Is the golden age of TV over now?

JonArryn

That's why the 'etc.' was there :P

EDIT: Etc. is used in English right? It comes from the Latin Et cetera and it means 'and so forth'. In my language we use this abbreviation quite often, but perhaps it's not as common in English?

Although, I personally disagree with Frozen being good. The music was very good, but the movie overall falls into the mediocre category.

It is commonly used, but I thought it would be prudent to mention it since it was the number one movie of last year and this year.

By this criteria Michael Bay's Tranformers movies are all-time masterpieces.

If people are going to pay money to see it, then that's all that matters.

However, comparing "Frozen" to "Transformers" is disingenuous. It actually WAS a good movie. As the mother of a 5 year old daughter, I don't think it's fair to discount family movies simply because they are aimed at a younger age group. I have to sit through enough asinine crap that I appreciate a kids' movie that I can sit through and enjoy.

However, comparing "Frozen" to "Transformers" is disingenuous. It actually WAS a good movie. As the mother of a 5 year old daughter, I don't think it's fair to discount family movies simply because they are aimed at a younger age group. I have to sit through enough asinine crap that I appreciate a kids' movie that I can sit through and enjoy.

Eh, this might be one of the reasons you enjoyed it.

Family movies can be excellent. Disney has proven so many times in the past. The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Bambi and there are many others. Frozen just doesn't belong in that company. Besides the music, nothing was really remarkable in the movie. At times it was positively stupid. Both How to Train Your Dragon films were much better. They were less flashy sure, but they had a lot more heart and story. And from what I heard, Wreck-it-Ralph and the Lego Movie were also much better than Frozen.

That being said, Frozen does not deserve to be lumped in with the Bay monstrocities. The Transformer movies are all utter crap, while Frozen is just mediocre. It's much better than Transformers.

I haven't seen Frozen and I'm not in a particular hurry though I probably will eventually, but I have no idea how that's supposed to work.

As a guy, I didn't enjoy it. There are plenty of films based around women that I could get into (Black Swan comes to mind), but I was cringing a lot while watching Frozen.

Also, I was not actively comparing Frozen to Transformers. I was comparing the idea that a box office gross doesn't have anything to do with a film being good.

Also in the last 2 years I've watched quailty French/Swedish/Italian drama so it's also become more diverse.

I think this is a very good point that we haven't really discussed here. There are some really great shows coming out of France, Sweden/Norway, and the UK, and for the first time US viewers are able to see them.

I haven't seen Frozen and I'm not in a particular hurry though I probably will eventually, but I have no idea how that's supposed to work.

I don't have any kids but from what I can tell from some of my friends, a lot of people who have young kids watch so much god awful TV/movies that things that are halfway decent start to look like masterpieces.

Based on what criteria?

Frozen made tons of money and, more importantly, built a brand. It's been a long time since Disney studios made something successful enough to do that. (Pixar has been the one building up new merchandising properties for the past decade or so)

By this criteria Michael Bay's Tranformers movies are all-time masterpieces.

For the studios, they are. Bay delivers a product that makes a shitload of money and he usually does it on or under budget. They love him despite the fact that he's an absolutely terrible director.

Watching True Detective S1, it did occur to me that the show was bumping up against the edges of what the Golden Age can accomplish. Long-form storytelling, outstanding actors, messing around with narrative and chronology, etc, but it struggled with the depth of its themes. The show never really did more than skim the surface of the metaphysical concepts Rust ruminated on, whilst a novel could have done a lot more. More time would have helped (as it did with The Wire), but I do wonder if the downfall of the so-called Golden Age will be when writers can't take the medium any further than it can go.

My one fear is that of the superhero genre. I love me some comic related TV but I am very wary of "shared universe" TV taking off. Marvel is on its way with Netflix and CW are slowly growing their franchises as well. I don't want TV to turn into comics where I have to watch several shows in order to understand one or worse yet have to go and see a movie as the "event" of the season's TV shows. It will ruin viewing for me in much the way MArvel and DC comics have drove me away. Hopefully some channels will remain as "indy" programmers.

I'm actually interested to see what happens to Wild Cards. SyFy's option won't last forever and when it expires I wouldn't be surprised to see HBO grabbing ahold of it like a drowning man clutching a life raft. Superheroes, adult content and something they can plaster "From the writer of Game of Thrones (and some other people)" all over the advertising? Not to mention the distinctly non-GoT problem of not running out of source material very quickly, not with 23 books to draw on.

Eh, this might be one of the reasons you enjoyed it.

Or maybe I enjoyed it because it had a decent story, good music, excellent animation and a useful message. I don't like schlock just because it's aimed for children. Just like I don't like schlock just because it has big explosions and lots of noise. Is Frozen comparable to some art house film? No- but that doesn't make it bad. But it's definitely on par with much of Pixar's stuff, which is the current ceiling for animated films.

Well, it was. They haven't really been up to their own standards since 2004, Toy Story 3 aside.

Really? I'd comfortably rank WALL-E and Up as their best films. Although even they are getting on a bit now.

Really? I'd comfortably rank WALL-E and Up as their best films. Although even they are getting on a bit now.

For me, Wall-E is 45 minutes of utter masterpiece but the rest is a lot less interesting, particularly when the shamefully heavy-handed environmental and anti-corporate messages start up. I wish the whole film had been told in the almost silent-movie style, that could have been great.

Up is even more extreme - the opening is a fabulously told short story but the rest is, while good fun, a fairly standard and erratic adventure thingy.

Incredibles, Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc are comfortably their best, for me, although I do see why people put the Toy Stories up there with them.

Archived