Robert's Hunting Party aka Bloodraven on Parade

Roose on the Loose

The story of a hunting trip is largely about humans reacting to the behavior of animals. In this case it starts with a white hart who allows himself to be seen. White harts are rarely so careless, but they're liable do do any damn thing with a greenseer all up in their consciousness. Robert is a predictable dude and he reacts predictably. He chases the hart.

Does Robert nab the legendary creature? no. Wolves warged by BR get the hart, but a great black boar allows himself to be sighted. Predictable Robert. A boar might not be as tempting as a genuine white hart, but it should certainly do for salvaging a shitty hunt. And I don't think the hart could have drawn Robert into the same close quarters combat that a boar can. What does the boar do? It kills the King. A little help from Cersei, but this boar, BR again, has probably watched Robert fight in a hundred melees, and knows all his moves.

Why kill a fat old drunken sot of a king? Because Robert is trying to kill Dany. She is BR's great great niece, but I think BR somehow knows that Dany is the last dragon, and that Westeros needs her to deal with the Others. Although Robert does die before the dragons are born.

Why kill a fat old drunken sot of a king? Because Robert is trying to kill Dany. She is BR's great great niece, but I think BR somehow knows that Dany is the last dragon, and that Westeros needs her to deal with the Others. Although Robert does die before the dragons are born.

No he wasn't, he called that off so Ned would stay as the Hand.

No, of course. There must be an omnipotent and omnipresent master puppeteer controlling everything and everyone. Otherwise, the story doesn't make sense.

i think there must be two similarly positioned, in terms of knowledge and power/influence, yet diametrically opposed, in terms of goals or desired outcomes; the true eponymous players of the game.

which is clearly chess, in all but name, and despite the life or death predicament the pieces perceive themselves as being in, those who are the real movers and takers are often friends, often sitting across the same table.

two people with superhuman abilities, ambivalent, hostile, friendly, maybe even kin to one another.........and when all is done, on the board, it starts all over again.

of course in chess, the king is an un-take-able piece, always surviving, and rarely sees combat due to his weak physical abilities. under threat, he is obliged protection, no matter the risk or cost.

is there a metaphor for an abundance of metaphors?

i think there must be two similarly positioned, in terms of knowledge and power/influence, yet diametrically opposed, in terms of goals or desired outcomes; the true eponymous players of the game.

which is clearly chess, in all but name, and despite the life or death predicament the pieces perceive themselves as being in, those who are the real movers and takers are often friends, often sitting across the same table.

two people with superhuman abilities, ambivalent, hostile, friendly, maybe even kin to one another.........and when all is done, on the board, it starts all over again.

of course in chess, the king is an un-take-able piece, always surviving, and rarely sees combat due to his weak physical abilities. under threat, he is obliged protection, no matter the risk or cost.

is there a metaphor for an abundance of metaphors?

I think it would be funny if there were really only two players in the shadows and Littlefinger turned out to be a piece himself!

I think it would be funny if there were really only two players in the shadows and Littlefinger turned out to be a piece himself!

little-tiny-finger is so a piece.

he is a p®awn, made to feel like a lobster, by the fisherman.

believing you are a lobster, then discovering you are a prawn, is more humbling than a lifelong understanding of prawn reality.

patchface explained it to me.

I thought the boar worked for Littlefinger?

In a sense...

It wasn't the eunuch. Varys told king and council about Daenerys being pregnant to drive a wedge between the Ned and Robert. He wanted Robert alive though--it was not yet time to parade the bastards in front of Cersei's brood and begin a crisis of succession--and that was why he was "helping" the Ned to "protect" Robert. But the Ned learned too much too quickly so Varys set him up to be ambushed by Jaime.

Meanwhile Littlefinger saw that with Cat's capture of Tyrion and Tywin preparing for war it was time to spring the trap. But when Robert renamed The Ned as Hand Littlefinger knew he had to remove the Ned's principal backer from the board so he had word reach Cersei's ear of a monstrous boar...

"Is there word of the king?" Ned demanded. "Just how long does Robert intend to hunt?"

"Given his preferences, I believe he'd stay in the forest until you and the queen both die of old age," Lord Petyr replied with a faint smile. "Lacking that, I imagine he'll return as soon as he's killed something. They found the white hart, it seems . . . or rather, what remained of it. Some wolves found it first, and left His Grace scarcely more than a hoof and a horn. Robert was in a fury, until he heard talk of some monstrous boar deeper in the forest. Then nothing would do but he must have it. Prince Joffrey returned this morning, with the Royces, Ser Balon Swann, and some twenty others of the party. The rest are still with the king."

Doesn't that sound a lot like the way Petyr told Sansa he set up Joffrey with Olenna, but spreading stories about Joffrey's cruelty?

Archived