Is the golden age of TV over now?

JonArryn

Does no one think Big Love or Six Feet Under rate? IMO the former was the best show on television for its first 3 seasons. Six Feet Under went through spottier stretches in its six five seasons, but finished with one of the most brilliant and satisfying series finales ever.

Does no one think Big Love or Six Feet Under rate? IMO the former was the best show on television for its first 3 seasons. Six Feet Under went through spottier stretches in its six seasons, but finished with one of the most brilliant and satisfying series finales ever.

I think Six Feet Under absolutely belongs in the conversation. It's a very underrated show. It also has the best series finale to date imo. It only had 5 seasons btw.

Didn't care much for Big Love.

Didn't care much for Big Love.

How much of it did you watch? A lot of people didn't make it past the first few episodes because of the initial table-setting... Juicy parts for Harry Dean Stanton and Bruce Dern alone make it at least worth your while IMO. Not to mention Chloe Sevigny's best role. I feel like Bill Paxton's character is difficult because he's not very likeable but neither is he a bad-boy anti-hero. You realize pretty quickly that the three wives are the real protagonists, making it more of a "women's show".

How much of it did you watch? A lot of people didn't make it past the first few episodes because of the initial table-setting... Juicy parts for Harry Dean Stanton and Bruce Dern alone make it at least worth your while IMO. Not to mention Chloe Sevigny's best role. I feel like Bill Paxton's character is difficult because he's not very likeable but neither is he a bad-boy anti-hero. You realize pretty quickly that the three wives are the real protagonists, making it more of a "women's show".

Watched most of it. I didn't watch it religiously, so I missed episodes here and there. Definitely not on par with most of the HBO greats. Thought the ending was pretty terrible tbh.

I also loved Big Love, especially the first three seasons. They really belong up there with HBOs top shows. Unfortunately the fourth season was pretty much awful and derailed the series beyond repair and turned the show into a soap. The fifth tried to fix the mistakes from the fourth but that was not possible.

I think Wertheads list pretty much nails it!

Also, I'm rewatching The Sopranos with my wife (she hasn't seen it before). I'm surprised how well it holds up today still!

It is fucking hilarious, as was mentioned earlier, and so well written. It is quite interesting to watch it with knowledge about what's gonna happen later, especially the therapy sessions.

If House of Cards is a better show than Game of Thrones, I'm Batman.

Seriously, House of Cards s02 should be re-titled "Everyone but Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright has the IQ of a 2 year old".

Haven't seen Season 2 yet. Season 1 was pretty good, but relied on a lot of filler. The entire run of the UK series, all three seasons, was 12 episodes. Having 13 to do less than a third of the same story (the events at the end of the original UK Season 1 don't happen until 1 or 2 episodes into Season 2 of the US version, I understand) resulted in too much wheel-spinning.

That said, it was mostly pretty good. And the filler was resonably well-done.

Is Boardwalk Empire or Treme in the conversation? Halfway through Season 1 of the former and it's pretty damn good. Not far off the quality of some of the shows we're talking about.

I love Boardwalk Empire more than most so I certainly think it belongs in the convo even just for its directing, cinematography and ensemble. One of the best looking shows ever. I love the story too though.

If you like season 1 you're probably gonna love season 2-4 which I feel are all stronger than 1.

Never seen Treme or Big Love.

*snip*

Friday Night Lights is up there in my opinion. I don't think we can really put True Detective in yet since it's only one season - lots of shows have had stellar seasons (see: Prison Break, Heroes) that aren't top tier shows. I think The Shield (which people have already mentioned) inarguably belongs. I also agree with the people saying House of Cards doesn't belong - I thoroughly enjoy the show, but for the same reason I enjoy The Blacklist - two actors portraying straight-up villains and just chewing all the scenery around them.

I think comedy is a separate discussion entirely, but I like most of the shows people have mentioned above.

Haven't seen Season 2 yet. Season 1 was pretty good, but relied on a lot of filler. The entire run of the UK series, all three seasons, was 12 episodes. Having 13 to do less than a third of the same story (the events at the end of the original UK Season 1 don't happen until 1 or 2 episodes into Season 2 of the US version, I understand) resulted in too much wheel-spinning.

That said, it was mostly pretty good. And the filler was resonably well-done.

Is Boardwalk Empire or Treme in the conversation? Halfway through Season 1 of the former and it's pretty damn good. Not far off the quality of some of the shows we're talking about.

Treme...tried to create a picture of a city similar to The Wire but simply never had the same resonance. Perhaps it was because there wasn't a conventional (but great) plot that could take center spot and have all the other stuff built around it?

Wrt Boardwalk Empire and Treme,the former belongs in the discussion, but not the latter.

Boardwalk is easily in my top 10 all time. As for Treme,I really wanted to love it,but it never quite got there for me. It had some great performances, but it was dragged out a little too long. That story could have been told in one season.

Treme...tried to create a picture of a city similar to The Wire but simply never had the same resonance. Perhaps it was because there wasn't a conventional (but great) plot that could take center spot and have all the other stuff built around it?

I just don't think you can match the combined experience that Ed Burns and David Simon have with Baltimore.

For me, Boardwalk Empires problem was the characters. I didn't care what happened to a single one of them.

Really? The interesting thing for me about BWE is that the female characters (Margaret and Jimmy's wife in particular, but even side-characters like Jimmy's prostitute friend who commits suicide) feel like they are the emotional heart of the show, even if Nucky's exploits are the narrative focus point. That's only after 6 episodes though, so it might move away from that later on. But I've been rather impressed with the way the show handles its characters so far. Even Nucky is kind of sympathetic, I felt for his exasperation in dealing with his out-of-his-league dunderhead cop brother.

The only BE character I really care about is Jimmy. To a lesser extent I like Chalky White and Richard Harrow, but that's about it.

Although I applaud BE for killing Jimmy at the end of season two (that was a shocker), I have lost interest in watching what happened to Nucky and the others. I should probably check out the other seasons, but I'm not looking forward to a show where I don't find the other characters particularly compelling

Archived