House Hightower A Complete Mystery?

Sages

In my view, there's a few houses like Hightower, Dayne, and Reed that seem to be more important or have/know something more than has been let on.

From Dawn, to the CotF, and Hightower/Citadel ties and their origins. They're my favorite speculative things about the series at the moment.

We know the maesters might have been instrumental in bringing about the demise of Westeros dragons but did it strike anyone else that while Targ blood might have been weakening, it was really with the advent of marriage with Alicent Hightower that the dramatic demise of both dragons and dragon rider blood began.

That's just on the Targ family tree itself. And then we get all the Hightower water references. These are the original sea people it seems, predating the First Men, big oceangoers, almost like they were the first to land after a flood, and tied to the Lovecraftian oily stone and Deep Ones.

So Alicent Hightower of this sea-salty heritage marries into the bloodline of fire. And the bloodline starts rapidly diluting. Alicents kids all die out eventually. Targs later marry Martells, another watery house, and no more dragons are born. Not until it gets an influx of earthy Blackwood, and a few sister-brother marriages, does the bloodline revive enough to produce Danaerys.

Combine this with the fact that Alicent's dad was aligned with the Oldtown citadel and might know Hightower briney blood could prove Targaryan cryptonite. Plus, at the time of her marriage he was the Hand of the King! And the political Dance of Dragons starts ending with almost all the dragons dead and hardly any dragonlords able to bond new ones.

I smell a rat!

I knew there was a reason why Alicent Hightower is my least favorite character in all of ASOIAF. The more I learn about her, the less I like her.

She played nursemaid (and perhaps more) to Jaehaerys I. She remained around the Targaryens long enough to "catch" Viserys I once Aemma died.

I call shenanigans.

House Hightower just gets weirder the more I think about it. And after that part that suggests some Valyrian tragedy in Oldtown, I'm beginning to believe that the Hightowers had something to do with the death of dragons on Westeros.

Yes, and as many of us suspect, the maesters wouldn't be above plotting to rid Westeros of not only dragons, but all things Valyrian... and we know the maesters are trained in Oldtown.

House Hightower can't be easily dismissed. GRRM's been laying the clues throughout not only the non-ASOIAF books, but also through what we know of the maesters and Oldtown in canon.

Lord Harlan Tyrell was rewarded with Highgarden and dominion over the Reach for surrendering Highgarden to Aegon the Conqueror. That seems rather excessive. Lord Manfred Hightower opened the gates of Oldtown so Aegon the Conqueror could be crowned by the Faith and legitimise his rule and was rewarded with what? I wonder if Lord Manfred was severely annoyed that a mere steward was granted dominion over the Reach over him.

If they were going to welcome Aegon, which they did at Oldtown, why did they forfeit HighGarden I never got why they left in the first place.

Archived