For Stannis I always seemed to picture his head mainly, and his jaw specifically. This is probably because Martin always talks about him grinding his teeth. I also imagined him with a voice similar to Chris Hemsworth as Thor for some reason.

Roose Bolton I imagined sort of as a cartoon. I'm not sure why. I thought my picture of him was pretty similar to the show version of him though surprisingly. It was difficult to imagine the voice though because he's always described as talking very quietly.

I'm not sure why either, but I also couldn't see a real person as Roose. He is more a severe looking cartoon in my imagination. Kinda like this: http://sir-heartsalot.deviantart.com/art/The-Boltons-feat-Reek-261756335

The Ramsay in the pic is kinda how I see him too.

-Inigo Montoya from Princess Bride, imagine him bald and stacheless, switch spanish accent to italian and you have a perfect Syrio Forel :D

I know all the jokes about Inigo-Oberyn, but no :D

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/pb/inigo.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/7/78486/2193294-inigomontoya1.jpg

He's immediately who I imagined as Oberyn as well.

Johnny Harris-Stannis Baratheon ,If you've seen Welcome to the Punch, you'd know what I mean, seeing as he has the short beard, the strong jaw & the thinning hairline that matches the book description.

I think it's funny you should mention that, since Mark Strong was also in the movie and he is almost exactly how I imagine Stannis. And funnily enough Agent 47 from the Hitman games, who he dressed similarly to in the beginning! In fact, the Stannis of my imagination is a morph of Mark + 47.

I tend to see a lot of Michael Dunn, who played Dr. Miguelito Loveless on the original television version of The Wild, Wild West, in Tyrion, but with some Armin Shimerman (Quark on Deep Space 9) and a lot of former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich mixed in in the voice.

I can't think of any real person as Tyrion while I'm reading the book, I have to turn to fanart for a more accurate depiction, since I can't think of anyone in real life who's that ugly as Tyrion is described. Plus, you have to imagine the lack of nose from the BW onwards.

Generally, some actors from the show have affected the way I see characters, but only those who more or less look like their book descriptions. So, I picture, for instance, the Jaime, Varys, Jaqen, Sansa (aged down a bit), Tywin, Oberyn from the show, but I definitely don't picture the Renly, Jorah or Tyrion from the show, since they don't look anything like their descriptions. In some cases, the two are mixing in my mind, for instance, I can picture Sean Bean's or Maisie Williams' body language and facial expressions, but I have to change their facial features to how their characters are supposed to look like in the book.

Still that's how I picture him in my head.

Also someone like Tawny Kittain for Catelyn she's supposed to be hot.

The original choice for Catelyn, Jennifer Ehle, would have been pretty good, and there's a certain resemblance between her and Sophie Turner (the only thing that doesn't fit is that Ehle's eyes are brown, I think).

Still that's how I picture him in my head.

Also someone like Tawny Kittain for Catelyn she's supposed to be hot.

The result of deciding to stretch the timeline and age everyone up. I actually really like Michelle Fairley as Cat as far as her acing goes. She's amazing as Mama Stark. (There's no doubt in my mind that she could have done the RW scene right if they had actually written it right.) But yes, she's a lot different than the beauty that Catelyn is described as being.

Urgh, no. Sansa is supposed to be incredibly beautiful, and everyone wants to get into her pants. That does not fit with Kristen Stewart at all.

It's not necessarily the looks, it's more the attitude, if you know what I mean.

And Kristen Stewart is hotter than Emilia Clarke.

I'm not sure why either, but I also couldn't see a real person as Roose. He is more a severe looking cartoon in my imagination. Kinda like this: http://sir-heartsalot.deviantart.com/art/The-Boltons-feat-Reek-261756335

The Ramsay in the pic is kinda how I see him too.

Yeah Roose in that picture is pretty similar (not exactly the same though) as how I pictured him. Some other people that I didnt mention in the OP are Tormund Giantsbane who I sort of imagined as a dwarf with a long red beard.

Sort of like this, but with red hair:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061210200530/wowwiki/images/2/20/Mountain_king.jpg

I also imagined Balon looked sort of like Denethor from the The Return of the King movie. Patrick Malahide hit the voice that I had in my head dead on though.

Lastly, Barristan the Bold I pictured as looking something like Sir Longarm from the game Stronghold.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140913010615/steamtradingcards/images/b/b2/Stronghold_HD_Artwork_1.jpg

Thanks for sharing everyone. Its neat to see how everyone imagines these characters and what the similarities and differences are.

The result of deciding to stretch the timeline and age everyone up. I actually really like Michelle Fairley as Cat as far as her acing goes. She's amazing as Mama Stark. (There's no doubt in my mind that she could have done the RW scene right if they had actually written it right.) But yes, she's a lot different than the beauty that Catelyn is described as being.

I'm not really fancasting. I picture her that way when I'm reading the books. Michelle Fairly was beyond amazing in the RW scene. I sob every time I watch it. Just thinking about her voice and that catatonic look she had. Gives me chills.

That I can think of..

When Eddard was said to be neither as large nor as handsome as his older brother I imagined him as Faramir and Brandon as Boromir of LotR.

Jon Snow as Ben Barnes in Prince Caspian of the Narnia movies. Lean build, Dark hair.

Roose Bolton as an older version of Cillian Murphy.

Archived