Dorne's absense

MizasterJ

Is it ever mentioned why Doran and the rest of Dorne for that matter chose to stay neutral during the war of the 5 kings. It would seem like that was a grand opportunity to get revenge on the Lannisters.

Any theories why they didnt get involved?

and how bout this; If Robb Stark had come to them asking to ally how would that conversation go?

I hope it's not off topic but is there anything mentioned about dornish participation in Roberts Rebellion?

I believe Dorne declared for The Mad King, as one of the Maretels served on the Kingsguard (and was slain in battle... on the Trident, maybe?). I could be wrong.

What JCRB said.

And also, Doran's idea of "revenge on the Lannisters" does not involve thousands of small folk dying in pointless internecine fighting. And Renly was playing at war and Stannis was a long shot. This is all quite apart from the fact they he probably wants revenge on the Baratheons as much as he want it on the Lannisters and wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire.

I hope it's not off topic but is there anything mentioned about dornish participation in Roberts Rebellion?

They sent 10, 000 spears under Prince Lewyn’s command to the Trident after the Mad King pointed out that he had Princess Elia and her kids as hostages. I think Doran’s instinct for for neutrality even in that case. It’s kind of how he rolls.

Doran plays to win. Joining the war would make little for Dorne.

Also, they had their own plans for taking revenge.

This. We know Dorne is weak, and we know Martells can wait. Oberyn, who is as hot-headed as they come, waited years to take revenge.

Doran has plans, and his plans don't involve dragging Dorne into a suicidal civil war. He knows the developments in Essos are crucial, and he's kept Dorne intact, peaceful, ready to act when action will help its cause.

I haven't read a World of Ice and Fire. My sense is that Dorne is, historically, not aggressive--they defend themselves viciously when they are threatened, but they are not expansionist. Is that true?

Yes. 10,000 Dornishmen fought at the Trident.

Doran didn't declare for anyone in the Five Kings because he had reasons to hate all the claimants - the Lannisters killed his family on behalf of the Baratheons and the Starks were the main supporters of the Baratheons. Why should he support any of them?

10.000 is not much. Rhaegar should have married Cersei.

And give the realm to Tywin Lannister? Do you think Tywin would not have used the fact that his grandson would be the future king to his advantage and influence him to do what he wanted?

Aerys felt threatened by Tywin, the people claimed that Tyrions looks were a punishment from the gods because he was arrogant and thought he was above the king. Yes, Aerys was mad, but there could have been a bit of truth in the rumors that Tywin tried to exercise more power than his position would allow him.

Is it ever mentioned why Doran and the rest of Dorne for that matter chose to stay neutral during the war of the 5 kings. It would seem like that was a grand opportunity to get revenge on the Lannisters.

Any theories why they didnt get involved?

and how bout this; If Robb Stark had come to them asking to ally how would that conversation go?

A civil war between those who murdered Elia/kids and those who climbed the IT by stepping on their corpses? Small wonder Doran didnot choose any sides.

I haven't read a World of Ice and Fire. My sense is that Dorne is, historically, not aggressive--they defend themselves viciously when they are threatened, but they are not expansionist. Is that true?

The general impression I got is that the Dornish might not be the best or most useful allies, but they are the WORST enemies you can possibly have.

They were kind of into raiding into the Marches, but no. The borders of Dorne have been well defined and constant since Nymeria’s day. And it really helps that they have perfect natural borders on all sides.

The general impression I got is that the Dornish might not be the best or most useful allies, but they are the WORST enemies you can possibly have.

They were kind of into raiding into the Marches, but no. The borders of Dorne have been well defined and constant since Nymeria’s day. And it really helps that they have perfect natural borders on all sides.

Thank you! In that case, what do you think GRRM meant when he said that Doran is "playing to win"?

How does Doran interpret winning? Will he be satisfied with wiping out the Lannisters? Does he want a Martell on the Iron Throne? Does he want to destroy the Iron Throne? Marrying Quentyn to Dany, and Arianne to Aegon would imply either that he wants a Martell on the throne, or that he wants the throne destroyed. The Quentyn plan is so weak, that I can't buy it. Why would Doran, an intelligent man, assume that Quentyn would survive the long, dangerous trip to Dany, or that Dany would be willing to marry him if he succeeded in getting to her? Why assume that Aegon is capable, and who he says he is? There are also the Sand Snakes, placed in the sept, on the council, and in the Citadel.

I can't begin to figure out what his plan is.

What JCRB said.

he probably wants revenge on the Baratheons as much as he want it on the Lannisters and wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire.

Really? I have never found any evidence of this. I take it you mean soley on the fact that The Baratheons took Elia and kids hostage during the war? what else would warrant this?

Really? I have never found any evidence of this. I take it you mean soley on the fact that The Baratheons took Elia and kids hostage during the war? what else would warrant this?

Robert looked aside at the murder of Elia and the kids, and no one was punished. In fact, he rewarded Tywin by marrying his daughter. Also, Robert never set foot on Dorne, but sent Jon Arryn.

I wouldn't say they "hate" the Baratheons, but definitely see Robert as an usurper.

Archived