Why do so many people think that Dany/Jon/Stannis will ...

Mithras

Personally I don't think any of those three will die in such a manner(If they ever die), I don't see the whole "sacrificing life for mankind" as something GRRM will write. The sacrifices in the story seem to be more about a sacrifice of wishes and desires which ties in with the whole human heart in conflict, which is what GRRM is more interested in.

Because these are main characters the whole series is based on and if they are going to die, it better be in a blaze of dragin riding, valerian steel swinging, Westeros saving glory

If any of my favourite characters were to die I would obviously love for them to die that way but I don't see why GRRM would write a character's death that way just cause they were popular.

Ned was the main character of AGoT.

This

Why do so many people think that Dany/Jon/Stannis will ...

... get married? Because people are starting to think they should totally get married. :dunno:​

No, but seriously: I think it's the Ned Stark effect? Everyone thought Ned was the main character of the series and look what happened to him. Now, how these three are looking like main characters, we sorta are expecting them do die?

If not that, I'm sure there is some literally trope that make us expect them to die, because even if the reader never read something of the like, tropes ingrain themselves in the popular imaginary, but I'm not sure of the details or examples to talk more for now. I'm going to do a quick research!

THREESOME!... Sorry.

Its the goal of Jon and Stannis to fight the Others, and from what we've seen of Danearys its apparently her destiny, in a traditional story that indicates that the former two die and the latter wins the day, despite the former two being more noble, in my opinion, think Boromir vs Aragorn. This isn't that traditional of a story though, and Boromir is GRRM's fave LOTR character, so people curveball and say Dany will die.

Stannis is a foregone to die, for most people, since his destiny doesn't truly appear to be his own but Dany's, but his goal is still noble, which indicates the classic tragic hero, add in no POV chapters and we have the recipe for a gonner. Jon and Dany are the ones that make you wonder.

But we're 5 books in and I make no assumptions.

I am actually inclined to think that none of the three will die in such fashion and that Jon will not die at all.

The way I see it, the foreshadowing points to Daenerys dying while giving birth; Jon resisting his last and greatest temptation and remaining at the Wall (or what is left of it); and Stannis slipping past the moral horizon and creating that abomination seen in Shireen's dreams and Daenerys' visions at the House of the Undying (probably by burning Shireen alive).

Stannis fans need him to do something important before he dies to justify their misplaced love. I don't know any Dany fans that think she'll die saving the realm from the Others.

At the current point in the story, Stannis has already done way more for the survival of Westeros than Dany. Not that it's a pissing contest, but if you want to turn it into one...

So no, Stannis has already done plenty to "justify" any "misplaced love".

Not that I'm ruling out the possibility that Dany and/or Jon will eventually eclipse his accomplishments, because yeah their raw potential (from a literary point of view) is way bigger.

I don't "need" Stannis to die, I just expect him to - others have already laid out why it seems to be hinted at, hell the man himself expects it. And I think he's worth supporting anyway.

Archived