Best literature from female and/or african american authors?

Mormont'sRaven

Why do you want to read authors of marginalized groups besides their marginalization? The thread title just strikes me as seeing two different (albeit overlapping) groups as basically interchangeable.

I am wondering, is there a reason that the only proposed alternative to the white man author was african-american women authors?

I am not sure that it always implies significant differences in the culture backing the work, or at least that foreign authors, male or female, could not offer a wider variety than keeping to american authors from the one major minority (heh) would, if that makes sense. What is the goal of the exercise?

I am wondering, is there a reason that the only proposed alternative to the white man author was african-american women authors?

I am not sure that it always implies significant differences in the culture backing the work, or at least that foreign authors, male or female, could not offer a wider variety than keeping to american authors from the one major minority (heh) would, if that makes sense. What is the goal of the exercise?

There isn't only one alternative and the OP was pretty clear on that.

There isn't only one alternative and the OP was pretty clear on that.

That is an interesting interpretation of "They don't have to all be black and female. Some can be female. Some can be just black." and that is totally missing the point of my question, but thank you for your input.

C’mon, Errant Bard. The phrase “African American” is an euphemism for “with a significant part of their recent ancestry in Sub-Saharan Africa and culturally identifying with this ethnicity”. Choosing the phrase “African American” (over many other available phrases, such as African, Negro, Coloured, Urban, or Black) signals a fidelity to progressive values. By an artefact of language, such an expression that also encompasses individuals that happen to be, say, French is currently not available to the American audience.

The semantics in the OP are clear, and so is the social signalling desired by choice of terminology.

You may, of course, be just deriving some perverse satisfaction from pointing out the in-built inconsistency between ostensible inclusiveness of American progressive values and the implicit cultural oppressiveness of language policy, a perverse hobby that I myself am prone to. But it’s really for another thread.

Well, I am noting that the OP actually both uses "black" and "african-american" indeed, but from his post it's not actually clear to me that he actually considered authors that are not american or indeed, neither black nor white, and I wondered why... if that was an oversight, a product of culture in america making african-americans the go-to minority, that automatically conjures others, or overshadows them, or a conscious decision to limit the diversity of his bookshelves to black and white and american.

I also was interested in a reason why one wanted to read books from african-american authors specifically (at the exclusion of other social groups/ethnicity), ans it seemed too specific to easily conclude from this that it was merely a request for culturally different books. Also what he thought the colour of the skin of the author would change if the author partook in the exact same culture as the white guys, optionally.

It was just questions I had, I am interested in what comes before the choice -the roots of the question-, nothing malicious, but sorry for this interruption.

C’mon, Errant Bard. The phrase “African American” is an euphemism for “with a significant part of their recent ancestry in Sub-Saharan Africa and culturally identifying with this ethnicity”. Choosing the phrase “African American” (over many other available phrases, such as African, Negro, Coloured, Urban, or Black) signals a fidelity to progressive values. By an artefact of language, such an expression that also encompasses individuals that happen to be, say, French is currently not available to the American audience.

The semantics in the OP are clear, and so is the social signalling desired by choice of terminology.

You may, of course, be just deriving some perverse satisfaction from pointing out the in-built inconsistency between ostensible inclusiveness of American progressive values and the implicit cultural oppressiveness of language policy, a perverse hobby that I myself am prone to. But it’s really for another thread.

I'd say that 'black' is probably the term favored by progressives over 'African American' in the US, but I could be wrong. African American seems kind of outdated. Check out the US politics thread, and you'll see that most of those espousing progressive ideals use 'black' more often, where as conservatives tend to use 'African American'.

Archived