Crackpot Varys identity theories

Thrice Drowned Veteran

I think Varys definitely has some Targ/Blackfyre blood. Just the name Varys sounds very Valyrian, awfully similar to other Targaryen names like Aerys, Jaehaerys, Viserys. Not to mention the shaved head is awfully suspicious, then again Varys is older he could just be bald.

I think Varys definitely has some Targ/Blackfyre blood. Just the name Varys sounds very Valyrian, awfully similar to other Targaryen names like Aerys, Jaehaerys, Viserys. Not to mention the shaved head is awfully suspicious, then again Varys is older he could just be bald.

is he "older," persay? he could be 30s/40s. shaved head is definitely suspicious, and they never do quite get into his eye color, though, i think thats on purpose by our sleazy author :P

i would shit myself if he was the last reyne, scheming to rid lannisters and re-ascend targs

is he "older," persay? he could be 30s/40s. shaved head is definitely suspicious, and they never do quite get into his eye color, though, i think thats on purpose by our sleazy author :P

i would shit myself if he was the last reyne, scheming to rid lannisters and re-ascend targs

Well it isn't uncommon for some seriously unfortunate men to go bald as early as their 20's. I also never even gave a thought that he could be a Reyne, that would kick so much ass.

Well it isn't uncommon for some seriously unfortunate men to go bald as early as their 20's. I also never even gave a thought that he could be a Reyne, that would kick so much ass.

it's doubtful, and believe it or not much more likely to be a targ/blackfyre/or even from aerion's lineage.

he has valyrian blood though, thats for certain. the combination of his name, and further the reason for his snipping (valyrian blood powers blood magic best, not kingsblood), and to add that the ritual took place in that general area of the world.

it adds up where he could be targ/etc, but more importantly very likely to have Valyrian blood, at the very least.

Varys was presumably no younger than 16-18 when he went to KL after Duskendale, which was 24-25 years ago. So I doubt he is younger than 40. But I am skeptical that he is significantly older than that.

Varys came to KL about 17-18 years before the beginning of the story. I do agree that he can't be younger than 40.

ETA: I would guess Varys to be between 43 and 53 years old.

I don't think he is that old. He is more middle aged, in my estimation.

Plus I don't go in for brightfire lineage theories very much. Too many targ off-shoot families with hidden descendants all around and doing plot important things would get a little ridiculous. Some backstory is just for world building purposes, right?

I personally prefer Varys to be a "nobody" exactly as he claims he is. I feel that giving him ties to a nobility ruins his character. He's above that. Everyone in Westeros is blood, honour or oath bound to someone or something. It gives them a purpose and a status but it also limits them. Varys doesn't have that. He seemingly poses no threat to anyone but is able to play and fool everyone. Unlike most of the Westerosi, Varys doesn't believe that having a surname makes you in any way special.

I believe that Aegon is a Blackfyre but I don't think that's the reason why Varys wants him on the throne (that's Illyrio's motivation) so I am eager to find out more about the eunuch and what's his game.

EDIT: The story has enough secret Targaryens as it is. If Varys' motivations are simply to get back what he believes is rightfully his (even if through a puppet), then his character and his motivations is exactly the same as everybody else's in Westeros. He'd be just serving his House, be it a Blackfyre or some other cadet branch of Targaryens. I prefer Varys being possibly the only character that truly has only his own agenda in mind and doesn't serve any bigger cause.

IMHO, Illyrio wants Aegon on the throne because he is his son and/or the last descendent of the Blackfyres through his wife Serra. Varys just wants a puppet on the throne that he can control. He probably does believe that his scenario will ensure the most stability and prosperity for all but it's still solely his vision and ambition. Both Illyrio and Varys want Young Griff on the throne but for different reasons, so there's a possibility that they might clash with each other at some point in the future.

I think he is the son of Maegor Targaryen. Obviously, his name was not Varys back then. He faked his death (maybe during the Tragedy of Summerhal - I have a theory that Varys was the saboteur at Summerhal) and then went across the Narrow Sea to conspire with the Blackfyres.

I think he is the son of Maegor Targaryen. Obviously, his name was not Varys back then. He faked his death (maybe during the Tragedy of Summerhal - I have a theory that Varys was the saboteur at Summerhal) and then went across the Narrow Sea to conspire with the Blackfyres.

Maegor would seem to be around mid twenties at Summerhall, I doubt he had children old enough to be a saboteur at Summerhall.

Archived