Sansa a good character?

dRagonese

Howdy, I have noticed a lot of Sansa love on the boards and am just hoping people can explain to me where this comes from. The only chapters I struggle through are any of Sansa's chapters and Blondie o'Tarths Feast chapters(i love Brienne but the chapters were not my favorites but deep down i hate Sansa). She is the reason Ned is dead along with the whole household guard and even the septa she loved so much. Her ignorance is just slap worthy and her attitude towards Arya who at that point is just a little girl is appalling. Help me like Sansa, help me see the light!

Check out some of the Pawn to Player threads, listen to some podcasts about Sansa, get into some discussions and you'll hear the arguments. You're not guaranteed to like Sansa more, but there's definitely posters that keep Sansa discussions lively.

I see Sansa as the Scarlett O'Hara of Ice and Fire. She relies on the kindness of strangers, she armors herself in her courtesies, she's learning social norms aren't all they're cracked up to be, and her constant ambivalence makes better discussion of what she might do rather than what she will do.

Howdy, I have noticed a lot of Sansa love on the boards and am just hoping people can explain to me where this comes from. The only chapters I struggle through are any of Sansa's chapters and Blondie o'Tarths Feast chapters(i love Brienne but the chapters were not my favorites but deep down i hate Sansa). She is the reason Ned is dead along with the whole household guard and even the septa she loved so much. Her ignorance is just slap worthy and her attitude towards Arya who at that point is just a little girl is appalling. Help me like Sansa, help me see the light!

Ned is the reason Ned is dead, you don't go to the women who was involved with the paralyzing of your son, order the death of a daughters Direwolf ( a wolf was going to die that day no matter what ) and tell her your going to her husband ( who is King by the way ) with proof she's been screwing her brother and none of those kids are his.

Sansa was 12 years old and naive the worst she can be blamed for is she got herself and Jeyne Poole captured as hostages.

ETA: Who also planned the death of her husband in a hunting incident.

In my opinion, it's true that Sansa starts off very naive and a bit classist. But, I would add that Sansa is never mean or cruel, in my opinion. But, as the series progresses Sansa learns a lot. I think she has learned not to judge people on looks or their birth status. Sansa is basically a kind hearted person.

Trying to pin the entire blame on Sansa for the misfortune that befell the Starks is horseshit in my opinion. Ned made some bad errors in judgement. I like Ned and I think he was a good man, but his errors cost the Starks a lot. Trying to pin the blame on a 11 year old girl for the downfall of a great noble house is ridiculous.

Also, I think Sansa's POV chapters are interesting.

You just stirred up the fervent Sansa-defenders-and-excusers nest. At one time they will claim she is not ignorant, and not a little girl, and then later they will use that argument to explain why she basically betrayed Ned and her family( "she didn't know any better)

On a more serious note, the Sansa in the first books is an annoying, naĂŻve little girl. The hard world has made her sober up though, and she's not all naĂŻve anymore at the end of AFFC. Sansa lovers admire her strenght, amongst other things , which isn't a clear " I will kill anyone in my path"- strenght, but a much more subtle and realistic, humane strength. She's been in some horrible sitautions, and she's still trying her best to keep going.

Even if you don't like her chapters ( I don't either), she deserves respect.

Sansa was just a little girl and Arya didn't exactly have a great attitude to her as well.

Agreed Ned is the reason Ned is dead. But Sansa was a big help in the downfall. So far i am gathering that people like Sansa because she was a Naive turkey who litterally was the oppposite of what is needed to survive this novel who then is Manipulated into a sociopath by a man named after his lesser man region. Is that the gist of the Sansa love?

I didnt like Sansa from the beginning even though the direction her character is taking is becoming more interesting. This transformation is only occuring because she is evolving into a combination of the people who have been mentoring her since Ned's death; Cersei, Margery, Lady Olenna, and Littlefinger all make her smarter. But will she become a crazy, treacherous, b**** ruler or be an honorable, duty driven Stark?

Agreed Ned is the reason Ned is dead. But Sansa was a big help in the downfall. So far i am gathering that people like Sansa because she was a Naive turkey who litterally was the oppposite of what is needed to survive this novel who then is Manipulated into a sociopath by a man named after his lesser man region. Is that the gist of the Sansa love?

Ned underestimating Cersei's resolve is on Ned. Ned's failure to procure reliable military forces in preparation for a potential Lannister coup is on Ned. Ned's failure to act while Robert was alive and his power as Hand was still in force was on Ned. Sansa had nothing to do with any of that. Sansa shouldn't haven't gone to Cersei and she was wrong to do that, but she is hardly the sole reason why shit went down hill for the Starks in KL.

I didnt like Sansa from the beginning even though the direction her character is taking is becoming more interesting. This transformation is only occuring because she is evolving into a combination of the people who have been mentoring her since Ned's death; Cersei, Margery, Lady Olenna, and Littlefinger all make her smarter. But will she become a crazy, treacherous, b**** ruler or be an honorable, duty driven Stark?

I think she become a Stark version of the QOT, namely you won't be f$@#*&^ with her family if she can do something about it.

The idea of Cersei making anyone smarter... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Archived