Bill Cosby - how is this possible?

zelticgar

Manhole- in the Polanski case, she wasn't just underage, she was 13 and he drugged her. None of the charges persued were statuatory rape, they were rape, molestation, providing controlled substances to a minor, things like that. 13 is not an age where statuatory rape applies even with consent, that's still considered molestation

Manhole- in the Polanski case, she wasn't just underage, she was 13 and he drugged her. None of the charges persued were statuatory rape, they were rape, molestation, providing controlled substances to a minor, things like that. 13 is not an age where statuatory rape applies even with consent, that's still considered molestation

Ah, I stand corrected. I thought at one point both the victim and her mother backed Polanski's claim that the sex itself was consensual.

A 13 year old cannot legally provide consent, and a drugged adult cannot legally provide consent

I heard the lady interviewed this year, after she published her book. I remember she said she was doing a shoot with Polanski, and everyone went back to his place and she was handed a glass of champagne and started drinking, without realizing how badly it would hit her, and then everyone went into the hot tub, naked of course, but I don't recall she was "drugged". Maybe they were smoking dope, can't recall, but in Cosby's case he seemed to regularly use some form of tranquilizer or date rape drug that he put into drinks.

Yeah, I'm just explaining the legal difference, at that age and in a drugged state, nothing even the victim says can change the legal status of the consent. I think public haziness on what constitutes consent is a huge factor in the prevalence of commentary like "not rape rape", so, clarification at all relevant opportunity is really important

If you have the stomach for it you can read the polanski victims original testimony here. It seems to me as if the media have done a very good job of downplaying the severity of the allegations over time.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/roman-polanski-grand-jury-transcript

Roman Polanski's victim was given a sedative pill as well as alcohol and then taken into a room and raped after she repeatedly told him "no".

That isn't consent even if she had been an adult at the time, even if she says she wasn't particularly traumatized by it and is going with the whole "forgiveness" thing now.

"To Russell, My Brother Who I Slept With" was one of the first comedy albums I ever listened to with my parents. I think we even listened to it as on a record player.

I don't want to believe the allegations are true, but as an article pointed out in the Atlantic, it's pretty hard to believe that 10+ women would make up their stories, especially now, since they have little or no motivation or incentive to do so.

On the one hand, it means a bunch of people are lying in some grand conspiracy to bring down Bill Cosby, on the other hand, the man a whole lot of people looked up has gotten away with sexual assault numerous times. I think if it were almost any other celebrity, there would be almost no doubt as to his guilt.

It's awful either way but, if the accusations are true, I feel so bad for his victims.

Fuck.

She was drugged with Quaaludes and given alcohol.

Nope. Didn't remember that at all.

She was given a sleeping pill. Here's an interview: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2435255/Samantha-Geimer-Roman-Polanskis-rape-victim-describes-sex-attack-graphic-time.html

And it was at Jack Nicholson's house, not Polanski's.

So, I ask you, why was Jack Nicholson not tarred and feathered almost as badly as Polanski? His house, he let it go on in his house, his hot tub, that he let a 13 year old girl get into naked, his champagne, that he allowed served to a 13 year old.

And that pretty well describes what goes on in our society. Not all men are bad, as is always pointed out, but so many men stand by silently, or even encourage wrongdoing or enable it.

She was given a sleeping pill. Here's an interview: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2435255/Samantha-Geimer-Roman-Polanskis-rape-victim-describes-sex-attack-graphic-time.html

Yeah, that's more or less what I recall reading. It's a bit interesting how often "I took some drugs" becomes "I was drugged". Not that this justifies anything untowards that happens afterwards, it just seems to be a bit of a reoccurring theme in stories such as this.

Yeah, that's more or less what I recall reading. It's a bit interesting how often "I took some drugs" becomes "I was drugged". Not that this justifies anything untowards that happens afterwards, it just seems to be a bit of a reoccurring theme in stories such as this.

Well... she was thirteen. I get what you're saying, but certain examples reflect badly on general arguments.

She was given a sleeping pill.

Yes, a quaalude just like Xray said. It's a sleeping pill that was mostly used as a recreational drug to induce feelings of arousal and makes people very pliable. Even your link describes him as plying her or convincing her to take it. This is the drug they do all throughout Wolf of Wall Street. Was huge back when this happened.

"Hey 13 year old, take this mysterious pill it'll totally be a good time!" She was drugged.

They gave a 13 year old alcohol and recreational drugs to make her pliable and then he raped her.

Well... she was thirteen. I get what you're saying, but certain examples reflect badly on general arguments.

I was referring to the mother. I wouldn't try spinning giving drugs to a minor. I'm not even saying the mother wasn't necessarily drugged. It's just another aspect of these types of cases that boil down to He said/She said, and it makes them that much harder to navigate. The prosecution says she was drugged, the defense says she took drugs, etc, etc.

But yeah, I wasn't comfortable posting that, but it is something I wonder about.

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that Polanski's victim SAID NO over and over again, she asked him to stop, she said she wanted to go home, both before and during the rape.

What she did before that is kind of not relevant. Even under the influence of drugs and alcohol, SHE. SAID. NO. There is no grey area there.

Arguing over particulars seems strange.

Yes, a quaalude just like Xray said. It's a sleeping pill that was mostly used as a recreational drug to induce feelings of arousal and makes people very pliable. Even your link describes him as plying her or convincing her to take it. This is the drug they do all throughout Wolf of Wall Street. Was huge back when this happened.

"Hey 13 year old, take this mysterious pill it'll totally be a good time!" She was drugged.

They gave a 13 year old alcohol and recreational drugs to make her pliable and then he raped her.

Yeah, there's no defending or justifying that bit.

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that Polanski's victim SAID NO over and over again, she asked him to stop, she said she wanted to go home, both before and during the rape.

What she did before that is kind of not relevant. Even under the influence of drugs and alcohol, SHE. SAID. NO. There is no grey area there.

Arguing over particulars seems strange.

It's not complicated: no one thinks he's innocent (well, I hope so).

It's like coming in and telling people that there is no grey area with the Nazis if someone discusses some less explored facet of their conduct.

Archived